Hmais "Hall of Fame"

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I will get those names... the gentlemen were very gracious hosts. Calling it "training with" might be overstating the case... I think it was more like "spent some time swapping techniques" might be better. Once you say "trained with" people love to distort that vague statement. They probably spent more time taking pictures and talking history at the Palama settlement than they spent working out LOL.

I think I read in this thread (althoguht havent bothered to look) but all of the awards and stuff were going to be mailed out to the recipients... our group just decided to go ahead and go to Hawaii (what were they thinking! Hawaii?! yuck!) so they got theirs in person. Althought the Professor certificate was not expected :)

Dozer_D8

White Belt
Reaction score
The 2006 Hmais Hall of Fame has just been announced. Life goes on.%-}

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Professor John Pagdilao was the man who took such good care of our guys while they were in Hawaii.

Dozer_D8

White Belt
Reaction score
I have been told that he is a good person and an excellant martial artist. Professor Geary was fortunate to meet up with him. Thank you for the follow up.

C

Chuan Fa Sifu

On August 25, 2005, members of the West Oahu Martial Arts Academy and Tsyyoi Bazuko Kenpo Karate Club of Hawaii, honored Professor John A. Pagdilao by promoting him to the rank of 10th Degree, with the title of Grandmaster. He is being recognized for his personal dedication to his students, fellow martial artists and for his public commitment to his community.

Professor Pagdilao has 48 years of expertise in the Martial Arts fields of Judo, Kung Fu, Kenpo-Karate, and Mix Martial Arts. He first started teaching at the Civil Defense Tsunami Center in Ewa Beach, Hawaii, in 1966 and other locations....Iroquois Pt., Marine Station, Makakilo, Wahiawa, Waianae, Ewa, and Ewa Beach. The Tsuyoi Bazuko Kenpo Karate Club will turn 40 years next year. He presently teaching at Ilima Intermediate School.

This will be the last gathering under the West Oahu Martial Arts Academy banner. Members of both organizations have formed under the banner of "Hui O Na Koa Kuike" as August 26, 2005. Grandmaster Pagdilao would like to acknowledge the support of the West Oahu Martail Arts Academy over the last 12 years.

Gerry Scott

C

Chuan Fa Sifu

Aloha,

As of August 25, 2005, members of the Tsuyoi Bazuko Kenpo Karate Club and the Hui O Na Koa Kulike are no longer affiliated with Hawaii Martial Arts International Society,

Mahalo

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I don't understand... you honor him with 10th degree and on the same day disassociate from his organization???

C

Chuan Fa Sifu

Grandmaster John Pagdilao and his members of Tsuyoi Bazuko Kenpo Karate Club & Hui O Na Koa Kulike are no longer affiliated with HMAIS.

kenpoworks

Purple Belt
Reaction score
"Hall of Fame"?...can somebody please tell me what its all about as well as how many hall's of fame there are and if there is more than one, which is the best, OH and the point of it is, helpful replies only!

Andrew Evans

Purple Belt
Reaction score
kenpoworks said:
"Hall of Fame"?...can somebody please tell me what its all about as well as how many hall's of fame there are and if there is more than one, which is the best, OH and the point of it is, helpful replies only!
Since nobody is answering, I'll give it a shot. The Hall of Fame that is the best is the one that you feel comfortable joining.

For example, I was invited to join a different "Hall of Fame" last year and thought about joining it until I heard someone brag that their instructor was nominated for the same distinction. "It's so cool that Sensei so and so got nominated. He must be really great."

Sensei so and so did squat! He does not travel across the country at least 5 times every year to train and teach martial arts. Sensei so and so has been in the martial arts for less than 20 years. He never published an article or book and only has a handful of blackbelts. He's under 40 years old! How could he be a master deserving of such a status??

I did not disclose to the misguided student that I was also nominated but decided that if they were going to nominate that joker, I did not want to be a part of that "Hall of Fame."

RevIV

Black Belt
Reaction score
Another thing that i have seen with Hall of Fame's (not all) that if you are in, you have to actively nominate somewhere around 5 people a year for the hall of fame to stay active. So, a lot of them are for the money. It also brings newspaper recognition to heo inductee that the unknowing public will see believe to be the best. The public knows very little of the martial arts, if they call your school and you do not answer, they are just going to call the next school in the book.

Jesse

Latest Discussions