BJJ guy curious about WC help appreciated

Rain

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys new user here curious about Wing chun. I dont know where to begin really but to give you some background info on
me I do BJJ at ATT in florida. The best MMA academy in flordia even in the country some would say especially concerning
aliveness and practicallity and the level of instruction offered to students. I have 3 years expierience in Tangsoodo. It
took me that long to finnaly wake up and realize that what I was doing would not help me in a real life SD situation.I had
fallen in love with martial arts and was blindly accepting at least at first what I was told would work.Of course I felt
some what betrayed and like I had wasted my time when I started realizing that the things I was being taught arent very
practical and beyond that even with 3 years of never missing a class of acing evrey test and being double promoted even,
because I was so in love with martial arts(and because of this went out of my way to perfect what I was being taught) that
I could not defend myself. I was so disenchanted in fact with TMAS that I entered a stage of hatred for all things TMA. and
honestly for the most part these things are still justified. I hate that honest beginning martial artists are being scammed
even if its by an honest instructor teaching the way he was taught even if it isnt applicable in the least altough he
really thought it would work because he,s never really been in a fight or even sparred full contact (I,m not asking that an
instructor be a troublemaker or that he has ever even needed Wc to defend himself just has long has he spars full contact
regurlaly. It was the sparring being almost non-existent and even when it was around so light that it was more like dancing
then anything else that really tipped me off to the mcdojoness.) To make a long story short after reading about CMA,s and
seeing full contact WC I decided that since I,ve always wanted deep inside to take something traditional for striking that
it was just has wrong of me to say that all systems of TMA,s are **** has it is for these fraud instructors to lie because
then I would be just like them a liar. I looked at these WC,ers and saw that they where earnestly just trying to learn and
apply what they learned in a full contact setting. Noone can ask anything more than that. They where in the same boat has
me. So I come to you posters of martial talk asking for advice on where in the south florida area I might find a reputable
instructor of Wing chun that implements medium contact to full contact sparring in the curriculum. I,ve read up on wing
chun and agree with the philosiphy I really want to think that there is something to this and perhaps that I, if I do find
a school could contribute in a way to the WC community. I believe that all I need is a shove in the right direction and
that this would be the place to find it. Thank you in advance.
-Rain

IrishMonk

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Well, I'm from Texas...so I do'nt know of a good Sifu in Florida...
But I will say that WC is one of the few truely practical TMA there is imo. I myself studied TKD before WC, so I hear you...
Also, in my experience most WC schools I know of ( or hear of ) do practice full contact...even with multiple attackers etc, however I would say that it takes longer before a new student is allowed to participate...perhaps even up to a year or more. Again, this may not be the case everywhere...just my experience.
Good luck !

OP
R

Rain

White Belt
Reaction score
Thank you both for your responses. I,ll be sure to visit the various schools near me. @Irish It seems that Wc gets a bed rep because most people out there on the internet at least would say that Wc,ers never spar however it appears to me that this isnt the case. Thanks again.

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Finding a good wing chun teacher is not always easy.A lineage does not amount to much if the sifu has a shallow understanding of the art. If the teacher knows the art and you are learning well- reputation based on what most people do is not that important. Time finding a goos teacher is time well spent FWIW IMO.

joy chaudhuri
www.tempewingchun.com

IrishMonk

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, well if you speak to the Sifu of a class and he tells you there is no sparring... you might consider another class. We need to develop our skill to be useful in real life, as you know.
Our school has sparring for the more advanced students, and even invites other schools of diff. styles to participate sometimes. But, like I said...it could be a year or more before students are allowed to participate.

Boozmork

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
With regards to sparring, my school concentrates more on slow attacks to begin with, that way we're programming our bodies to stay relaxed and not tense up when we attack at speed. Sparring begins later when we're in proper control of the techniques and structure.

OP
R

Rain

White Belt
Reaction score
I,ve been looking around on the internet for schools near me. Some look sketchy But I,m planning on visiting all of them this week. Do any of you know anyone on these forums that might recommend a school in the Coral springs or boca area? If not I understand. Again you all have my gratitude. I,ll be sure to keep you posted on weather or not I find a sifu that I click with.

