History of style

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was wondering how many MA'ers actually teach the history of said style, I.E. do you go back to the beginning or do you stay withen the last century. If you do not give info. on the style you teach, why do you choose not to.
Terry Lee Stoker

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I do. I feel it's necessary to preserve & pass on the traditions. I go back to the start of the tradition & follow our tree out. I don't go through every single person or every single event, but I hit on the ones that are important to our branch & shaped our branch. I touch briefly on the very notable persons within the system, current heads of the different branches, but I focus mainly on us.

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
I believe it is important for students to know the history of the art in which they study. We cover the major people who shapped our ryu and after that we leave it to the individual if they wish to research further.

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I try to teach the history, however most martial history is a tad dodgy

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The Kai said:
I try to teach the history, however most martial history is a tad dodgy
Kinda... but I guess (IMHO) it depends on the who's, the what's, the when's, etc...

Lots of TMA history is straight forward & lacks the "creative story telling" of some, but is just as important.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
My primary system is not even 100 years old, so I teach all that I can about it specifically. I do, however, teach about the masters that taught our founder and how the different masters are or are not linked together. I also try to teach the history of the kata that we practise and what other styles also practise them. Since the Okinawan MA's are overlapping, so to speak, it is dificult to teach just one aspect of the history behind the formation of a particular style. I require my students to also have at least a small understanding of different historical figures that have made an impact on what and why we train.

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I give the olf okanowin history, such as the history of (insert weapion here)...that kind of thing, or is a question is brought up, If I can't answer it I try and have the answer by next class.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
I was wondering how many MA'ers actually teach the history of said style, I.E. do you go back to the beginning or do you stay withen the last century. If you do not give info. on the style you teach, why do you choose not to.
Terry Lee Stoker
I sure do make sure people know where we came from! American Kenpo Karate has a very interesting history!! SO does our particular association.

I think that an understanding of history is important....but we musn't be confined/tied to it. It's now where we are, it's where we were.
Perspective is important.

Your Brother
John

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Brother John said:
The Massive Majority of martial arts out there aren't even 60 years old.
Just a fact.

Your Brother
John
"The massive majority of martial arts practiced by the massive majority of the population ... "

That's closer to the mark!

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Brother John said:
I sure do make sure people know where we came from! American Kenpo Karate has a very interesting history!!

If you can get anyone to agree on it. :) I usually talk back to GM Chow and then say "and from there things get fuzzy."

Actually, I dislike how many arts lay claim to truly ancient lineages, like kenpo did in The Perfect Weapon; "old school, 2000 years old." It doesn't matter what Bodhidarma did, because you probably ain't doing it.

Lamont

S

Shane Smith

We strive to be true to historically-accurate WMA methods with a strong emphasis on martial capability within those parameters at ARMA. There is no "style" without an eye for history in my opinion.

Kenpokaratemom

White Belt
Reaction score
Brother John said:
I sure do make sure people know where we came from! American Kenpo Karate has a very interesting history!! SO does our particular association.

I completely agree. I am curious as to how you teach the history to younger students? Do you give verbal lessons or do you assign reading materials? Do you test their knowledge on occasion? Do you require written papers on the history?Are paticular history facts required to be known for belt advancements?

Thanks for your time.

Latest Discussions