Hello from the UK

The Karate of Shotokan is my first choice. It seems more trustworthy for some reason. Each class is a fiver. The location is a five minute walk away. They teach two classes each week. I have made contact and will try a class tomorrow evening.
Five quid is very good. Well done!

Make sure you go to your first class with your left trouser leg rolled up to your knee and a mango for your new teacher. It the Japanese tradition 😑
 
Hello everybody. New to martial arts. Trying to get fit after 50. Hope to learn more and find a simple MA to study. Any suggestions?
You're from the UK. If you were in the USA I could help you more but Im not sure just how common the martial arts is in the UK and if there's much of a variety of the martial arts in the UK. No doubt they've got the basic Judo and Karate and Taekwondo over there so you could try styles such as those and find one that you like the best.

If you want my advice there's three criteria for determining if a martial art is for you, number one, is the school close enough that you can go there on a regular basis? Number two, can you afford the lessons? Number three, do you enjoy the art, do you enjoy what you're learning in the classes? Those are the three things you should ask yourself when determining a proper dojo to go to.
 
The Shotokan club I have been to is on summer vacation for the next six weeks. There are some other MA clubs nearby. It will be fun to try some other martial arts over the next six weeks. FMA personal sessions begin next week. Still lots to learn but getting stronger and improving my flexibility.
 
I think this aphorism is borrowed from theological circles where all religions are said to be different paths to the same spiritual summit. It might be a good fit for Abrahamic religions (but not so much for Eastern religions) but with regards martial arts, I don’t think it applies very well. Tai Chi is so different to Karate which is so different to Aikido which is so different to Wing Chun etc…

It's not a good fit for the 'Abrahamic' religions as despite what people think they aren't at all alike.
 
You're from the UK. If you were in the USA I could help you more but Im not sure just how common the martial arts is in the UK and if there's much of a variety of the martial arts in the UK. No doubt they've got the basic Judo and Karate and Taekwondo over there so you could try styles such as those and find one that you like the best.

If you want my advice there's three criteria for determining if a martial art is for you, number one, is the school close enough that you can go there on a regular basis? Number two, can you afford the lessons? Number three, do you enjoy the art, do you enjoy what you're learning in the classes? Those are the three things you should ask yourself when determining a proper dojo to go to.

We have a very large choice of martial arts here in the UK, don't patronise us.
 
He does have a point about doing whatever's available though- my approach to martial arts training is much the same as my approach to my sexuality. I get what I can where I can.
 
We have a very large choice of martial arts here in the UK, don't patronise us.
Well I wouldn't know as I don't live there. In the USA you will find most martial arts from most cultures if you do your research although I don't know how it is over there.
 
Hello everybody. New to martial arts. Trying to get fit after 50. Hope to learn more and find a simple MA to study. Any suggestions?
Welcome to MT, from another person from the UK :)

TBH, I would say, check out what is in your local area and give them all a try, IMO, it's not just about the art itself, but the instructor (and how they teach), the other students, and the environment plays a big part in your experience.
 
Back
Top