Help me!!

Rion

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I need some help in what equipment you guys think i may need to further may W.C learning, am talking about stuff like wall bags and the like.
First off i don't want to spend a lot of money and most of the stuff am geting if not all of it will be from the net, i cant get anything to big becasue it will be going up in my bedroom so say something like a wooden dummy i dont think i would have the room for it.

But i would like some ideas in what you guys think i would need, that's simple and what websites you would recommend to get it from.

I dont even mind going old school and useing bags of rice LOL becasue at the moment i am just punching my door.

matsu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
check out the london hq fella.
sifu mark philips... incredible teacher and will be able to supply you with your every need.
or sifu nick martin. very very good also-just opening a class near trafalgar i believe.
http://www.ukwingchun.com/

matsu

IrishMonk

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hey Rion,
My first and foremost thing I would suggest for you is going to be a book. I've read many WC books...but this is by FAR the best, and it will help you on so many levels...including drills etc you can do. It's called ' The Wing Chun Compendium ' by Wayne Belonoha ... vol 1 and 2. ( vol 1 is all you really need for now... vol 2 focuses on the weapon forms and the mook jong. ) Ofcourse it goes without saying... don't get ahead of your Sifu with the instructions within the book etc, bad habits are hard to break. ( ie learning Biu Ji before you have learned SNT, or Yi Ji Kim Yeung Ma...lol )

Secondly, a mook jong ( wooden dummy ). I know you said you don't have room, but I will be posting a thread on the dummy I just made soon, just making some last minute touch ups. You might be suprised at the price and space one needs... Also, you do not need to know or even concern yourself with the "wooden dummy form " for now, for it to be of use for your training now. It is a valuble tool to simply practice what you are learning now. Proper angles and foot work... etc.

And ofcourse wall bags... you can make these yourself from canvas, denim or leather... be creative and save money... :)

Last edited:

dosk3n

Green Belt
Reaction score
I got a 3 section wall bag from ebay for about £5. Very cheap but I have had no problems with it at all so I recomend this.

coffeerox

Green Belt
Reaction score
I need some help in what equipment you guys think i may need to further may W.C learning, am talking about stuff like wall bags and the like.
First off i don't want to spend a lot of money and most of the stuff am geting if not all of it will be from the net, i cant get anything to big becasue it will be going up in my bedroom so say something like a wooden dummy i dont think i would have the room for it.

But i would like some ideas in what you guys think i would need, that's simple and what websites you would recommend to get it from.

I dont even mind going old school and useing bags of rice LOL becasue at the moment i am just punching my door.

Michael Wong advertised this awhile back, I wanted one but I'm not from the UK

http://www.immortaluk.com/detail.asp?c_urn=120&show=&urn=1512&pg=1

matsu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
rion- just a wallbag is all you need for the time being. oh and a live partner lol.

. It's called ' The Wing Chun Compendium ' by Wayne Belonoha ... vol 1 and 2.
and thanks mate.... another one i need to add to my collection i didnt know about!
matsu

Boozmork

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I just ordered the Wing Chun compendium as well. I saw it a while ago but it's an expensive addition.
I'm looking forward to seeing what I can learn from it though. Thanks for pointing it out.

OP
Rion

Rion

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
thanks everyone for your help it was much needed

zepedawingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
Michael Wong advertised this awhile back, I wanted one but I'm not from the UK

http://www.immortaluk.com/detail.asp?c_urn=120&show=&urn=1512&pg=1

Don't buy that portable wall mount flat jong if you're planning to use it for Wing Chun. The arms are at the wrong angle, height between each other, and width apart. Once you got used to using that, you're centerline would end up being a foot wide instead of the inch or less than is needed (and required) for proper execution for all your hand positions and chi sao.

Look a little harder, there are others that are better, with the proper space, height, and angle between the arms.

It's hard to tell about the free standing mook yan jong from the pictures. But I would venture to say, it has the same problem as the wall mount. I'd stay clear of it too.

Latest Discussions