How about escapes from hand shakes?

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, I read about one and we did it in our class. From Mac the Anmimal MacYoung book.

A customer was ask to leave...giving "Mac" a hard time, He reach his hand out to shake the drunks hands and when the guy put out his hand. Mac pull the guy hand between the guys legs and step around the guys back and push the guy out the door holding the guys hands.

You could also keep pulling and fliping the guys upside down on to his back.

This was a good trick to use.........hard to escape from this once your hand is between your legs and is pull to your back, because you are bent over. ............Aloha

Reactions: MJS

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
Yeah, that was one of the ending points from one of my very first club defenses. Even as a youngster, I always found it cool that the person could be flipped on their back with ease, just by pulling up.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The Combat Hapkido DVD's have a number of techniques for "Escapes from a hostle handsake", but I totally forgot about those..Thanks for reminding me still learning.

kyushoT

White Belt
Reaction score
Not wanting to get in to a big technique explaination... Too much typing. Check out info on "Small Circle Jujutsu." I don't know about tapes. But, I know Wally Jay has at least one good book, with some very descriptive techniques for what your speaking of.
They are explained well enough, that you can take them to the class setting and work on them.

Reactions: MJS

kickcatcher

Green Belt
Reaction score
Handshake moves are party tricks really. The best advice is never shake someone who you think is going to fight you's hand - they may use it to assist a sucker attack (headbutt, stab to ribs with other hand etc). If you really must shake their hand, be ready to smack them really damn hard if they do anything remotely suspicious and don't be intimidated if they try to squeeze your hand. IMO.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
kickcatcher said:
Handshake moves are party tricks really. The best advice is never shake someone who you think is going to fight you's hand - they may use it to assist a sucker attack (headbutt, stab to ribs with other hand etc). If you really must shake their hand, be ready to smack them really damn hard if they do anything remotely suspicious and don't be intimidated if they try to squeeze your hand. IMO.
It seems your general philosophy is to "smack them really hard" which is not technique, just thuggery.

Back to the discussion on technique: This is difficult to explain, but having the upper hand in a handshake is easy and important to do if you have strong hands and good technique.

kickcatcher

Green Belt
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
It seems your general philosophy is to "smack them really hard" which is not technique, just thuggery.

Back to the discussion on technique: This is difficult to explain, but having the upper hand in a handshake is easy and important to do if you have strong hands and good technique.
Thuggery... kind of if you like to put it that way. I think that a common sense rule of hitting people is to do it damn hard - no benefit comes from pulling punches. But I disagree that it lacks "technique". Competant striking requires skill, no real doubt about that.

The issue surely comes down to reasonable force, and how/where such party trick techniques (by which I mean techniques which work well on compliant and semi-resisting opponents but generally not against a really determined attack) fit into a scalable response model.

I believe that you should only defend yourself if you believe there to be real danger to your person (and/or others). So if someone goes to shake your hand they fit into two catagories - those you believe are going to attack you, and those you believe aren't going to attack you. Thus the first group need to be treated to something more reliable than party tricks, and the latter you have no justification for doing anything to at all.

Thus these party tricks end up being a nice show for your friends to play "what if" etc.

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
One of our most basic drills on learning the points of balance in kamae involves a simple handshake. It's very easy to pull somebody off balance with a handshake if you know what you're doing and they don't.

Even easier if you step on their foot.

One of my favorite drills starts with a handshake and then a punch from the other hand. Avoid the punch simply by pulling on the hand you're holding.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
rutherford said:
One of my favorite drills starts with a handshake and then a punch from the other hand. Avoid the punch simply by pulling on the hand you're holding.
The thing about the handshake is that for someone to do anything from a handshake they will have to "pull" or "tug" your hand, because they have to change their body position (ie, for one shoulder to come forward the other shoulder has to naturally go back, otherwise there is no power or attack). People naturally want to resist the pull or tug. Unfortunately this sets the victim up, to the proper distance for the attack.

