Holloway Wins

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That was a great beat down. Max was able to keep it standing up and Ortega just couldn't keep him down. I though Ortega should have tried a lot harder, especially early on to get Max down. As the rounds went on and there was more sweat, blood etc. getting someone like Max down was going to be harder and harder.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think Ortega was shocked by Holloway. I think early on he was saying to himself “uh oh.”

Things usually go downhill from there.

OP
T

TMA17

Black Belt
Reaction score
Well one has to wonder if Ortega’s takedowns are just too weak being he is a BJJ (GJJ)? If your number one attribute is BJJ, it’s a must you have good takedowns, otherwise BJJ is useless. Sounds like Max could have good takedown defense though. A guy like Khabib would have likely taken Max down. There is a big difference. An important one too.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well one has to wonder if Ortega’s takedowns are just too weak being he is a BJJ (GJJ)? If your number one attribute is BJJ, it’s a must you have good takedowns, otherwise BJJ is useless. Sounds like Max could have good takedown defense though. A guy like Khabib would have likely taken Max down. There is a big difference. An important one too.
You're making this way over complicated there is nothing wrong with ortegas takedowns no one was saying that at all before this fight and Ortega can probably take down over half of the population in Mma. But this is the highest levels and Holloway is also a high level fighter who's also a lot bigger than him. Fact is Ortega was undefeated before this fight...were you saying anything about his poor takedowns then? He lost a fight that's it. It doesn't make him any less a fighter he just lost its fighting it happens

OP
T

TMA17

Black Belt
Reaction score
I suppose you’re right. Styles make fights. A Khabib vs Ortega matchup would be interesting.