how do you deal with aging

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Im just turning the corner of the 48 and every day is getting harder and harder, I am talking about the aging, it's simple, my joints,tendoms and muscles refuses to cooperate and this sometiomes desmotivate me a lot.
Kicking is the main thing in TKD and not to be able to kick fast and high makes me wonder what I am doing trying to fight nature or againts the aging process?

What do you do to overcome a little the aging process and stay a little felxible.

Manny

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm a couple of years younger myself, but I feel what your saying. I have to slow things down and listen to my body. I'll only push it so much before I back off. I'm in it for the long haul so I don't want to end up hurting myself and setting my training back.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Speaking as one that I believe is older than everyone in this post so far and has been guilty of pushing it to far for my age (at lest that is my excuse) and not giving any real sage advice other than what has already been said.

Listen to your body, and that is harder than it sounds because your mind keeps telling you not to listen to that whinny thing and just keep going. Of course the mind is not the one that is going to be injured either and those injuries can take you out of training completely. and if you think you were stiff before the injury, just wait until after. And here is another thing about age; you do not recover as fast as you use to and there are some things you will not recover from fully at all.

What has helped me, once I started looking at the whole physical and mental picture is something Tony mentions in his article, Yoga that is absolutely what keeps me going, but even there you have to pay real close attention and not over do it because Yoga done wrong, or over done, can hurt you too.

Remember, as said in Tony's article "its a marathon, not a sprint"

Here's something I wrote on the subject a couple of years ago, when I was a year older than you are now: Surviving the Marathon BJJ Contemplations

Nice article Tony, I am going to print that out and put it in a note book I have dedicated to MA and training. Thanks for posting that

Last edited:

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Short answer seems to be, "accept it, and fight it."

Funny story, I've likely told before. I've posted about my friend and teacher, Anthony Davis. Anthony was 86 when we met, in fact, it was on his birthday. I'd just turned 36 myself....I asked him, right out, What's it feel like to have gotten that old?....guy looked like he was gonna hit me for a second-Anthony was fierce!....instead, he replied with what I've come to call "Anthony's Curse."
I feel just like I'm 16, and there's something really wrong with me.....

It's Anthony's "curse," because every couple of years (each decade, now, even) since then, I know more and more what he meant.....First thing I'd say you really have to start doing is measuring and metering everything-while your endurance won't go down much, it's best to hold back a little on some things to preserve them, and prevent injury: you probably don't take many falls in TKD, but, for myself, one way I've done this is actually limiting the number of falls I take for my jujutsu students-I keep count, and stick to that number.....pretty soon, now-likely some time after 60-I reckon I won't be taking more than one or two....in any case, figure out where you can concentrate, and where to cut your losses-with you, it's kicks: is that 720 degree jumping spinning kick really worth even trying for at this point? It's hard on the hips, and not really something that you're going to "need." If you can already do it, then you're probably not going to get much better at it, at 48-save it for demos, and practice it when you have one coming up-but as little as possible. If you can't do it yet, well then, forget about it. That's right-you're 48 years old, and if you haven't mastered something requiring such a level of athleticism, you're not gonna....not kicking fast and high, well-how can you kick and remain in the game? What's "fast?" What's "high?" Could you be a little faster if you aim lower? Just sayin', 'cause-and here's the sad truth: you will not ever kick faster and higher than you do now.....

It should probably be likewise with your sparring-start limiting those sessions, because it's just gonna take you longer to recover. Tony's article was right on all counts-yoga-just stretching for stretching's sake-will not only help you maintain flexibility, but help prevent injury and maintain muscle tone and range of motion-if you do have that helicopter kick, this is more key than actually doing the kick.....

