Training by oneself

M

Mon Mon

Okay I was wondering can one get any better if a person trains with a teacher when they can but when they can't if they practice Kihon Happo without variation over and over and over again to get the idea about what it is supposed to feel like. Sure you will get some bad habbits but if you don't train at all you can't develop. Just my opinion and practicing San Shin No kata is good too is it not?

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess you are talking about forms. Correct me if I'm wrong, please. I practice forms by myself alot. But originally when I learned them, I would practice and go to class and then if I had something wrong, it would get corrected by the teacher. Repetition builds memory into the muscle and mind and coordination, balance, etc. BUT, too much repetition by yourself with no one overseeing your development can lead to bad habits when something is being done wrong over and over and not corrected before it is etched in deep. That is why we have instructors. Even now, after knowing 20 forms, I notice much too late, that I have dropped a step and need to go back and carefully go through everything. Hoping I get it all. I need an instructor too to keep me on track. So my answer is yes, practice at home but also no, not exclusively. TW

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Im not sure how one would practice Kihon Happo alone...

I suppose you could do like Jumonji, Ichimonji, etc... but how would you practice Muso, Musha, gansaki, etc...

I guess you could walk thru the movements with no opponant and visualize, but would that actually be effective?

Hmmm. Now you have me thinking, damn you.

OP
E

Elizium

Technopunk said:
I guess you could walk thru the movements with no opponant and visualize, but would that actually be effective?
Yes it would. To do it would be like a walking meditation. You relax and visualise how it is done in a sort of slow Tai Chi way. It would help to relax within yourself so when you train you have an idea of what is needed to get the result you are wanting.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not sure what you are reffering to but I would think that any practice, alone or with someone else, is better than no pratice,

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Technopunk said:
I suppose you could do like Jumonji, Ichimonji, etc... but how would you practice Muso, Musha, gansaki, etc...

Yes. Not as effective as with a partner, but better than no practice. In fact, in some respects solo training in musha, etc has aspects that you can't get as easily with a partner.

First of all, yes you can ingrain bad habits if you do not do the techniques correctly. You need to get a teacher who knows what he is teaching. Don't get me started on a rant about how many Bujinkan teachers can't be bothered to check their own kihon happo and teach "feces" to their students. A kyu rank should be practicing the kihon happo every week in class while the teacher is in position to observe and correct. In between classes, you should work on the areas he/she points out as needing work.

Do it slow, very slow. But since you are not having to blend your speed with someone else you can concentrate on making everything smooth and make no mistakes. Be totally aware and in control of what you do.You should not be leaning one way or the other inappropriatly in practice. When you have a partner, you may be so concentrated on him that you ignore what your own body is doing. In solo practice for ganseki, you do not have that excuse. As you slowly imagine yourself applying the move, make certain that your own position, etc is exactly as your teacher said it should be.

You need a partner, but you will be alone more often than with a partner. Use what you can when you can. There is a heck of a lot more I could write about this, but will refrain for now. Can't give out too much information for the internet senseis to steal.
:supcool: