Height for Spinning Kicks

danielle

White Belt
Reaction score
540 hook kick and 540 roundhouse. How does one get the height for those kicks? I've got the 540 roundhouse, but it's too low; about my knee level. As for the 540 hook; Oh man, it's so low, a mouse should be holding the pad.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
You get the height by more practice. And by jumping. Lots. Then jump some more.
There was a gizmo we used in HS for basketball. It was basically two bars that sat on your shoulders and provided resistance to your jumps. Like jumping with weights, but without increasing the impact on landing.

Drose427

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Squats will help build the muscle to push off and get more height. But make sure you're doing them probably and not overdoing it. Nothing slows down training like a hernia

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

I did capoeira for a bit and had a vague idea that i would be agile. Anyway.

Acrobatics is acrobatics. They have specific body movements that get you into the position you wan. So you just progressively drill that.

Squats,jump squats box jumps and other polymeric traing will only help.

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
The key to more height is using your arms and non-kicking knee to assist your jump and your rotation.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I don't believe in Youtube tutorials for skills like the 540 kicks. There are too many self taught trickers with bad and potentially harmful habits.

I'd find a high ranking instructor who can do it and start asking these questions.

Key points for me are:

For Taekwondo this kick should be thrown out of a fighting stance.

Achieving height is more about timing than strength. The timing of the jump, the arm swing and the first lifted knee are all important.

If your basics and prerequisite kicking skills are good, these kicks are not that hard. Practice getting height the preresquisite kicks... try the turn dollyo (which people online seem to call tornado) with a really high momentum leg and jump, delaying the kick until peak height is reached. Do the same with step bandae dollyo, throwing the momentum leg and jumping as high as possible into the kick. Experiment with the timing of the momentum leg, the jump and the kick to maximise height.

Experiment with how far you can turn whilst still on the ground before pushing off. An easy way to get extra spin degrees.

Experiment with the interaction between upper and lower body in each phase of the kick.

Above all, stick the landings as gently as possible if you value your knees.

The_Awesome_User

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I think it helps to have an outdoor trampoline and to practice those types of moves on it. You can get all the height you want while still giving your jump muscles a workout, if you fall (unless you land on your neck or something) you will be fine, and it's not as hard on your knees.

Orange Lightning

Purple Belt
Reaction score

I did capoeira for a bit and had a vague idea that i would be agile. Anyway.

Acrobatics is acrobatics. They have specific body movements that get you into the position you wan. So you just progressively drill that.

Squats,jump squats box jumps and other polymeric traing will only help.

Do you feel that capoeira augmented your agility?

Latest Discussions