I guess, though, for me-and Tony's advice about "going with the flow" follows this-at our ages, a "less is more" approach is called for-it's kind of up to you to figure out for yourself (by listening to your body) what that means....but in free practice, it typically means altering strategies and tactics to accommodate changes, and focusing on what we're good at. I've had physical issues-three deep-vein thrombosis, that's blood clots, in the same leg-that have made me have to abandon some of my old standbys: I shouldn't-and don't-deliver shin round kicks with that leg anymore...which is too bad, since that shin to the thigh could take a lot of fight out of people, once......I'm working through that, though-turns out (surprise) my left leg isn't discernibly weaker than the right, and not much slower.....leave off those things that are more likely to lead to injury, or that simply aren't going to be "go to" items for you, and concentrate on the go to stuff-this is, after all, the essence of mastery-to perform those things that you have perfected in a dominating fashion....

A lot of martial artists in our age group-especially those in karate or TKD-wind up with leg joint problems-hip and knee replacements aren't uncommon. Same for judo...I count myself as lucky that I don't see any of those in my (immediate) future, given the use I've had of them, over the years. A couple of more trips to the doctor are called for, at our age...getting ahead of issues like this is key to maintaining any kind of activity.

Lastly, I'd say start looking at supplements-our bodies stop producing or processing stuff we need at this point (actually, before) in our lives, and there's a variety of legal, over the counter substances that can help some with this-though there's a lot of argument about some of this, so I'll leave the hunting down of what works for you up to you.....

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
48? I can almost emeber back that far:) To minimize soreness, take an anti inflamatory - Ibuprofen with a little food, half hour before workouts. Ultra marathoners in great shape use the pre medication technique. If experiencing Joint sorenss after workouts use ice. Walgreens sells a velcor wrap with a pocjket that holds a re freezeable pouch. I would wear that for 20 minutes after a run.

Monimize high impact activities like jumping and heavy bag strikes (use target paddles / mits instead0 and concentrate on full range of motion activities.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'll suggest the following simple "solo drill" to reduce your aging. If you can

- bend your head down,
- kick your leg up, and
- remain single leg balance,

not only you can maintain flexibility, you will never have to worry about falling down during old age.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Manny, I'm your age, and have a disability that has made training harder as I've gotten older. I appreciate your question and I'm right there with you. My answer is stretching, strength training, cardio, physical therapy when needed, massages, and realizing I'm not a kid anymore. I stopped trying to keep up with them.

I'm in your corner, my friend.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Stretch, warm up well prior to training, cool down afterwards. Massages and rest.
Am 60 and still work out 5 days a week with running, strength training, cardio, heavy bag work. Light sparring and drilling to keep the skills sharp. Strength, speed, and flexibility continues to decrease but I'm in much better shape than all of my friends of the same age group. For me the toughest is getting good rest/sleep. Due to constant joint pain I awaken numerous times during the night. Ice baths help but I still wake often. Be selective with whom you train with. Train with those who work with you and not trying to show they can go faster, harder, and longer than you.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I listen to advice given me - that I heed and give to the younger.

Shut up and train.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The following will help you to slow down your ageing:

- Never mention words such as "old", "death", ...
- Stay away from old people.
- Never go to any funeral no matter who dies.
- Try to find something that you enjoy of doing daily.
- Make love to your love one at least once a week even if you are 80 years old.
- Run behind a pretty young girl on the beach.
- Run, jump, dance, flip in the air, and enjoy your life.
- speed up your work out and force your heart to be strong.
- Do leg lifting solo drill every day.
- Try to spend at least 30 minutes on your daily stretching. If your foot can still kick and touch your hand above your head, you are not old at all.

My long fist teacher Li, Mao-Ching is 88 years old today. He is still going strong. For his current health condition, he should be able to reach to 100 years old without any problem. He told me to drink 枸杞子 (Wolfberry Fruit) with hot water is his secret. That's what I'm doing daily.

Gou_ji_zi.jpg

Li_Mao_Chin.jpg

Last edited:

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I wanted to expound on my comment of "shut up and train". It wasn't directed at you, Manny, it was directed at all of us. Aging sucks, but it's fantastic compared to the alternative. So, what are we to do? We gotta' train. We just have to. Otherwise we're an aging person who used to do what we love, but don't anymore because we can't do it as fast, as hard, as strong or as long as we used to.

