Help! My School's Becoming A Mcdojang!!!

deadhand31

Brown Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
The 7th layer of Hell. Wisconsin, to the rest of y
I have a serious problem. First off, I want to say that my school is part of a chain. My school is not representative of the entire chain. My instructor focuses on a militaristic, harder style of TKD, coupled with hapkido and hosinsul. Every year, our school wastes the other branches in the chain in the inter-school tourney. The other schools really hate us.

This year in the inter-school tourney, they tried to adapt rules to bring our performance down. In the demonstration competition, the time was brought down from 10 minutes to 8 minutes. This was to limit the stuff we could do, because we always do something different than their norms. They also dumbed down the board breaking competion. The past rules were 2 techniques, and if you didn't put your leg down in a routine, it would be considered 1 technique. However, this year, they limited it to only 2 holders. This brought down the stuff that our school normally tries. This was stuff that I was able to tolerate.

Now, something may happen that really is going to tick me off, and push me over the boiling point. Several of the other schools have a terrible black belt retention rate. This is because after black belt, they don't get pushed enough, since testing takes longer. This has not been a problem at our branch, because we get the fun classes which make us kick our own butts. To right this problem, a proposal was made to introduce a red stripe to the belt. This would be like a "half-dan". In other words, instead of my next test being for a yellow stripe, or il-dan, I would have to test for the half-dan, or red stripe. This would mean that people wouldn't have to wait so long to test again, in order to retain students and rake in testing fees. I am strongly against this. My instructor is against this. If it happens, I really want to leave, because I do not want to support a martial arts organization that puts such a high emphasis on money. However, I really like my instructor, and would be hard pressed to find another like him. Any advice on this matter would be appreciated.

glad2bhere

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Dear Dead:

Please take this in the most supportive way, but you are headed down the wrong path.

Whatever the reason for the changes in your school, until such time as they actually interfere with your being able to train hard as you want and become the best that you can be, you are simply allowing these things to distract you so you need not put as much into your own training as you might. Contrary to the usual commercial premise, a school does not trade progress in MA for so much money tendered. Rather, a school provides you an opportunity to work hard and press the limits of your own envelope. From what I can tell from your post you are letting changes in the environment distract you. Ignore it. As I say, until such time as the changes actually get in the way of your own training it really has very little to do with you. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

M

MountainSage

I would continue of Mr Sims' though in that it is usually ego that is our downfall. I have had many bad days and two horrorable test because my ego got in the way. What your school chooses to do has no and is no reflect on you. The action you describe are test that support ego, not improve you as an MA. When a person looks at the MA as a way to win contests and not as a way to improve themselves, then they have missed the point of MA completely. See this situation as an opportunity to become a better BB in the future; more training time, thinking more critical about how to design routines and breaks for interschool competitions. A challenge has been laid down, you can rise to me it or walk away. The choice is yours:asian: .

Mountainsage

jkn75

Blue Belt
Reaction score
If you like your instructor and that's the person you see yourself training with the next few years, follow his lead. If he hates what's going on, he may walk soon, too. If he walks, he'll need students, be the first one. But you can also look at these things a little differently.

For Tournaments: If your school has dominated the chain's tournaments, they will change the rules to make it better for all the schools. Why go to a tournament if one school is always going to win? Plus the rule changes may just be to save time (has the tourney grown to where 30 people do self defense routines? if so you save an hour of time on tournament day) or a refinement of the rules. This happens but, as was said, does this really effect your training?

As far as the Black Belt situation goes if they are having a problem retaining black belts chain wide, they are trying to do something to promote interest. If people have to wait too long to test 2 things happen: 1. they don't know where they are 2. they think that it will take to long to get to the next level to start learning new material. Any test gives students something to look forward to.

Finally are they really just adding stripe tests for money? Are they as expensive as a full dan test? Are they reducing the dan fees and just shifting money around?

You are lucky. You are at a good school within the organization, stick it out. Wait to see if these changes pass. Right now it's just a proposal. If they do pass the proposal, and it's just too unbearable to stick with the organization, you may want to look at going elsewhere. But as was said, makes sure you are leaving because of what's in your heart, not just because your pride may be hurt a little.

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
I have to agree with everyone else here so far- you shouldn't let inconsequential things interfere with your own personal training.

But, if the changes do happen, you may want to sit down with your instructor and have a conversation about what he intends to do. After talking it out with him, you could consider writing or calling the owners of your school's chain and letting them know your "concerns." You are a customer of theirs after all.

