What make a Ma'er

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was wondering in your school what makes a MA'er and why. Qualifications,skill,technique, maybe years in the particular Art. Does time matter or skill. Does technique matter or knowledge. Does the instructor need to do everything 100% or can they have errors. Do you respect an instructor if they are unable to do certain techniques anymore or do you leave and find a new one. Does the school need to be there for ever for it to be a good one or can a new school have the reputation for you to go.

Terry Lee Stoker

Does time test the man or does man test time?

mj_lover

Blue Belt
Reaction score
at my old judo club it was about dedication, understanding, attitude, and technique. I'm mot 100% sure about my new kenpo school, as i havn't really had a taste of what more experiacnced/higher ranked fighters are like, but it looks from what i have seen to be more of a technigue and attitude thing.
hope that answers your question

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Funny how "teaching ability" and "personality" almost never gets mentioned...

A good teacher with lower technical skill beats a bad teacher with higher technical skill hands down.

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
Funny how "teaching ability" and "personality" almost never gets mentioned...

A good teacher with lower technical skill beats a bad teacher with higher technical skill hands down.
Yeah, but a good teacher does not a good martial artist make. Just like a science teacher is not necesarily a scientist, or a music teach may not be a musician, there is a difference between being a good teacher and a good martial artist.

With regard to the original post: I dont think you can answer this question, really. People get into the martial arts for different reasons. I would say a succesful martial artist is one who has fulfilled their own ambitions, or is on the path to doing so.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
What makes a martial artist teacher? is the question?

If a person has:

Fuller understanding of the art(years/testing/competition/dedication to learn) = gives qualification to teach

Knows how to teach/communicate to give someone else the art = has the skill of a teacher (which does include personality and PASSION)

Physical ability & good technique = a teacher's tools
(But I think a good teacher can also use someone else to demonstrate what he is teaching just as well as himself, if he has already taught that person well)

More years in the art teaching and practicing = gives broader base of knowledge of the art to draw from and ability to affect more people and spread the art -- therefore, also gives credibility and reputation.

TW

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I belive that anyone who practices Martial Arts of some kind, and is dedicated to it 100%, always keeps him/herself humble, and keeps an open mind. then that person is considered a Martial Artist.

Corporal Hicks

Black Belt
Reaction score
Sin said:
I belive that anyone who practices Martial Arts of some kind, and is dedicated to it 100%, always keeps him/herself humble, and keeps an open mind. then that person is considered a Martial Artist.
Ahem to that brother!

Latest Discussions