Almost like riding a bike

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
So I've been exploring the bay in CA a lot, being a Noob here. And recently,I found myself on Haight street, walking about and chatting with hippies and drunks and other bikers.

Whilst hanging about, I met an older fella, stinking of Gin who shook my hand and wouldn't let go.. Maybe he was friendly, gay, or just drunk but he didn't let go, and pulled my hand close to his chest. Well I didn't like this at all, and in a flash of a second I swiftly pulled under his hand and had my claw on his wrist, squeezing as if I intended to remove it. He pulled away, which I allowed, and exclaimed that "it was cool" and to "chill out". Now I wasn't exactly unchill.. But I don't care if you were both concieved and born on Haight and Ashbury by the Dali Lama and Mother Teresa, don't do that. Anyhow, long story short (too late), I am really still out of practice, having been away from MA for 6 months and only back in classes for a few days. But this happened so fluid, so fast, without thought, that I realised.. It's a lot like riding a bike. Devote yourself to your art, practice like the dickens, and it is always yours.

It also sorta scared me.. I'm not a fighter, a violent person or one who hopes to cause pain. But there I was, mildly torturing a hippy with little thought. Let's hope we aren't ever truly threatened. Muscle memory is better than brain memory.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shaolinwind said:
So I've been exploring the bay in CA a lot, being a Noob here. And recently,I found myself on Haight street, walking about and chatting with hippies and drunks and other bikers.

Whilst hanging about, I met an older fella, stinking of Gin who shook my hand and wouldn't let go.. Maybe he was friendly, gay, or just drunk but he didn't let go, and pulled my hand close to his chest. Well I didn't like this at all, and in a flash of a second I swiftly pulled under his hand and had my claw on his wrist, squeezing as if I intended to remove it. He pulled away, which I allowed, and exclaimed that "it was cool" and to "chill out". Now I wasn't exactly unchill.. But I don't care if you were both concieved and born on Haight and Ashbury by the Dali Lama and Mother Teresa, don't do that. Anyhow, long story short (too late), I am really still out of practice, having been away from MA for 6 months and only back in classes for a few days. But this happened so fluid, so fast, without thought, that I realised.. It's a lot like riding a bike. Devote yourself to your art, practice like the dickens, and it is always yours.

It also sorta scared me.. I'm not a fighter, a violent person or one who hopes to cause pain. But there I was, mildly torturing a hippy with little thought. Let's hope we aren't ever truly threatened. Muscle memory is better than brain memory.

Glad to hear that your encounter with this person turned out ok. I agree that muscle memory is an amazing thing. Its years of practice and building a spontaneous reaction that is the goal that we should all eventually get to, being able to pull something off, without having to think, "Hmm, ok, what do I do now, in this situation?"

Mike

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm glad it turned out ok. To me, your response is what I am training for. To be able to have my training available without thought in a threatening situation. Muscle memory is indeed much more powerful than brain memory.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, These are the times..you realize...your training from the past is still in you. Doing it over and over....pays off............Aloha

Latest Discussions