HMAS Sydney

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
On the 19th November 1941, while returning from Singapore, the Royal Australian Naval vessel HMAS Sydney encountered and challenged a merchant ship off the coast of West Australia. The merchant ship turned out to be the German auxilliary cruiser and merchant raider Kormoran. The Kormoran attacked the Sydney.

The Australian vessel was hit 50 times before returning fire and over 150 times by the end of the encounter. Both ships drifted apart badly damaged and were never seen again. 320 of the Kormoran's 397 crew were rescued, but not one of the Australian ship's crew was found. The sinking of the Sydney represents the largest loss of life for an Australian warship and was the largest ship of WWII to be lost with all hands.

On the 17th March 2008, 200km off the West Australian coast, the remains of the HMAS Sydney were found, not far away were the remains of the Kormoran. The site has been declared a national memorial.

Some peace and closure at last for the families of those lost with the Sydney.

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
I can only join ST - and his fine country - in saluting the bravery of the Sydney's crew. One can only imagine the shock those men felt upon discovering, at close range, that the odd merchant ship was actually a monstrous auxiliary cruiser. That they were able to rally and sink their adversary after the crack German crew got the first 4 dozen shots in simply amazes me.

It is tragic that none of them lived to tell about it, but in the end, actions do speak louder than words.

RIP

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree with Grydth. This was heroism of the highest order. :asian:

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My honours to the crew of HMAS Sydney - as a civilian I have not the right to salute but I salute their memory with utmost respect.

Latest Discussions