Home Security Questions

szorn

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
As a soon to be home owner I'm concerned with making sure my property is safe and secure.

What advice would you give to people on how to do this?

Right now I'm looking at ANSI 1 deadbolts, and reinforced strikers. What else is there?

This would depend on the level of security you are looking for and the amount you are willing to spend. I would check out the crime rates in your town as well as in and around your neighborhood. This will be a key factor in how much work and money you invest.

-Locks are a good start. Don't forget the windows.
-a video camera system is another good and fairly inexpensive option as long as your house isn't huge. Even then just a few cameras around the outside of the house will suffice.
- an alarm system can be a good investment but keep in mind there is usually a monthly monitoring fee. There are inexpensive options such as placing portable alarms on the doors and windows of the home. However, these would do no good if there is burglary while you are out. These types of alarms are fairly cheap but will need to be checked periodically for low batteries.
-if you have large easily accessible windows you can purchase protective sheets of plastic that go over the windows to make them break-proof.
-another low cost option is to get a good dog that will alert you to anyone in the yard and protect the home when you aren't there.
-a good firearm for home protection as already recommended by others. A shot gun works well.
-depending on the size of the home a safe-room my be a good idea. A place the family can go to if intruders enter the home and they can't easily escape. Make sure it has an emergency cell phone and keep the batteries charged.

Unless you live in a really bad neighborhood that should cover everything you would need, and some is overkill.

Steve

Edwin

White Belt
Reaction score
Alarm system are best for security but what will you do if a person will disable you alarm system.Hopefully than you need a thing that help you to protect yourself.And after the gun control policy its hard to defend yourself as well as your property.So what you do than?

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Alarm system are best for security but what will you do if a person will disable you alarm system.Hopefully than you need a thing that help you to protect yourself.And after the gun control policy its hard to defend yourself as well as your property.So what you do than?

Think of having layer's of security. Exterior Lights with motion detector, reinforced door/door jam, good windows, alarm system, big dog, empty hand skills, firearm and blade skills. The more layers of security you have the harder a target you will be.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Plus some layers of security are harder to disable than others. Cut up a phone line? Sure that's possible but many folks at least here in the US do not have copper landline anymore. Some have a phone line through their cable connections, and others may have an alarm system that is cellular.

Latest Discussions