Home Training Tips Please

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you don't know how to apply the kihon techniques well against a partner, then you won't know when the technique isn't working and it's time to switch to something else.
On the other side of the coin, being uke for the kihon is a great way to start learning when you're caught in a lock or your balance is broken. Then you know the point that your counter has to come before.

Boondoggleyou

White Belt
Reaction score
I understand that a training partner is very important, and you can learn many things with a partner that you cannot learn without one.

But now pretend you do not have a training partner, does that mean I should not practice Kihon Happo, or Ryu Kata because I cannot learn the tactics?

I mean look at Ukemi, Sanshin, Kihon Happo, etc. They all have Tactics in them which cannot be learned without having a training partner. But if thats the case, should I not practice them at home because I can't learn the Tactics?

I hope this makes sense.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I mean look at Ukemi, Sanshin, Kihon Happo, etc. They all have Tactics in them which cannot be learned without having a training partner. But if thats the case, should I not practice them at home because I can't learn the Tactics?
Ukemi and Sanshin you can definitely train solo. But I think training Kihon Happo solo will give you bad habits, because you have no way of picking up things like timing and angling in relation to an opponent unless you have one.

Boondoggleyou

White Belt
Reaction score
And you dont believe training Sanshin, and Ukemi alone will give you bad habits?
Ukemi deffinetly has timing in it. (example - roll to late and be hit, fall on face).

Sanshin also has its uniqe timing, distancing, that belongs to each individual technique of the Sanshin.

In my opinion, practicing any technique will have the potential of giving you bad habits. This is why after your teacher shows you something, you go home and practice it over and over and over again to your ABSOLUTE best. If your technique is bad, your teacher will show you what your doing wrong and fix it, rinse and repeat.

Again I apologize for any typos.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In my opinion, practicing any technique will have the potential of giving you bad habits. This is why after your teacher shows you something, you go home and practice it over and over and over again to your ABSOLUTE best. If your technique is bad, your teacher will show you what your doing wrong and fix it, rinse and repeat.

Again I apologize for any typos.
Ah, ok, we're talking about two different things. I was talking about solo training without an instructor. Although I still think the Kihon Happo is best practiced with a partner.

Boondoggleyou

White Belt
Reaction score
I agree training with someone is best. (more on this below)
However I don't quite mean training with a instructor either, everyone who practices any martial art has a instructor of some sort. You may only see him once a year or once a week, but in that 1 day you see him, write notes, and have him help you fix your personal habits (Everyone has bad habits, even if you have trained 15 years with other people).

I am not saying training alone is better, I am saying dont NOT train because there is nobody to train with.

By doing a technique over and over again you will learn the proper intent of the Kamae, or technique, just practice it.

for instance, Koto Ryu Seigan no Kamae - practice it one time and your opponent will feel nothing and rush it, train 5 years with perfect kamae and your opponent cannot touch you without you lowering your kamae in some way or another.

I must go to class now, feel free to continue this conversation and leave additional comments.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I knew you did, I know you and I had discussed this before. I will try and expand on the reasons for my opinions on the matter. Let's start with Sanshin.

As I stated before, in my opinion Sanshin is an exercise in proper body movement. Yes, it CAN be practiced with a partner. However, I believe the emphasis of Sanshin is movement not technique, therefore a partner is not required.

On the other hand, I believe the Kihon Happo is the basic techniques. To learn the proper tactics in applying the kihon techniques requires an uke. You simply cannot shadow box the kihon and learn how to apply them, but this does not apply to the sanshin because the sanshin isn't techniques, it is movement.

That is my opinion on the matter. I hope that helps give more information about where I am coming from with my opinions.

Very good points indeed. May I agree and tack on a few points I think about when doing Sanchin on my own. Movement as in weight shifting and distribution, structure with proper body alignment so as to connect with the ground for power transfer, and proper breath control so the breath corresponds with the techniques. I apologize if these points were already mentioned in another post.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope I did not get too far off the original question. The shorter answer I think would be yes I feel Sanchin can be done alone at home as long as you were also actively participating at the dojo for feed back from your sensei.

OP
S

Spence

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks guys you have helped alot.
Let me just say, by feeling I mean the balance of your partner, the correct positioning of feet & all the little subtle touches & moves that come as we gain more experience as I have found they can be very inportant.
Sanshin I practice very low & high as I think this can help with distance, timing & balance.

Boondoggleyou

White Belt
Reaction score
Great discussion, I agree very much with Brian in one of his previous post about us all being beginners.

On a side note, I still agree that any technique of any type (taijutsu or Buki) can be done solo, as this will help develope your taijutsu greatly.

Tactics and feeling will come in time once you have developed you taijutsu to a high level. The same way you learn to become a better person, your not taught how to be a better person, it just happens through training.

Though then again, I am a beginner =) so take everything I say with a grain of salt, as I may someday realize I am completely wrong.

Now go Train !

Latest Discussions