As the body changes so does our approach to training. We have to be aware that our muscle memory is the same, but our physicality is different, weaker, slower and less resilient, so we adjust. We have to.

On the plus side, we encounter fewer things that we never experienced before, things that surprise us. We tend to get cagier, sneakier, stubborn in a good way. And we become much more aware of our limitations, which we adjust to accordingly, and, hopefully, tactically.

I ***** and moan as much as the next guy, probably more. So I tell myself.....shut up and train.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Acknowledge that aging happens. Just don't get consumed by it. Enjoy your life, maintain a positive attitude, and Have Fun! Laugh and laugh hard. Read and study new things to keep your mind active and thinking. Age is but the number of years you have been around, doesn't mean you have to be old. Old is in the mind; I am the youngest 60 year old around. Just keep going and Never Give Up!

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
One last thing: I've posted elsewhere about Jack LaLanne and Joseph Greenstein-one was an inspiration, and the other-Mr. Greenstein-was a teacher of mine. Both performed their feats of strength and athleticism well into what would be considered "old age." I last saw Mr. Greenstein perform in Madison Square Garden in 1977-he bent horseshoes, steel rebar, bit through a chain and burst another with his chest. He was 83, and probably already had the stomach cancer that killed him later that year-and,no,his "act" wasn't fake or "showbiz,,'.....well,it was a little showbiz, but it wasn't fake at all,,,,,,there's a reason why Jack Lalanne, who celebrated his 70th birthday by towing 70 boats with 70 of his friends on a one mile swim in Long Beach Harbor....while handcuffed...never had to sign the $10,000 check he kept for anyone who could keep up with his morning routine: no one could, though quite a few tried....

Both men established routines for fitness and strength, and kept them-I'd suggest that anyone trying to cope with the issues of aging do the same: establish a routine, and maintain it.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
One last thing: I've posted elsewhere about Jack LaLanne and Joseph Greenstein-one was an inspiration, and the other-Mr. Greenstein-was a teacher of mine. Both performed their feats of strength and athleticism well into what would be considered "old age." I last saw Mr. Greenstein perform in Madison Square Garden in 1977-he bent horseshoes, steel rebar, bit through a chain and burst another with his chest. He was 83, and probably already had the stomach cancer that killed him later that year-and,no,his "act" wasn't fake or "showbiz,,'.....well,it was a little showbiz, but it wasn't fake at all,,,,,,there's a reason why Jack Lalanne, who celebrated his 70th birthday by towing 70 boats with 70 of his friends on a one mile swim in Long Beach Harbor....while handcuffed...never had to sign the $10,000 check he kept for anyone who could keep up with his morning routine: no one could, though quite a few tried....

Both men established routines for fitness and strength, and kept them-I'd suggest that anyone trying to cope with the issues of aging do the same: establish a routine, and maintain it.

Both long time heroes of mine. I have the Atom's book, sent to me by Ed Spielman through a friend.

Probably going to be a long time until there's another LaLanne and Greenstein. If ever.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Of course this question has been on people's lips for thousands of years. Now we may have the answer within our grasp, sadly perhaps a little late for me and my generation ...

Researchers at Johns Hopkins have discovered an efficient and totally safe method to turn adult blood cells "all the way back to the way [they were] when that person was a 6-day-old embryo." The discovery could be the key to cure the incurable—from heart attacks to severed spinal cord to cancer—and open the door, some day, to eternal youth.
Scientists Clear Path to the Fountain of Eternal Youth
Meanwhile I'll just keep going to the gym most days, try to eat sensibly and pretend that I'm still the same 18 year old guy I used to be. :D

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Oh lord no... I don't want to be the same 18 year old guy I use to be..... he was a mess and hung out in biker bars.... however I wouldn't mind being the same 30 year old I use to be though..... heck, who am I trying to kid, at this point I would be happy just being the same 40 something year old I use to be..... damn knees.....

Idea is to keep moving, if you are injured you need stop and rest to recover, but if you are not you need to keep moving or absolutely everything will seize up.