Holding bricks when you punch

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't do that either. If I work on a heavy bag, I do it bare-knuckle. No gloves, no wraps. Gloves make you form your fist differently, allow you to land your strikes in ways that might lead to actual injury if you were not wearing the gloves and hit a real target. Those are real problems, so I don't use those things. You need the feedback you get from bare-knuckles, unsupported wrists, to develop the ability to hit and not injure yourself.

How long would you hit the bag for?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Bricks are to heavy and develop the wrong muscle fibers,. The necesary smaller muscle fibers go undertrained and will more prone to injury. Light dumbells, 1 to 3 lb max is better. 3lbs is almost stretching it. 1lb weighted gloves do a go job.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Small muscle fibers are for endurance large for power.

A 30 on 30 off should do both.
http://www.cbass.com/Carpinelli.htm

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
How long would you hit the bag for?

until i feel i've done enough. sometimes it's a short session, other times longer. we use different types of punches, i try to work them all. total session i dunno, could be as long as an hour, or as short as ten minutes.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
At my Lama Pai school, we use Mok Yee Pai for weight conditioning for punching. We use dummies & bags to develop technique/striking tools. We use boxing gloves when practicing Sanda & MMA fingerless when sparring. To each his own & mileage is all yours.

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gloves are usually 1lb max, not in the same category as using bricks.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
except that the exercise fundamentally destroys proper punching technique, long before you might get those other benefits.

It is supposed to.

The bricks are trying to bring your hands down you are working to keep them up. That is what resistance training does.

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Fair enough but the grip of the brick vs the tiny dumbell is totally differant and that makes a differance and in my initial post I stated 1 to 3lb dumbells were better than bricks. Although it looked like Floyd did go a little higher than 3lbs.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It is supposed to.

The bricks are trying to bring your hands down you are working to keep them up. That is what resistance training does.

um... yeah, i understand the concept.

if you rely on raw physical strength of the arms and shoulders for the power in your punches, then you should continue to do these kinds of exercises.

i've been trained to do things differently from that.

if you like it and see benefits to it, then do it. i don't.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

none of that looked like real punching to me. it was weight and conditioning, using punching-like movements. when he used the heavier weights in the beginning of the clip, he punched up into the air, it didn't even resemble a real punch. it was weight training, pure and simple. even with the lighter weights, the punches were very abbreviated, not complete punches. with all the photographers present, it looked more like a media event, and not genuine training.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Similar training:

that kind of training is really good for building raw strength and athleticism. But I was not at all impressed with the quality of the punching technique they were showing. And I suspect very strongly that it's largely a result of using the weights. Everything about their posture indicated they were over-compensating for the weights and the detrimental effect that the weights had on posture and body engagement.

Last edited by a moderator:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
um... yeah, i understand the concept.

if you rely on raw physical strength of the arms and shoulders for the power in your punches, then you should continue to do these kinds of exercises.

i've been trained to do things differently from that.

if you like it and see benefits to it, then do it. i don't.

Punching involves more than your arms it uses your whole body.

Punching correctly and effectively is increadably complex. Again maywether as in that video. Does not throw punches that have never been seen before. But he consistently throws those punches in a manner that is very difficult to counter.

This is because of the complexity of throwing a correct punch.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Punching involves more than your arms it uses your whole body.

yup, that's my point.

Punching correctly and effectively is increadably complex.

yup, much more so than most people realize, including a whole lot of people who have a whole lot of training.

Again maywether as in that video. Does not throw punches that have never been seen before. But he consistently throws those punches in a manner that is very difficult to counter.

yup, he's very good at what he does. But that was a media appearance, didn't look to me like real training.

Marnetmar

Black Belt
Reaction score
If I wanted to build speed and power I would only repeat this technique in sets of five at the most so as to not compromise proper punching technique.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
none of that looked like real punching to me. it was weight and conditioning, using punching-like movements. when he used the heavier weights in the beginning of the clip, he punched up into the air, it didn't even resemble a real punch. it was weight training, pure and simple. even with the lighter weights, the punches were very abbreviated, not complete punches. with all the photographers present, it looked more like a media event, and not genuine training.

It is weight conditioning and punching like movements.

The point of the drill really.

More videos if you did not like the first one.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=teRszXrmmlY

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
yup, that's my point.

yup, much more so than most people realize, including a whole lot of people who have a whole lot of training.

yup, he's very good at what he does. But that was a media appearance, didn't look to me like real training.

But you are trying to say that weighted punching is for arm/shoulder only punching. Which pretty much nobody does. But a lot of people do weighted punching.

As far as maywether goes it is both.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pllCVGsmojU

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It is weight conditioning and punching like movements.

The point of the drill really.

More videos if you did not like the first one.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=teRszXrmmlY

i'm not impressed by that video either.

strength training and conditioning are fine, and the fellow in this video is probably an impressive athlete. however, this kind of drill poses a danger of destroying good technique, for the sake of strength and conditioning. Better to keep those exercises separate. then you can develop strength and conditioning without compromising good technique.

I used to do this kind of thing too. I did my kata with wrist and ankle weights. But it was not quality training. it was simply good conditioning, but bad for technique.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
i'm not impressed by that video either.

strength training and conditioning are fine, and the fellow in this video is probably an impressive athlete. however, this kind of drill poses a danger of destroying good technique, for the sake of strength and conditioning. Better to keep those exercises separate. then you can develop strength and conditioning without compromising good technique.

I used to do this kind of thing too. I did my kata with wrist and ankle weights. But it was not quality training. it was simply good conditioning, but bad for technique.

Yet is a pretty consistent method of training used by people who compete in striking. Why do you think that is?

Latest Discussions