how complex is the straight lead?

turbo1975

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The technique itself is not hard, the timing required for the interception in the different applications is.

Reaction score
The straight lead has nothing to do with FMA, not even close...

So you deny that while lacking power its speed and position in the by jhong stance can be used to distract or put off the opponent to follow up with the more telegraphed and slower cross?

Sure its an attack and not and attack by drawing as destructions are but the pain and distraction it causes to make follow ups possible runs along the same concept as destructions.

Perhaps you thought i meant to attribute it to the FMA, which with the Philippines impact on western boxing is not that much of an unfair thing to say, i was not in fact and it was only meant to be a comparison.

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So you deny that while lacking power its speed and position in the by jhong stance can be used to distract or put off the opponent to follow up with the more telegraphed and slower cross?
Of course it can be, as can anything. Why one would plan to, from a strong side lead, follow a fast and powerful straight lead strike with a weaker,slower cross is beyond me. Personally, I'd simply seek connectivity and move from there...

However, the complexity of the straight lead really has nothing to do with what one chooses to follow it up with - that's quite another story. What it does have a lot to do with is proper mechanics, speed, accuracy, timing, and focus on non-telegraphy. What it isn't is a jab......

Reaction score
Of course it can be, as can anything. Why one would plan to, from a strong side lead, follow a fast and powerful straight lead strike with a weaker,slower cross is beyond me. Personally, I'd simply seek connectivity and move from there...

However, the complexity of the straight lead really has nothing to do with what one chooses to follow it up with - that's quite another story. What it does have a lot to do with is proper mechanics, speed, accuracy, timing, and focus on non-telegraphy. What it isn't is a jab......

I would not say that the cross is less powerful than the straight - besides thats irrelevant to my point, you can follow up with anything, my point is that the jab or straight gives you the opening to do the follow up.

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why one would plan to, from a strong side lead, follow a fast and powerful straight lead strike with a weaker,slower cross is beyond me.

That is one of the first things we learned from our instructors and you should know why as well. "You're" weaker cross shouldn't be weaker at all. That is if you put your "time in" on your right lead. Your rear cross is only one tool in the toolbox and the tool must conform to the box and not vice versa. JKD "was" deep into intercepting so the right lead was perfected. Strong side forward makes for a better "game" with all the tools if their JKD is more than "in name only."

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That is one of the first things we learned from our instructors and you should know why as well. "You're" weaker cross shouldn't be weaker at all. That is if you put your "time in" on your right lead. Your rear cross is only one tool in the toolbox and the tool must conform to the box and not vice versa. JKD "was" deep into intercepting so the right lead was perfected. Strong side forward makes for a better "game" with all the tools if their JKD is more than "in name only."
Sure, I can't disagree with any of that. The emphasis was on "plan", though..... But, I see your point. I've not progressed to the point where my left is anything other than weaker than my right. My right side is my strong side, and, though it should not get as much attention as it does, it gets more attention, thereby keeping me, undoubtedly, right side strong. It's a vicious circle and a perpetual bad habit.

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure, I can't disagree with any of that. The emphasis was on "plan", though..... But, I see your point. I've not progressed to the point where my left is anything other than weaker than my right. My right side is my strong side, and, though it should not get as much attention as it does, it gets more attention, thereby keeping me, undoubtedly, right side strong. It's a vicious circle and a perpetual bad habit.
My friend, they must of "planned" on it not being weaker.

g-bells

Green Belt
Reaction score
simple techinique but hard to master(if posssible) and extremely difficult to land effectively... practice,practice and more practice

Charleston Combat

Green Belt
Reaction score
It can take years to effectively master the straight lead in JKD! It will take dedication, but anyone can figure it out! It's not rocket sicence! Practice makes perfect!! OK - I'm pushing it. Alot of practice!!!!!!!! Brad

chof

White Belt
Reaction score
the jkd straight punch is hip rotation timed with economy of motion ,the hand is in motion and your waist turning provides power from the ground also external energy this is why you can deliver a knock out blow with you arm extended by turning your waist, practice the hip turning delivering the arm!

Latest Discussions