D

Disco

DH31, From what you've said about your school, your a long way from the typicial McDojo. However, I will now flip the coin and give my perspective on the organization aspect. If your particular school has dominated competition within the organization and the other schools have not raised their level, then I would have to assume that the other schools and the organization don't hold any presumptions of making their people better. To me that's a warning sign of McDojoism. Right now your school is exempt, but they are making changes that could affect it. That also smacks of McDojoism. If their curriculum is lacking in order to hold black belts, I'm assuming 1st Dans, then that too lends itself to McDojoism. As was said prior, talk it over with your Instructor and if you honestly trust him, follow his lead.

OP
D

deadhand31

Brown Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Well, I just want to make it clear, I'm really not out to win trophies or contests. It just really ticked me off when our other students weren't able to compete at their full potential.

As for this red stripe thing, I'm unclear as to what the fees are. I do know the reasoning for this. It's because the other schools aren't able to retain black belts as well as ours, so they are putting them there in hopes to retain the impatient. their is a 1 year minimum from chodan to il dan, then 2 to 3 years from il dan to ee dan. Our school has no problem keeping people that long, because we always get good instruction.

OP
D

deadhand31

Brown Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Well, it was passed. The new degrees are called "Deputy Degrees", similar to a deputy black belt. They did distribute the fees somewhat, but it is now more costly to get to first degree and second degree. They also broke off of the Kukkiwon, so now they pocket 100% of all fees. I really do not want to support such an underhanded, greedy tactic like this at all. My protests at this point won't change anything, and they will be made mandatory regardless of what I or my instructor says. I will talk with my instructor, but I really do not think I can support such greed.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You know....ummm, some observations.

If your school is so successful in not only the ability to do well in tournaments and also keep their blackbelts, why don't the other schools in the chain look to your school for teaching style and modify theirs to duplicate that success?

Since the rest of the chain, according to you, doesn't want to adapt that way, it really would be up to your instructor if he wants to stay and honor the new changes. If the new changes doesn't effect the way your instructor teaches, why would it matter so much? If it puts a crimp in his teaching ability, then there are some serious decisions your instructor will have to decide.

If you trust him, take his lead with how he handles this. If he stays, stay with him and graciously adjust to the new changes. If he walks, then go.

If its too unbearable to stay even if your instructor does, then you can decide to go elsewhere solo.

- Ceicei

OP
D

deadhand31

Brown Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
I think I'll take all of your advice on this matter. Reading from the last post, I think I know why my school dropped out of the Kukkiwon. I also recently found out what the tests are based on. The deputy degrees will have no TKD involved, instead, it will all be on Hapkido. I must say, this rather surprised me. I have always wished that they included hapkido in our tests, and now I guess that's a reality.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by deadhand31
I have a serious problem. First off, I want to say that my school is part of a chain. My school is not representative of the entire chain. My instructor focuses on a militaristic, harder style of TKD, coupled with hapkido and hosinsul. Every year, our school wastes the other branches in the chain in the inter-school tourney. The other schools really hate us.

This year in the inter-school tourney, they tried to adapt rules to bring our performance down. In the demonstration competition, the time was brought down from 10 minutes to 8 minutes. This was to limit the stuff we could do, because we always do something different than their norms. They also dumbed down the board breaking competion. The past rules were 2 techniques, and if you didn't put your leg down in a routine, it would be considered 1 technique. However, this year, they limited it to only 2 holders. This brought down the stuff that our school normally tries. This was stuff that I was able to tolerate.

Now, something may happen that really is going to tick me off, and push me over the boiling point. Several of the other schools have a terrible black belt retention rate. This is because after black belt, they don't get pushed enough, since testing takes longer. This has not been a problem at our branch, because we get the fun classes which make us kick our own butts. To right this problem, a proposal was made to introduce a red stripe to the belt. This would be like a "half-dan". In other words, instead of my next test being for a yellow stripe, or il-dan, I would have to test for the half-dan, or red stripe. This would mean that people wouldn't have to wait so long to test again, in order to retain students and rake in testing fees. I am strongly against this. My instructor is against this. If it happens, I really want to leave, because I do not want to support a martial arts organization that puts such a high emphasis on money. However, I really like my instructor, and would be hard pressed to find another like him. Any advice on this matter would be appreciated.
Whats wrong with shorter termed goals again? The students need a little "atta boy" once in a while. So what? Sounds to me like they killed two birds with one stone.
Sean

M

Mudo Warrior

My only concern is why is your school not staying with Kukkiwon? I understand and agree that training is the most important thing here and that your own personal development is key, however, without Kukkiwon certification you Dan rankings will not be recognized anywhere else but at your own school. You may want to dicuss this with your instructor before you test for your next dan rank. With that being said, in the big picture a blaxk belt is only as meaningful as the ability and atitude of the one who wears it. So if you don't care about Kikkiwon certification than I say be the best martial artist you can be and have fun.

Latest Discussions