Hmais "Hall of Fame"

gavarn

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I believe their was a burglary in the home of one of the members and taken were a lot of the items and possably money for the event.

Matt

Black Belt
Reaction score
gavarn said:
I believe their was a burglary in the home of one of the members and taken were a lot of the items and possably money for the event.

Oh yeah - I saw the email from Jaime Abregana. It's been forwarded to lots of folks as he didn't have emails for everyone involved I guess. Apparently his house was burglarized and all the money and the awards were taken. I wonder if the police have any leads. At least everyone who paid to get into the hall of fame will be inducted, and they will get a discount on his next event.

It seems kind of weird that someone would steal awards. I mean, the folks who sent their money in probably already had their names on the awards, so what use would they be. Bad luck that he cashed their checks and was keeping the money at his house, too. I hope they catch the responsible party and throw the book at them. I hope his insurance covers that sort of thing.

Well, at least it didn't mention any injuries, one blessing in an unfortunate event.

Matt

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
"Bad Luck"??????????????????????? that he had 100s of people's CASH at his house? that's not un-lucky that is UN-SMART

And the awards were stolen too??? This stretches my ability to believe nonsense.

What if... the awards were never purchased? The break-in did not happen? Well, then we move from un-smart to un-honest. I'm just putting that out there for consideration...

Insurance does not cover the losses incurred by the attendees for non-refundable airline tickets to Hawaii.

kenpoworks

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Please tell me how this "Hall of Fame" thing works, you pay your money and then you get inducted?
Do you get nominated?. Is it a Style , System, Association award or is it open to all?
What do you have to do to qualify?
Its something I have heard of but never paid too much attention to....these posts got me curious...."burgularies"!
Rich

gmkuoha

Orange Belt
Reaction score
There are several different organizations that have these Hall of Fame awards and they have board members that induct serveral martial artists that they feel have contributed to the arts more then normal and have brought the arts to the forefront. Some are very legitimate while others are just bogus and trying to induct people that are just popular and have a huge following that can bring guests to the event therefore making loads of money. I have been inducted 7 times including the HMAIS which was supposed to be in July. My daughter and I were both notified that we were being inducted. After research I found that to be an honor so I accepted but as everyone knows it was put on hold due to the burglary. Generally these events have a good base, but sometimes allot of people are inducted for no reason except their money...so I feel priviledged because I have none of that.
Grandmaster Kuoha

OP
LawDog

LawDog

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thank you for your replies, emails and phone calls. Was a police report filed?

Matt

Black Belt
Reaction score
Meijin10 said:

You know, nobody I know can seem to find one, but as wonderful luck would have it, Gerry Scott of the HMAIS is a former police officer in Hawaii (Honolulu PD) so I bet he could track it down for you.

But, as even betterluck would have it, I have heard that the wrongdoers have been apprehended. I can't wait to read all about it in the papers. I'm glad it all seems to be working out. Now all those nice people can get their money back.

OP
LawDog

LawDog

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Matt,

Thank you for your response. I have received the correct information.
Have a good day.

C

Chuan Fa Sifu

Aloha Mr. Barnes,

It appears that your Hawaii sources have kept you well informed of Mr. Jaime Abregana and HMAIS. It does not appear that you need any assistance from the Honolulu Police Department or any law enforcement officer in the State of Hawaii.
To date, the information you have shared has not been made public. For this reason, you might want to verify your information.
You and others have express concerns for Mr. Abregana and HMAIS. If this is genuine, it would be best to contact Mr. Abregana directly. This would eliminate any incorrect assumptions, false accusations, and innuendos that may cause prejudice against Mr. Abregana and HMAIS.

Mahalo,

Gerry Scott

Matt

Black Belt
Reaction score
Chuan Fa Sifu said:
Aloha Mr. Barnes,
Aloha,Mr. Scott.

Chuan Fa Sifu said:
It appears that your Hawaii sources have kept you well informed of Mr. Jaime Abregana and HMAIS. It does not appear that you need any assistance from the Honolulu Police Department or any law enforcement officer in the State of Hawaii.
I do try to keep my ear to the ground. Thanks for noticing. As for a police report, I, didn't bring it up, I was just trying to help the person who asked, and as I know you have a link to both the HMAIS and at one point a HPD career, you would be the man who could answer his question, as I could not.
Chuan Fa Sifu said:
To date, the information you have shared has not been made public. For this reason, you might want to verify your information.
Okay - I'll see if I can get the headers on the email and trace them to determine the origin (if it was forged or not) but it seemed pretty legit. You know how those email things can get, though.
Chuan Fa Sifu said:
You and others have express concerns for Mr. Abregana and HMAIS. If this is genuine, it would be best to contact Mr. Abregana directly. This would eliminate any incorrect assumptions, false accusations, and innuendos that may cause prejudice against Mr. Abregana and HMAIS.

