Hello from the Rocky Mts

DavyKOTWF

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hello, ni hao. I'm very new to Wing Chun; I've had 1 official lesson so far. :cool:
My sifu is 4 generations down from Ip Man. My other sifu is from that secret Red Boat line
he was trying to tell me about - something about hidden operas on the Pearl River.
Wish I'd known and been able to participate in WC when I was in my teens...it just wasn't available. The closest I got to martial arts, was when I was age 26 in Ky. We were this new Black Belt's first class in TaiKwanDo. After 3 months, and collecting our day 1 dues of the new month, he packed up, and secretly left the state to go to Florida, while taking the cutest girl in class with him. Guess he wasn't making much money. He did have about 25 of us students. The next day we showed up at the dojo and it was an empty building with a sign saying, 'for rent'. That was the end of my martial arts career. I went out and bought a 44 magnum.
So here I am, well into my 64th year, very excited about Wing Chun. It has all the elements I believe in, physical as well as mental and attitude.
If you're ever in the Cripple Creek area of Colorado, give me a buzz...I've just completed building a small outdoor Ip Man Saloon with bar, cold libation floating in the small creek in front, heavy bag, Aspen Wooden Man and Rattan ring. You can drop in and check it out.
Hello all! :happy:

OP
DavyKOTWF

DavyKOTWF

Orange Belt
Reaction score
...some fellow WC'er from Seattle (how cool is that, to have a school in Seattle where Ip Man's most famous student hung out) wanted to know more about me...so you asked for it. :D Right now I'm obsessed with Wing Chun. I've been to China several times and love the people, their culture. In the past 48 hours, I've watched Ip Man 1,2 and 3 and Final chapter is on the way, via Amzn. Also just watched Birth of the Dragon. Yes, I've got plenty of time on my hands. I'm reading the most accurate and latest book on Bruce Lee by Matthew Polly, diving into the WC Compendium and also reading The Tao of Wing Chun. Yes, they all arrived the same day, one by kindle edition. Also have learned, BTGOG*, most of Siu Nim Tao in these two days, some by watching GM Ip Chun. I've gone Wing Chun mad.
A few years ago, I was standing on the Great Wall of China and it felt like a dream. One little Chinese man came UP ON THE WALL with his little donkey, who carried his wares and goods he was selling. He even carried a little ice chest selling Coca Cola for us foreign devils. He sold the Coke too cheap I thought. It was just a dollar. I bought it and a few more little trinkets, wanting to help him out. He was the friendliest, most gentle little man. I should have given him more. But he is probably what Ip Man was like. Trying to learn some Chinese, I tried to tell an old lady her dress was 'mei li' which means beautiful. She understood and was so pleased. This was back in Beijing in a poorer part of town. She then motioned me to come in to her little cottage, with concrete floors, 1950's little table and chairs. She wanted to share her meager bowl of rice with me. The Chinese people are indeed so mei li. They think of everyone as one; you are them. When I feed/help you, I am merely helping myself. I'd rather be around them than most Americans. We're so spoiled. Wing Chun is so fascinating! on several different levels.
*by the grace of God

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
...some fellow WC'er from Seattle (how cool is that, to have a school in Seattle where Ip Man's most famous student hung out) wanted to know more about me...so you asked for it. :D Right now I'm obsessed with Wing Chun. I've been to China several times and love the people, their culture. In the past 48 hours, I've watched Ip Man 1,2 and 3 and Final chapter is on the way, via Amzn. Also just watched Birth of the Dragon. Yes, I've got plenty of time on my hands. I'm reading the most accurate and latest book on Bruce Lee by Matthew Polly, diving into the WC Compendium and also reading The Tao of Wing Chun. Yes, they all arrived the same day, one by kindle edition. Also have learned, BTGOG*, most of Siu Nim Tao in these two days, some by watching GM Ip Chun. I've gone Wing Chun mad.
A few years ago, I was standing on the Great Wall of China and it felt like a dream. One little Chinese man came UP ON THE WALL with his little donkey, who carried his wares and goods he was selling. He even carried a little ice chest selling Coca Cola for us foreign devils. He sold the Coke too cheap I thought. It was just a dollar. I bought it and a few more little trinkets, wanting to help him out. He was the friendliest, most gentle little man. I should have given him more. But he is probably what Ip Man was like. Trying to learn some Chinese, I tried to tell an old lady her dress was 'mei li' which means beautiful. She understood and was so pleased. This was back in Beijing in a poorer part of town. She then motioned me to come in to her little cottage, with concrete floors, 1950's little table and chairs. She wanted to share her meager bowl of rice with me. The Chinese people are indeed so mei li. They think of everyone as one; you are them. When I feed/help you, I am merely helping myself. I'd rather be around them than most Americans. We're so spoiled. Wing Chun is so fascinating! on several different levels.
*by the grace of God