:D

coffeerox

Green Belt
Reaction score
Finding a good wing chun teacher is not always easy.A lineage does not amount to much if the sifu has a shallow understanding of the art. If the teacher knows the art and you are learning well- reputation based on what most people do is not that important. Time finding a goos teacher is time well spent FWIW IMO.

joy chaudhuri
www.tempewingchun.com

That is exactly why at the end of my post I put:

but it's good to check out various schools and teachers.

Lineage is important as certain things are passed down or implemented that are unique to that lineage. For instance in Duncan Leung's lineage, they do what is called 'circle' fighting where people will attack the single WC student in a controlled situation.

Wing Tsun, and only Wing Tsun that I know of, implements the Lat Sao program prior to Chi Sao. Their training program is structured differently so that they can go to any WT school and pick up where they left off.

William Cheung's Traditional Wing Chun passes down a distinct style of Wing Chun. I don't think I need to explain beyond that.

OP
R

Rain

White Belt
Reaction score
That is exactly why at the end of my post I put:

Lineage is important as certain things are passed down or implemented that are unique to that lineage. For instance in Duncan Leung's lineage, they do what is called 'circle' fighting where people will attack the single WC student in a controlled situation.

Wing Tsun, and only Wing Tsun that I know of, implements the Lat Sao program prior to Chi Sao. Their training program is structured differently so that they can go to any WT school and pick up where they left off.

William Cheung's Traditional Wing Chun passes down a distinct style of Wing Chun. I don't think I need to explain beyond that.

So are you saying that perhaps I should look for a school with leungs lineage. Do you mean that Leungs lineage is more realisitc or alive? Or do you mean that I should avoid chuen wing chun for its lack of sparring?
thats one thing about wc I dont like there is sooo much banter about my lineage Vs yours thats it hard for a noob to Wc to follow.

coffeerox

Green Belt
Reaction score
So are you saying that perhaps I should look for a school with leungs lineage. Do you mean that Leungs lineage is more realisitc or alive? Or do you mean that I should avoid chuen wing chun for its lack of sparring?
thats one thing about wc I dont like there is sooo much banter about my lineage Vs yours thats it hard for a noob to Wc to follow.

I'm trying to demonstrate that lineages are different in what they practice. Joy said it doesn't matter as long as they are good teachers. That's not necessarily good advice.

What you wanted was sparring so you need a program that includes it, as well as a teacher that emphasizes on a real world approach. That is why you shop around for a school, you need to find out what suits you the most.

Leung's lineage is called Applied Wing Chun. Everything that he has learned and teach is based on applying Wing Chun to real fighting situations. Here, read his background

http://www.appliedwingchun.com.au/master_duncan.htm

dungeonworks

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys new user here curious about Wing chun. I dont know where to begin really but to give you some background info on
me I do BJJ at ATT in florida. The best MMA academy in flordia even in the country some would say especially concerning
aliveness and practicallity and the level of instruction offered to students. I have 3 years expierience in Tangsoodo. It
took me that long to finnaly wake up and realize that what I was doing would not help me in a real life SD situation.I had
fallen in love with martial arts and was blindly accepting at least at first what I was told would work.Of course I felt
some what betrayed and like I had wasted my time when I started realizing that the things I was being taught arent very
practical and beyond that even with 3 years of never missing a class of acing evrey test and being double promoted even,
because I was so in love with martial arts(and because of this went out of my way to perfect what I was being taught) that
I could not defend myself. I was so disenchanted in fact with TMAS that I entered a stage of hatred for all things TMA. and
honestly for the most part these things are still justified. I hate that honest beginning martial artists are being scammed
even if its by an honest instructor teaching the way he was taught even if it isnt applicable in the least altough he
really thought it would work because he,s never really been in a fight or even sparred full contact (I,m not asking that an
instructor be a troublemaker or that he has ever even needed Wc to defend himself just has long has he spars full contact
regurlaly. It was the sparring being almost non-existent and even when it was around so light that it was more like dancing
then anything else that really tipped me off to the mcdojoness.) To make a long story short after reading about CMA,s and
seeing full contact WC I decided that since I,ve always wanted deep inside to take something traditional for striking that
it was just has wrong of me to say that all systems of TMA,s are **** has it is for these fraud instructors to lie because
then I would be just like them a liar. I looked at these WC,ers and saw that they where earnestly just trying to learn and
apply what they learned in a full contact setting. Noone can ask anything more than that. They where in the same boat has
me. So I come to you posters of martial talk asking for advice on where in the south florida area I might find a reputable
instructor of Wing chun that implements medium contact to full contact sparring in the curriculum. I,ve read up on wing
chun and agree with the philosiphy I really want to think that there is something to this and perhaps that I, if I do find
a school could contribute in a way to the WC community. I believe that all I need is a shove in the right direction and
that this would be the place to find it. Thank you in advance.
-Rain

