how diferent..... adult and kids class

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
How diferent is the adult class (say senior class) compared to the kidie class (sat 10-18 years old)?

In the dojang I am part of, the kidie (and mom) class is very cardio with lots of kicks and combo kicks, poomsae and once a week WTF Sparring and once in a while a little self defense class. The adult men class that I teach is based on: basics,poomsae,kicks self defense and WTF sparring, in that order more or less.

Manny

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
How diferent is the adult class (say senior class) compared to the kidie class (sat 10-18 years old)?

In the dojang I am part of, the kidie (and mom) class is very cardio with lots of kicks and combo kicks, poomsae and once a week WTF Sparring and once in a while a little self defense class. The adult men class that I teach is based on: basics,poomsae,kicks self defense and WTF sparring, in that order more or less.

Manny

Kids classes are an hour and Adult classes are 90 minutes. Each has a 15 minute warmup. So, instruction and practice for kids is 45 minutes and adults is 75 minutes.

Kids will typicaly cover 3-4 topic areas a class. Each area will least anywhere from 10-20 minutes. Adults will cover 4-5 Topic areas for 15-20 minutes each. (Note: This is not engraved in stone. Fewer areas may be covered for longer time frames if their is a need to do so.) Areas include: Foot Techs, Hand Techs, Patterns, Ho Sin Sul / grappling, Step Sparring, Sparring combinations and strategies / drills, and Free sparring

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
in our school kids (6 though14) work out 45 minutes, adults (14 and up) 55 minutes to an hour.

The biggest difference is that kids are more fast paced and more discipline (the classes are usually full) I would prefer having the 6 though 10 and 11 through 14 in the separate classes, the difference between those age groups is huge. (I find it interesting that you have kids as old as 18 in the kid's class)

Tony49

Orange Belt
Reaction score
We offer TKD for the Kids and run three separate class 3-5, 6-11, 12 and up. I agree with the ages making a difference. We don't having adults other than teens that have turn 18 in TKD. All of our adults take kenpo and we only take 15 and up. We try to keep the Kenpo training closer to the way it was practice in Hawaii. Not always possible though.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
We try to keep the Kenpo training closer to the way it was practice in Hawaii. Not always possible though.

What is your understanding as to how Kenpo was practiced in Hawaii?

Tony49

Orange Belt
Reaction score
What is your understanding as to how Kenpo was practiced in Hawaii?

My instructor is GM Bandalan from Lani. He study under Marino Tiwanak CHA 3 style. I also train with various Kajukenbo folks and the old saying was "Practice isn't over until their is Blood on the floor" Now for obvious reason we can't continue to train that way but we try to "bang" as much as possible. I was also taught to "pass it down the line."

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My instructor is GM Bandalan from Lani. He study under Marino Tiwanak CHA 3 style. I also train with various Kajukenbo folks and the old saying was "Practice isn't over until their is Blood on the floor" Now for obvious reason we can't continue to train that way but we try to "bang" as much as possible. I was also taught to "pass it down the line."

There's some very good stain removing and sanitising cleaning products on the market now which make it easier to practice that way. :)

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
in our school kids (6 though14) work out 45 minutes, adults (14 and up) 55 minutes to an hour.

The biggest difference is that kids are more fast paced and more discipline (the classes are usually full) I would prefer having the 6 though 10 and 11 through 14 in the separate classes, the difference between those age groups is huge. (I find it interesting that you have kids as old as 18 in the kid's class)

Sorry... you are right. we have three types of classes. The kidie class is about childrena from 4 years old to 8 or 10 years old. The teens/mom class is for children from 10-12 years old to 18 yeras old and the moms this class we have a 27 yeras old black belt male, the momos are beetwen 30 and 40 years old.

The adult men class consited of two 40+ year old guys and myself.

Tipically the children class is about one hour, 15 minutes for warm up and 45 minutes of techs and playing games.

The teens/moms class is about 90 minutes with warm up and it's very cardio with lots of kicks, pommsae and techs.

The men class is about 90 minutes too, 15-25 minutes of warm up and calistecnics and then techs,poomsae,one stpes,self defense and WTF sparring.

Manny

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score

I liked Professor Tiwanak. Even went to his funeral. Few people know that "CHA 3" stands for "Civilian Housing Area 3" which is where Professor Tiwanak's first school was located, near the airport. When you become a CHA3 black belt, you get a tattoo. He had a tattoo of a hula dancer I believe on his huge knuckles.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
We train adults and kids together, although my current instructor has two classes with about 50-60 students in each and one is prodominently adults and the other mostly kids and he does encourage it to work this way as much as possible, but I bring my kids to the adults class most times because it saves two trips. Generally, the adults class and kids class are very similar mainly due to the fact that the kids have the exact same grading requirements and so it makes sense for them to follow pretty much the same path. He doesnt like teaching really full-on techs to kids, such as eye gouges, groin strikes, elbows to the face, breaking necks etc as he says they are not responsible enough to know about such things. I've noticed a few subtle differences but nothing major, the biggest difference would be my instructor's demeanor. At the adults class he is very laid back and has a joke and a laugh with the students, but at the kids class he is very strict and yells a lot.

Tony49

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I liked Professor Tiwanak. Even went to his funeral. Few people know that "CHA 3" stands for "Civilian Housing Area 3" which is where Professor Tiwanak's first school was located, near the airport. When you become a CHA3 black belt, you get a tattoo. He had a tattoo of a hula dancer I believe on his huge knuckles.

Yes that is correct. I unfortunately never got to meet him. I was in the Philippines competing in a Eskrima tournament when he passed away. I did however get to meet his teacher Sijo Emperado a few times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUkeossDsao&feature=related

See 2:28

Last edited:

Namii

Green Belt
Reaction score
We train together. The only time there would be a separate class would be if there were a large number of beginners starting.

Rumy73

Black Belt
Reaction score
I dislike having children (even teens) in an adult class. I believe most schools do this for the school's convenience and not for the sake of the learner. Different age groups have different learning styles. This is well understood by anyone in the field of education.

Manny

Latest Discussions