Homeless.......

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Drac said:
You are correct Sir..During the budget slashing days of "Reganomics" a lot of the institutions that deal with mental illness were closed and the patients were turned out..They still get their medicine but since there is no one to insure that they take it they don't..
They usually sell it on the streets and with the money they buy and consume alcohol which seems to always aggravate whatever mental condition they have..Now when they get hungry or thirsty they think nothing off commiting acts of violence to obtain money for whatever purposes..The act of just looking or ignoring their requests for money usually results in a violent response..Then we the PD respond and our presence always seems to make them angrier and they fight harder..We take them to the local "psyc ward" where they are observed treated and realeased and it starts all over again..
Actually, it wasn't during Reagan's era, it was John F. Kennedy that signed the Community Mental Health act.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
sgtmac_46 said:
Actually, it wasn't during Reagan's era, it was John F. Kennedy that signed the Community Mental Health act.
Tou are correct..My mistake...

T

TonyM.

Actually it was during Reagans administration that the fed quit funding most mental health programs and turnrd a lot of people out on the streets. I was a ward charge at the vermont state hospital when this happened. Fourty five people with dual diagnosis's (mentally ill and mentally retarded) were turned out on the streets. By the grace of God we were able to place most in group homes.

OP
Bammx2

Bammx2

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
FearlessFreep said:
Need a job to get experience need experience to get a job. Gotta start somewhere... to break the cycle.

I did a six year Air Force enlistment to break the cycle
Good for you.

What about people who can't enlist due to reasons beyond thier control?

?????????????????