hi i need help

karatemom

Green Belt
Reaction score
OH MY! as an ITA person I'm embarassed to see that.
Like granfire said she is a kid. At my school we are taught to do our forms hard, sharp and fast!

Here is one of my instructors (i.e. the standard by which we are all judged lol - he's been doing this since he was 10)

Last edited by a moderator:

tko4u

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Honestly, I would recommend you avoid taekwondo all together. As sad as it is to say, you will be hard pressed to find effective taekwondo now these days. If you do, it is probably mixed with some other arts.

By going to a mediocre school (McDojang), you may have to spend a long time fixing bad habits down the road.

I would strongly recommend muay thai if you are interested in learning a striking art.

Whoa! easy there, tkd schools are still effecient. you just have to find a good one. but to say someone should avoid it all together is offending.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Here is one of my instructors (i.e. the standard by which we are all judged lol - he's been doing this since he was 10)

It says he is doing a freestyle form, what does that mean?
Not used to seeing so high kicks in a form myself, but I am no TKDist either.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
He composed the form himself. Freestyle.

It's at a national/International Tourney, too (remember the venue... ;) )

I wish I had some footage of the regionals last year...the Xtreme was very impressive... (not the same guy)

Independent_TKD

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
to say someone should avoid it all together is offending.

Didn't mean to offend. I was just giving my own experiences from where I'm from (and I'm not from a small town). I have seen that the vast number of school these days do actually teach mostly ineffective and impractical techniques.

You are right that there are some good schools out there. I'm sure yours is one of them. However, they are very rare and hard to find these days. I'll admit it is sad, but in my opinion, if an adult wanted my advice, I would steer them clear of most taekwondo schools.

OP
S

sub7

White Belt
Reaction score
the only reason i do taekwondo is i want to know how to kick high with cool styles like this guy
. and this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxSj3FAa01E&NR=1. im happy as long i learn more cool kicking styles and maybe win some taekwondo compititions some day, but now im just practice front snap kick, axe kick, round house kick and trying my best to kick as high as i can. i also can do muay tai too but i choose to not learn it and i think muay tai is very effective for kick boxing, but i personally i dont think muay tai move and style look cool as tkd. if i want to do muay tai latter, i can spend my summer break time in my country and hire some muay tai proffestional to train me 6 or 12 hours a day.

thank everyone for advice and commend i appreciate it. :)

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Sub,

About looking cool.

Long time ago I worried about what people thought of me. I worried day and night about that so I made sure I looked good and 'cool' so I'd be accepted.

Later I decided I didn't care what people thought of me. I did my thing as I saw fit. Just raised my jaw and went by my own drummer. The world could just go on without me.

Then as I got older it occured to me no one thought much of me at all! They really didn't pay attention to me and never did! All that worry and rebellion was for nothing.

Don't get into the martial arts for the wrong reason. Get in it to improve yourself in your own eyes, not the eyes of all the others.

Deaf

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sub,

About looking cool.

Long time ago I worried about what people thought of me. I worried day and night about that so I made sure I looked good and 'cool' so I'd be accepted.

Later I decided I didn't care what people thought of me. I did my thing as I saw fit. Just raised my jaw and went by my own drummer. The world could just go on without me.

Then as I got older it occured to me no one thought much of me at all! They really didn't pay attention to me and never did! All that worry and rebellion was for nothing.

Don't get into the martial arts for the wrong reason. Get in it to improve yourself in your own eyes, not the eyes of all the others.

Deaf

About the best thing I heard all day!

Latest Discussions