Mahalo,

Gerry Scott

Thanks for the tip. Of course, nobody would want ill to befall Mr. Abregana, or anyone else for that matter.

Mahalo,

Matt

K

kenpoman

Oh yeah - I saw the email from Jaime Abregana. It's been forwarded to lots of folks as he didn't have emails for everyone involved

So Mr. Barnes why did'nt you ask Mr.Abregana himself, when you saw the email?

D.Ho

Matt

Black Belt
Reaction score
kenpoman said:
Oh yeah - I saw the email from Jaime Abregana. It's been forwarded to lots of folks as he didn't have emails for everyone involved

So Mr. Barnes why did'nt you ask Mr.Abregana himself, when you saw the email?

D.Ho

Ask what? I answered some questions, and tried to find answers for folks, but I'm not sure what you are getting at.

Matt

K

kenpoman

Ask what? I answered some questions, and tried to find answers for folks, but I'm not sure what you are getting at.
I do try to keep my ear to the ground. Thanks for noticing. As for a police report, I, didn't bring it up, I was just trying to help the person who asked

Of course, nobody would want ill to befall Mr. Abregana, or anyone else for that matter.
Originally Posted by Meijin10

You know, nobody I know can seem to find one,

Why did'nt you ask Mr. Abregana himself?

D.Ho

Matt

Black Belt
Reaction score
kenpoman said:
Why did'nt you ask Mr. Abregana himself?

D.Ho

Oh! Why didn't I ask Jaime Abregana if a police report had been filed on the burglary at his house? Well, it would be a fruitless exercise. He could be completely honest, and he would say, "of course I did". If he were not, he would say, "of course I did."

Unfortunately, I don't know him well enough to vouch for him, so I have to rely on third parties. However, as you and I have tilted at slanderous windmills before, if you think it's a good idea, I will ask him. I hope you don't mind if I use your name as having suggested it, so he won't think I'm some weirdo asking out of the blue. He doesn't know me from Adam, as far as I know, which is why my forwarded email on this topic came from someone who had it forwarded to them from someone who got it from a fellow named Todd Monis.

Regards,

Matt

K

kenpoman

Oh! Why didn't I ask Jaime Abregana if a police report had been filed on the burglary at his house? Well, it would be a fruitless exercise. He could be completely honest, and he would say, "of course I did". If he were not, he would say, "of course I did."

Why do you question Mr Abregana's interegity?

Reactions: MJS
K

kenpoman

Unfortunately, I don't know him well enough to vouch for him, so I have to rely on third parties. However, as you and I have tilted at slanderous windmills before, if you think it's a good idea, I will ask him. I hope you don't mind if I use your name as having suggested it, so he won't think I'm some weirdo asking out of the blue. He doesn't know me from Adam, as far as I know, which is why my forwarded email on this topic came from someone who had it forwarded to them from someone who got it from a fellow named Todd Monis.

Complete strangers are willing to answer questions, when asked politely and respectfully. So you received a forwarded email? How could this information have such a profound effect on you? Will it result in you having to pay more taxes, restrict you from martial arts training, or hinder you from providing for you family? Perusing and spreading third party information benefits no one.

D.Ho

Matt

Black Belt
Reaction score
kenpoman said:

Why do you question Mr Abregana's interegity?

I'm not sure that you are following the logic. Perhaps if I change the name and situation, you will get why I didn't ring up Mr. Abregana.

If I were to ask Michael Jackson if he molested those kids, how would he answer? I'm guessing, he would say, "of course not." He was just acquitted. Many feel he was vindicated, and was telling the truth. Others feel he was lucky to have slipped through, and was as guilty as can be. I haven't been to neverland, so asking Michael would not put me any closer to a verifiable answer. This has to do with logic, not Jaime Abregana's character.

Matt

Black Belt
Reaction score
kenpoman said:

Complete strangers are willing to answer questions, when asked politely and respectfully. So you received a forwarded email? How could this information have such a profound effect on you? Will it result in you having to pay more taxes, restrict you from martial arts training, or hinder you from providing for you family? Perusing and spreading third party information benefits no one.

D.Ho

It helps me answer questions on the internet.

You see, it said, "if you have nominated someone else as well, Please pass this letter on to those nominees. We do not have email addresses for everyone, and do not want to leave anyone out."

I knew a nominee or two (or more), and I guess I just ended up on the list, so to speak. And, actually, it seems that some nominees had questions. Just passing the word. Then came the backlash, so now my curiosity is piqued.

Matt

K

kenpoman

I'm not sure that you are following the logic

why I didn't ring up Mr. Abregana

Although Mr. Abregana does not not know you from Adam, the two of you are still connected in this martial arts community. Both of you are martial artists. Both of you have mutual friends in Hawaii and Massachusetts. With a little introduction or help from friends, I am sure Mr. Abregana would'nt mind you giving him a ring to clarify or answer any of your concerns.

D.Ho

Latest Discussions