hmmm.......killed for living with boyfriend, could it be a.....

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
That honor killing in the muslim community still happens, and it would be interesting to take a poll to see what the muslim American community thought about the practice. Exactly.

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
..that honor killings should be given some sort of "hate crime" status IMO. This is America, your traditional values that require murder will not fly here.

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Isn't the murder conviction going to give a long enough sentence? The whole hate crime thing has always been odd to me. The underlying crime should be enough, shouldn't it?

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
Isn't the murder conviction going to give a long enough sentence? The whole hate crime thing has always been odd to me. The underlying crime should be enough, shouldn't it?

It should...hate crime legislation is more about political statement imo.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah, killing someone regardless of what race, gender, ethnicity, nationality, ice cream preference should all carry the same punishment, not more or less based on those qualities.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2009-11-29-honor-killings-in-the-US_N.htm
Many Muslim leaders in the USA say that Islam does not promote honor killings and that the practice stems from sexism and tribal behavior that predates the religion.
"You're always going to get problems with chauvinism and suppressing vulnerable populations and gender discrimination," says Salam Al-Marayati, executive director of the Muslim Public Affairs Council.
Not all agree. Zuhdi Jasser says some Muslim communities have failed to spell out how Islam deals with issues that can lead to violence.

The tribal argument has some merit, especially if you are familiar with the Iraq and Afghanistan wars. While the government says 1 thing, factions often form along tribal lines. These tribes reject government law and enforce their own. The increase of these crimes in the US can be linked to increases in immigration from these regions. I suspect that there will be an increase for a short time, until the newbs learn to adopt to their new home. This happens with every immigrant group. There have been about 20 such killings in the US in the past 20 years. Currently a minor number (statistically speaking it's a non-number), a sudden increase would merit more attention.

Recent reports also indicate that American Muslims are feeling things for them are on the improvement in the US, even with more media attention in light of recent events. Saw a story on CNN I think earlier.

OP
Twin Fist

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
even one death of this type is one too many, but it DOES happen.

I guess there are that many shark attack fatalities, but it is an issue that MUST be spoken of, dealt with, and brought into the light of day so the very idea can be stamped out

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You could just as easily go through the paper and find all kinds of incidences of wives and children being killed for one reason or another by their Christian husbands. Why are you picking on the Muslims?
Sean

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
..that honor killings should be given some sort of "hate crime" status IMO. This is America, your traditional values that require murder will not fly here.

QFT!!! **** like this may fly over in Iraq and other countries over there, and yes, I understand those people want to maintain some sort of traditions, from over there, even while living here, but this is overboard. These people are nuts!

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You could just as easily go through the paper and find all kinds of incidences of wives and children being killed for one reason or another by their Christian husbands. Why are you picking on the Muslims?
Sean

Funny...I dont see Americans doing stuff like this as part of their daily lifestyle. What you do see here, is a killing out of jealousy, ie: a girl breaks up with her boyfriend. The girl gets a new boyfriend. Ex b/f is devastated over the loss. He takes on the, "If I can't have you, nobody will!" attitude.

Razor

Green Belt
Reaction score
Sean

In this case it is more of an issue as it appears to be tied in with the religion. Although Christians still kill, they don't generally claim it's for religious reasons (any more at least). Although most Moslems claim that killing is not part of the religion, some disagree, so I think the issue is that it is seen by others to be linked to religion rather than any other factors.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In this case it is more of an issue as it appears to be tied in with the religion. Although Christians still kill, they don't generally claim it's for religious reasons (any more at least). Although most Moslems claim that killing is not part of the religion, some disagree, so I think the issue is that it is seen by others to be linked to religion rather than any other factors.
Since when did American's stop basing their jealous rages on how they felt things should be? If you kill your wife because she sought sex outside the marriage, its a religious thing.
Sean

fangjian

Black Belt
Reaction score
Since when did American's stop basing their jealous rages on how they felt things should be? If you kill your wife because she sought sex outside the marriage, its a religious thing.
Sean

If someone kills their wife because he thought his wife was cheating, there are many possible reasons of why he would kill her. What do you mean, 'it's a religious thing' ?

Razor

Green Belt
Reaction score
Sean

No, that is not necessarily a religious thing. There are plenty of evolutionary reasons why people jealously guard partners. Anyway, you were asking why it was such an issue with Muslims, I was just giving a possible reason why it is in the news more.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Christians manage to kill each other for religion in Northern Ireland. there's 'honour' killings there too. Catholic girl and Protestant boy and vice versa will attract those who think it's better to be dead than wed to either a 'Proddie' or a 'Fenian'.