Hello

J

Jesse2375

Hello everyone, I am new to the site and thought i would introduce myself. My name is Jesse, I am 18 and am looking into martial arts. I would like to start for many reasons, I would like to do it for sport, a hobby, and most importantly being in the best shape i can be is very important to me. I would also like to start boxing eventually, but this is more important to me. I currently dont have a style I am going to learn, which is one reason I came to this site. I'm having some trouble deciding on what to do, so I thought someone might be able to help me. I'm more interested in strength and speed, and more so with my upper body. If anyone knows of anything it would be very helpful, also, I live near Rochester and Buffalo NY if there are any others out there.

Jesse

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hi, Jesse and welcome to MT!

Man, are there ever some folk on here that can help you, especially in the area you're in :)

If you need any help, lemme know.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hi Jesse :)

Welcome to Martial Talk and congratulations on your beginning exploration of the martial arts. You will receive alot of friendly and helpful replies so please feel free to ask as many questions as necessary. If you see something you can help out with somewhere don't hesitate to jump in and contribute. We all have to start somewhere. Good luck on your search. :asian:

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum Jesse! Enjoy your stay!

What type of Martial Arts are you looking at? What is in your area? My suggestion is to write up a list of whats around you that you're interested in. Once you have this list, go and visit each school, watch or take a class, talk to the students and instructor. After you've done this, narrow down your choices a bit more. Go back to the school(s) a 2nd time and make your choice from there.

Mike

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Jesse2375 said:
Hello everyone, I am new to the site and thought i would introduce myself. My name is Jesse, I am 18 and am looking into martial arts. I would like to start for many reasons, I would like to do it for sport, a hobby, and most importantly being in the best shape i can be is very important to me. I would also like to start boxing eventually, but this is more important to me. I currently dont have a style I am going to learn, which is one reason I came to this site. I'm having some trouble deciding on what to do, so I thought someone might be able to help me. I'm more interested in strength and speed, and more so with my upper body. If anyone knows of anything it would be very helpful, also, I live near Rochester and Buffalo NY if there are any others out there.

Jesse
hello Jesse..
i hope you enjoy ur stay at MT
hmm.. just dont mention ur doing MA as a hobby
haha let's keep it a secret

welcome again

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm from Buffalo originally (Cheektowaga). This board's owner lives in Buffalo! I train in arnis with Tim Hartman of West Seneca when I'm in town. If you're near enough to him, check him out--he can and will give you advice on other schools in the area too. Arnis uses a lot of stick and knife work but also empty hand, so you certainly use your upper body a lot! It mixes well with boxing.

I know that Rochester has Isshin-ryu Karate. Marty Noel's school has some nice Japanese martial arts programs, and he's a great guy. There's Brazilian Jiu-Jutsu in town too.

If being in shape is important, a grappling or (kick)boxing system may be a good idea. Also look at Jeet Kune Do. I know there's a Buffalo-area instructor of it because he used to teach at Mr. Hartman's school.

We have several MartialTalk members from those two cities, some of whom teach! You came to the right place. Also check out this affiliated site for an extensive list of area schools:
http://wnymartialarts.com/

The picture in the upper left at that site is me (on the right) with the owner of MartialTalk, Bob Hubbard, on the left.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Telling others you're doing MA as a hobby is fine for now...we all know that you'll soon be calling it an addiction like all the rest of us. Good luck in your search for an art. There are tons to choose from.

Gin-Gin

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MJS said:
Welcome to the forum Jesse! Enjoy your stay!

What type of Martial Arts are you looking at? What is in your area? My suggestion is to write up a list of whats around you that you're interested in. Once you have this list, go and visit each school, watch or take a class, talk to the students and instructor. After you've done this, narrow down your choices a bit more. Go back to the school(s) a 2nd time and make your choice from there. Mike
Good advice! :)

Welcome, Jesse! :wavey:

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome Jessie the best advise has already been given to you from some great individuals, check out the schools and when it feels right it is.
Terry

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Welcome ....you will find starting in Judo is a good way to start before moving on to other arts. Why? Judo is very basic and you will learn how to fall and give throws. Very Hands on experience. In fact you will find that is all you need to learn,(Watch me get blasted for saying this)

My son is learning Judo from a very well known Judo expert who has train in Japan and parts of the USA, was a coach for the girls Olympic team at one time. There is the sport side of Judo and I seem him teach the other side of it too. I didn't know Judo can be so aggressive.

These are my thoughts and I do not train in Judo, I do watch my son train and have attend many of his classes.

I will one day train when there is a Judo school nearby.........Aloha

Latest Discussions