It is far better to flow with the tug. There are many goodies you can get from there. By flowing, you can take their balance and torque them up really nice while avoiding the other hand because the range has changed for them and you are closer than they expected and you have their balance.

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hmm. I disagree. Not about the value of flowing. There's definitely good work to be done there - at a later timing than my example.

And, the principle that you explain is exactly what helps avoid the strike in my example. By pulling their opposite shoulder forward you rob power. By positioning their body correctly, they can't even reach you any longer. It's better if you use an angle because they'll have less balance to fight your pull, and I like to pull across their body. And, of course you want to use timing and distractions so that they can't fight your pull at all.

BUT, you certainly don't have to tug to throw a strike of your own. Especially with the mechanics we typically use for punching. Power is generated starting from the opposite foot as the punching hand. You can certainly hold the handshake stationary. I'm sure you see how it will end up closer to your body, but no tug is necessary - or advised if it's you who is doing the punching. Just think of it as another point of sensitivity, and be prepared to escape if you need that limb for something else.

I might hold onto it, because it'll be very nice for the sidemount that's common after one of the Gyaku, or if I want to attack the elbo in a direction like Musha Dori.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
rutherford said:
By pulling their opposite shoulder forward you rob power. It's better if you use an angle because they'll have less balance to fight your pull, and I like to pull across their body. And, of course you want to use timing and distractions so that they can't fight your pull at all.
You brute! :) Just kidding, of course;) The principles you described, I am talking about, but not by pulling them or yanking on them.

rutherford said:
BUT, you certainly don't have to tug to throw a strike of your own. Especially with the mechanics we typically use for punching.
I know, isn't that wonderful! :)

OP
S

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, One of the things we teach is if someone does not let go of the hand shakes (hostel sitution), Strike the person hands doing the handshake with a chop and off course be ready for anything.

Or grab the guys thumb and bent it backwards,Your handshake.. push up and toward the person right shoulder and your other hand push is elbows for a nice move? always be ready for the next......thing........

Thanks for sharing...............Aloha

SAVAGE

Blue Belt
Reaction score
shesulsa said:

I was gonna give you SIX WHOLE REP POINTS for this!! But I gotta share the love!

I agree it is just thuggery!

My take on Handshakes.....it is just different variations of inside wrist grab techniques!

HKD rocks at this stuff..as for wrist locks being party tricks...if you try to grab a HKD/JJJ/BJJ/Judo/aikido artists wrist..I can guarantee it wont be no party!

SAVAGE

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Sarah said:
Agreed..you can use some pretty fun wrist locks from this position :)

depends on which side of the lock you are on!!

:uhyeah:

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
shesulsa said:

I don't see how it's thuggery. Thuggery would be belting someone really hard for the express purpose of taking their wallet.

Unrefined, perhaps. But unrefined techniques are easy to learn, and easy to employ and usually very powerful.

And I agree with the man; if you're going to hit someone, hit them so it counts.

P

Peter Steeves

Handshakes are actually a very important topic to consider for protection purposes. There are very few business people today who can do very well without shaking a lot of hands (notable exception: Donald Trump, who HATES to shake hands because of a fear of germs).

An overzealous person (whether an angry person, or an excited "fan" in a greeting line) is likely to keep that grip a little too long, and/or a little too strong. Having some ways to intervene for yourself or someone else is a primary skill that should be practiced from various angles.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Adept said:
I don't see how it's thuggery. Thuggery would be belting someone really hard for the express purpose of taking their wallet.

Unrefined, perhaps. But unrefined techniques are easy to learn, and easy to employ and usually very powerful.

And I agree with the man; if you're going to hit someone, hit them so it counts.

I don't want to speak for her, but I took the posts as this. It seems like the mentality is to solve all situations with hitting someone in the face. While it is an option, we should not limit ourselves to just that, considering that every situation may not warrant it. If you're conditioned to do nothing but that, IMO, options are going to be limited, as you won't know anything else.

Latest Discussions