History Channel - The Human Weapon

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well other than some nice scenary and some okay video footage it did leave alot to be desired. They were supposed to actually have a fight at the end with a former Thai Champion but it was more like tag. (no effort behind the strikes and it certainly was not a fight) It could be better with less host face time and more martial arts being featured. Oh well we will see how next week goes. (escrima) I will tape them but tonight's episode was not the best in my opinon. I hope to be pleasantly surprised next week! Oh and yes maybe I am just expecting to much.
wink.gif

From the Hype and from the copious amounts of talking, I was hoping for a fight at the end. The build up was not what was delivered.

I was left wanting more.

I agree the history aspect was a good attempt. Not knowing much, Thai culture it was good from that aspect.

PS: I did like the one comment about how people live and how people in the States should not complain.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
From the Hype and from the copious amounts of talking, I was hoping for a fight at the end. The build up was not what was delivered.

I was left wanting more.

I agree the history aspect was a good attempt. Not knowing much, Thai culture it was good from that aspect.

PS: I did like the one comment about how people live and how people in the States should not complain.

I think that you and I are probably on the same page regarding the show Rich!

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think that you and I are probably on the same page regarding the show Rich!

I'm with the both of you to me it was not up to the hype history was OK but it really needed more about the Art itself and lees of those two.

I really liked the original "Ice Truckers" show on the history channel that talked about the hisotry of the ice road and that included unfortunately deaths.

But the recent Ice Raod Trucker series is a reality show, I am not sure if this is not as well. I am hoping they do not loose site of what made the channel great. "History" and Not Drama.

So, I still respect their attempt at presenting some people with some history of the culture.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I wasn't impressed by The Human Weapon, either. Too much hyperbole, not enough substance. And too much host... It's clear they didn't really spend a lot of time actually training or learning about the art. Nice travelogue, though...

karate-dragon

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Saw the first of the 13 episodes on Muay Thai. It is very well done. Actually enjoyed the fight at the end and the honesty of Jason Chambers who was a little nervous to go up against the Muay Thai fighter. It is very similar to the show on FitTv, so kind of been there done that. But the more shows on about Martial Arts the better!

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu
Liked the history, the bits with the actual teachers, hated both dumbass hosts.

This guy Jason Chambers was billed as a "Mixed martial Artist and professional fighter" well then why the hell have i never heard of him.

And yes.

If he'd had an actual fight with the Thai champ, the Thai would have stone cold run his *** OVER. And it was obvious. And it was disappointing. And should never have been promised by the show.

You wanna bill it as educational, as two guys learning about the martial arts, and training and having fun, fine. But if this show is gonna survive it has to ditch the fake challenge matches.

BudoTiger

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I thought it was really good. Wife even enjoyed it and she isnt much into MA. Jason Chambers was an undercard/mid card fighter in i think King of the Cage. I could be wrong and will have to double check. I think peoples expectations were wrong because i think history channeled billed it wrong. It was billed as they were training then fought at the end when it should have been billed more that they were taught specific techniques to each style then tried their hand in a sparring/exibition fight at the end. and if you watched alot of the "pro am" fights it featured very few of them were blood n guts fights either. most of them had less action then what the fight with chambers had. guess i just have a unique way of looking at things. lol

Latest Discussions