As a guy with 20+ years doing WC, I understand your enthusiasm, but its best to keep a grain of salt on your tongue. WC in practice looks nothing like anything you'll see in an IP Man movie. Classical Wing Chun has been shown over and over to be less than ideal for real world altercations. There are WC variations and hybrids that are very good for that, but they look very little like what youll get in the three solo forms, the wooden man sets or chi sau.(I would still recommend doing all three of these things mind you, but more for building muscle memory and structure)

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hello, ni hao. I'm very new to Wing Chun; I've had 1 official lesson so far. :cool:
My sifu is 4 generations down from Ip Man. My other sifu is from that secret Red Boat line
he was trying to tell me about - something about hidden operas on the Pearl River.
Wish I'd known and been able to participate in WC when I was in my teens...it just wasn't available. The closest I got to martial arts, was when I was age 26 in Ky. We were this new Black Belt's first class in TaiKwanDo. After 3 months, and collecting our day 1 dues of the new month, he packed up, and secretly left the state to go to Florida, while taking the cutest girl in class with him. Guess he wasn't making much money. He did have about 25 of us students. The next day we showed up at the dojo and it was an empty building with a sign saying, 'for rent'. That was the end of my martial arts career. I went out and bought a 44 magnum.
So here I am, well into my 64th year, very excited about Wing Chun. It has all the elements I believe in, physical as well as mental and attitude.
If you're ever in the Cripple Creek area of Colorado, give me a buzz...I've just completed building a small outdoor Ip Man Saloon with bar, cold libation floating in the small creek in front, heavy bag, Aspen Wooden Man and Rattan ring. You can drop in and check it out.
Welcome and fantastic job of starting later in life. Best of luck and work as hard as your body allows. Keep us in the loop.

OP
DavyKOTWF

DavyKOTWF

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Thanks all. Yeah, I've already figured that most of that in the Ip Man movies, is mostly Hollywood. I doubt Ip Man took that much of a beating in the boxing scene, and it probably never happened anyway - just more Hollywood. That just re-did Rocky I.
But I can see that someone learning WC for a year, practicing 2 hours a day, could stop a fight quickly, if it got that far. Block and hit at the same time, then do the 180 technique...run like h___. Thanks Mr Cochran, I've got my wooden man Aleve in my back pocket.

OP
DavyKOTWF

DavyKOTWF

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Thanks again all. Here are a few photos of my Ip Man outdoor wilderness camp in the Rocky Mts. That 2nd one is the Ip Man Saloon...zoom in for prices. :)
The first, I call the Aspen Tree Wooden Man...cost me zip to build...hope it holds up. :cigar: Don't have a wall bag, but hung this 70lb punching bag up to practice kicks, 1" punch, and palm strikes. Two red tail hawks flew over me as I was hanging it, they screeeed, showing their approval. I put up a trail camera to see what goes on at night and to catch maybe bears, coyotes and wild cats...hoping they make themselves at home at the Ip Man Saloon. :woot:

Attachments

• IMG_4736.JPG
    IMG_4736.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 192
  • IMG_4735.JPG
    IMG_4735.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 178
  • IMG_4685.JPG
    IMG_4685.JPG
    620.2 KB · Views: 176

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Annyeonghaseyo and welcome to the forum.

Latest Discussions