Guiding the new black belt further

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
To listen, read and watch, it wouldn't be hard for an outsider to think that a new black belt is a yellow belt "once-removed" (like cousins). Not asking for fault finding, but positive directions: What do you seniors find yourself focusing on to help the newer black belt continue growing. (I realize that can be very individual, but am asking in case you see common needs or patterns).

Thanks,
Carl

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
New black belts (brown belts too frequently) often need their horizons expanded. At this level, they should be powerful and very capable compared to the other colored belts and ego and a feeling that they have 'arrived' often comes into play.

At this point, I like to peel back the onion skin another layer for them, so they realize that there is yet a lot more to learn and master. It's a tough proposition, I think. Show too much and you might daunt the student. Show too little or pick the 'wrong' aspect to emphasize and you will bore the student or drive them to another training path altogether. Hopefully by now though the teacher and his student will have a strong personal relationship so the conversation will be a relatively comfortable one.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Attaining Shodan should be day one of training. Everything up until then is prep work.

Nomad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
As a black belt, I love going to classes or seminars that switch things up and basically have me feeling like a white belt again. It's a great reminder of how much there still is to learn, and how few steps I've really taken on that journey.

It can be something as simple as doing a kata you know well (especially a weapons kata if you have any) as the mirror image of what is normally done (obviously not a big deal if kata is symmetric!).

Or it can be delving into completely new concepts; either advanced concepts from your own art or borrowed ideas/techniques from other arts and showing the similarities and differences from how you normally would do what you do.

These things can help break out of the routine of regular training (which is still important of course, but in which your improvements may be incremental over a long period of time) and get them excited again like they were in their first days of training.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Up to BB is just building the foundation. BB and after is putting the skyscraper up.

I think one of the most important things is to already let them know through all of the previous ranks that BB is just the beginning. I think that is why so many quit after they have gotten it, it was the final goal for them and they never really planned on the "then what?" question.

I think each style is different though because some don't have more material after black and it is just mastery and refinement of the older material and in other styles there are new katas to learn so they have that goal to look to. If they have new material, start showing it at earlier levels and how it will tie everything together and what new concepts are out there.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Once a student reaches 1st Dan, I tend to leave them alone and let them do what they want. 1st Dan is a time of decision, whether or not they wish to continue training. I try to let them make their own minds up about that. If they choose to quit, then ok. If they want to continue, then terrific. But they have to make that decision, not the instructor. I see so many instructors doing all sorts of stuff to try to get their 1st dans to continue, only to be utterly disappointed when they quit. Those instructors feel like they invested all that effort and time, only to have that student quit, and so all that time spent was wasted. I don't think that is a healthy place to be. So instead I give them their freedom at 1st Dan, and whatever they decide, is fine with me.

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
When I returned to dojang afther several years I came with a humble position, if my new sambonim wanted me return to white belt I would acepted in fact I told him this, but my sambonim know my ex sambonim and knwos he produced cuality black belts so I kept my black belt, however in my mind I knew hard work was coming and I took that day as number one, so I agree the day before black belt earning is day number one in the real journey, before that all was preparatives for the long journey.

Manny

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
I know when I got my first dan I changed classes to a class where first dans are so lowly ranked they line up at the back. For me, being surrounded by 4th, 5th and 6th dans was a constant reminder of just how much more there is to learn (particularly when sparring them). That has always kept me hungry to continue learning.

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Once a student reaches 1st Dan, I tend to leave them alone and let them do what they want. 1st Dan is a time of decision, whether or not they wish to continue training. I try to let them make their own minds up about that. If they choose to quit, then ok. If they want to continue, then terrific. But they have to make that decision, not the instructor. I see so many instructors doing all sorts of stuff to try to get their 1st dans to continue, only to be utterly disappointed when they quit. Those instructors feel like they invested all that effort and time, only to have that student quit, and so all that time spent was wasted. I don't think that is a healthy place to be. So instead I give them their freedom at 1st Dan, and whatever they decide, is fine with me.

On this topic, Glenn and I are in agreement. By this time the student has invested anywhere from 1-5 years (or more). They are now at a point where they should be able to make an intelligent, informed decison as to the course of action they wish to pursue. An instructor shouldn't need tricks or gimmicks to force them to stay. If they chose to leave then the instructor should feel the satisfaction of giving them a foundation in his/her art and wish them the very best. If they chose to stay then the student has demonstrated not only loyalty but a desire to delve deeper into the training. As most of us already know, first Dan isn't the end, it is the beginning.

As the old saying goes, "you can lead an elephant to water but you can't push one in"!

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
When I returned to dojang afther several years I came with a humble position, if my new sambonim wanted me return to white belt I would acepted in fact I told him this, but my sambonim know my ex sambonim

It's sabumnim, not sambonim. Sambo is some sort of russian martial art.

OP
S

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
There's so much to learn...I'm like a kid in a candy store. What I'm focused on right now is looking hard at what I 'think' I know (or have developed a habit) technically and testing it more closely. I'm taking Glenn's description of the roadmap for second dan as a starting point and focusing on power through good technique. Working at application I'm focusing on fluency with combinations/footwork. Another ten years and I might have the basics down. I look forward to the learning.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's sabumnim, not sambonim. Sambo is some sort of russian martial art.

Remember sir, English is not his first language, much less Korean. And whether or not you are correct depends on the Romanization you choose to use.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't know about TKD since I never advanced far enought to know. My slight recollection is that I was told mostly you learned new forms, and tried to increase your speed, strength, and ki. There were also some new kicks and things related to that.

In the Hapkido I learned, I was taught all the techniques to 3rd Dan. We were constantly learning new techniques. I was told that at the 4th Dan level, much healing was taught. I never progressed that far. But up to 3rd Dan, there was almost no repeating of previous techniques, it was always something new. And apparently the same was true for 4th Dan.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
Remember sir, English is not his first language, much less Korean. And whether or not you are correct depends on the Romanization you choose to use.

While I know English is not Manny's first language (and Korean less so), I appreciate the effort he puts in to write in English.

However, there is no romanisation method for Korean that would convert 사범님 to Sambonim (unless you count choosing random letters by hitting a keyboard with a squirrel to be a romanisation method).

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
To listen, read and watch, it wouldn't be hard for an outsider to think that a new black belt is a yellow belt "once-removed" (like cousins). Carl

While outsiders are too naive to make subtle distinctions, if in viewing the overall abilities fo a group of yellow belts and a group of New Black belts from the same school, if their abilities were that closely related I would that would be a problem.

Back in the 1980's I observed a large Black Belt test. About 40 candidates from First thru third degree.

What I noted is that although the Seniors in the group, 4th and 5th Dan Candidates, probably in their mid 30's may have shown a little less physicality as far as how how they jumped or actual speed with which their limbs moved, I noted an overall smoothness of motion and efficiency of movement lacking in the younger (Teens and 20's) and lower BB candidates group.

To this date, this is something I still take note of.

RobinTKD

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I think you have to train them through the coloured belt stages to not think that a black belt is the end, for me, i always thought of a black belt as the beginning, and when i achieved my first dan, it felt less like an achievement, and more like the start of the true challenge. Now i'm perfecting techniques that before i was only competent at, i'm learning harder and more technical patterns, and, as Mr Weiss observed, trying to attain that smoothness which comes with years of experience and seriously in-depth knowledge and mastery of your own body.

Latest Discussions