Rain, as someone that's come from Karate and kickboxing backgroud and dabbled in grappling and MMA, trained JKD Concepts for spell, I can save you some trouble. Do not expect Wing Chun to make any sense for at the least, about one year. Wing Chun has curriculum in sensitivity unlike any other martial art or martial sport around. They do thing far different, from your stances and movement, to the basic way you might be used to punching....and well beyond. Expect to be frustrated and maybe even bored with it because the concepts of the art are entirely different than what you have seen at American Top Team and TSD. I will tell you this though as I have found for myself, once you start to begin understanding Wing Chun, the concepts of the art will make any art you have done better. Stick with it. It will pay off and it will especially aid you in your ground game, speciffically punching power from your back/guard or side mount.

Also, on a side note, if you see Thiago Alves, tell him to START CUTTING WEIGHT EARLIER OR MOVE UP TO MIDDLEWEIGHT!!!! JEEEZUS that guy is just plain too big for Welterweight and tired of him messing up fights because he shows up 600 lbs. over! :BSmeter:

IrishMonk

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Rain, as someone that's come from Karate and kickboxing backgroud and dabbled in grappling and MMA, trained JKD Concepts for spell, I can save you some trouble. Do not expect Wing Chun to make any sense for at the least, about one year. Wing Chun has curriculum in sensitivity unlike any other martial art or martial sport around. They do thing far different, from your stances and movement, to the basic way you might be used to punching....and well beyond. Expect to be frustrated and maybe even bored with it because the concepts of the art are entirely different than what you have seen at American Top Team and TSD.

Absolutely correct...

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm trying to demonstrate that lineages are different in what they practice. Joy said it doesn't matter as long as they are good teachers. That's not necessarily good advice.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Geez- that is not what I said. The point was that a lineage does not guarantee that everyone in a lineage is good or that he(or she) is a good teacher.
But no worries- I don't plan to argue with cofferox.

joy chaudhuri
www.tempewingchun.com

Nabakatsu

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:

IrishMonk

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:
OP
R

Rain

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks nabakatsu. I was aware of sifu Emin and know that alot of people in the martial arts community hold him in high regard. I watched your videos and my only complaint was that the drills seemed a bit compliant. However Sifu Emin himself is athletic (something I admire in all martial artists.) and I,ve actually seen a student who trains with him beat a MMA guy in a full contact fight. However his student out weighed the MMA guy by about 30 pounds. I was originally on the side of the MMA guy and can aslo say that the MMA guy wasnt very skilled :p but thats not the WCs guys fault, he won fair in sqaure and used WC. I saw some of EBMAS anti grappling work well in that match. If you want too see it its Dr_tzun_tzu vs Sirc gong sau. Yes I,m a member of Bullshido has well :D I looked for videos of Sifu Emin sparring and only found chi sao could you please direct me to some sparring done by his students or himself?

OP
R

Rain

White Belt
Reaction score
Also The ebmas school directory is not functioning on the site. So still the only WC school near me is the "Authentic Wing Chun Academy" Of course I,m always being too harsh on websites and maybe even to suspicous but thats the only school close enough to me for now. At least to my knowledege my google-fu doesnt seem to show any Ebmas near me eithier.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Also The ebmas school directory is not functioning on the site...

Yeah, their whole site is down. What's up with that? Alex, the EBMAS secretary goes on vacation and then this happens! I imagine they'll get it fixed soon, but I need more info on the Emin Boztepe/Rene Latosa seminar now. Grumble... grumble...

Poor Uke

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hi Rain,

I think from a BJJ perspective you will learn alot from Chi Sau, like ways to gain dominant arm position etc.. Also there are some obvious conceptual cross overs that you will pick up on quickly (relaxation versus tension, that kinda thing). Good luck I hope you find a decent school, as there is sooo much crap out there.

Uke

Latest Discussions