How about escapes from hand shakes?

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
Handshakes are considered a gesture of goodwill, so when your handshake turns into a nice elbow to the sternum or throat when your attacker pulls you in ("Gift of Destiny" variation). Not using your hands or fists helps when the lawyers come knocking at the door.

Too many wrist lock options, so little time. :) Handshake drills can be a valuable training tool. Handshakes are very close to a wrist grab.

evenflow1121

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
2 things one that comes to mind is one Gift of Destiny.

The other is the whole issue of lawyers. Doesnt matter if you hit the guy in the face or in the sternum or wherever. I am not a lawyer, but at least in the state where I live, if the guy has a few witnesses and they are a reliable source, for example, it can be documented that they were at the particular place and time of the occurence, he may be able to press charges whether you hit him in the sternum or face. So in a volatile situation worry about saving your ***, and just dont use exessive force.

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
I hear you on that. I was assuming there were witnesses around as the original post alluded. I cannot be held resposible far a guy that makes an aggressive move and is the one initiating my movement towards him with a pull. I know this is getting technical, but that is what happens in the court rooms. :)

It all goes back to one of the posts... I think most of us have the common sense not to shake hands with some one that is drunk, abusive, seems a little "touched".

Being married to a layer makes you think in funny ways. :)

Take care.

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
i always found hand shake defenses sort of funny. not that you shouldn't know them, but there seem to be so many and so much energy spent learning them. pretty rare attack scenario, imo.

the technique that started this post is very much like the EPAK 'gift in return'. there's a sister technique to it in the tracy system, too.

question: we learn lot of these handshake and wrist grab defenses. both rare (though wrist grabs are more common for women). what movement concepts can we learn from them to apply to more common attacks?

Martial Tucker

Black Belt
Reaction score
Handshake defenses were also discussed not long ago in this thread:

http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=496090#post496090
In that thread, I posted this:

"As for why you should train a bit for it, I will tell you that here in Chicago, a very popular means of mugging people a while back was to approach a stranger with your hand extended, acting as if you were approaching an old friend that you haven't seen in years. The vast majority of people that you do this to will blindly just stick their hand out and accept your handshake while they try to figure out who the hell you are, and why they can't remember you. As soon as the attacker has your hand (the dominant hand for most people) you are very vulnerable to a sucker punch, as stated earlier, or a 2nd attacker may then approach from behind."

We train for various responses to an unfriendly handshake ranging from a pain inducing only response, suitable for an obnoxoius drunk relative at a family gathering, all the way up to arm break/throws for situations like the one I mentioned above. Not a focal point of our training, but not a trivial risk to ignore, either....

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I learned in Balintawak a nice Thumb Peel. I teach this to women in particular who are afraid they might get their hands squeezed from the bigger guys.

You place your hand on top of theirs for the shake. You middle finger goes along their thumb, while your thumb finds the end of their thumb. You peel back their thumb while compressing the nail and last joint of the thumb. One cannot squeeze well without the thumb. ;)

No I agree, in situation on the street I might not do this. In a sports bar where most of the guys think they have been in a "REAL" fight in their lives, would shake your hands to save face. They might also be trying to squeeze you and show how strong they are. Just peel back and voila they look like the fools.

While your have two of your hands on theirs, you must continue to monitor their motions. If they go to pull back without letting go, then step to the outside and stay with them. This makes it harder for them to stick a knife into your with their left. Not impossible just harder. So, while you have both hands on theirs you can move your left up to his elbow, and this gives you pivot control of the opponent. If he lefts go, then you strike a groin strike with your right. If he punches with his left and hangs on with his right, you can still step outside causing him to cross himself and have no power. You can bring your hands up and trap his punch into your shake. Lost of ways to move from their.

Once one gets two or three deep it requires the person to see, not just see with the minds eye to follow the flow of the techniques.

OP
S

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, In our schools, we always shakes hands in the beginning and end of class. The kids today have learn this well. When ever we meet outside of training (food markets,Wal-mart,etc). We greet each other with handshakes including the parents. .........this is good......Aloha

lonecoyote

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I've been on the receiving end of the handshake sucker punch in real life. I just don't shake w/people if I'm in a situation I'm not sure about. The macho handshake squeeze is really juvenile. You might just run into someone who loves his Captains of Crush grippers, thick handled dumbbells, and sledgehammer levering, like me. If you do, just keep smiling, and try to keep the eyes from tearing up. I'll let go in a second I promise, just don't do it again.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Keep your index finger pointed out while shaking someones hand. Makes it a lot harder for that crushing grip, no matter how much stronger they are. Heck, sure ya'll allready know that.

Latest Discussions