health question

drummingman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
im going to be starting karate in about 4-6 weeks from now. my left knee is somewhat messed up. about 4 years ago i slipped on some ice and jammed my knee. so now when i squat and walk up and down steps it feels like someone is jabbing a knife in my knee. this really hurts and i dont want to let it mess up my martial art study.
so my questions are, are there any good knee braces that are good for this type of knee injury? are there any good exercises that can help my knee to get better (as is im doing an exercise that my old physical therapist gave me of standing against a door and doing squats to build up my leg muscles). and, does anyone have any other advice that can help me with this?
thanks a lot everybody!!

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
GO SEE A DOCTOR!

In the meantime... if it hurts, don't do it.

OP
drummingman

drummingman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
i hope to go see an ortho doc this coming week.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
i hope to go see an ortho doc this coming week.

That's good. In addition to medical treatment, you can take a glucosamine/chondroitin supplement, but make sure you use a good brand. I like NSI brand from vitacost.com.

You won't see overnight results, it takes at least 30 days to build in the system and is best when taken daily for the long haul. I have taken this supplement for my knees for years, if I don't take it for a while my knees start hurting again when I train.

Glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate are substances found naturally in the body. Glucosamine is a form of amino sugar that is believed to play a role in cartilage formation and repair. Chondroitin sulfate is part of a large protein molecule (proteoglycan) that gives cartilage elasticity.

Let us know how your appointment goes.

OP
drummingman

drummingman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
i just started taking triflex about a week ago. it has glucosamine, chondroitin and msm in it (reading your post reminded me to take it today, so thanks!).
i will let you all know what the doc says.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
i just started taking triflex about a week ago. it has glucosamine, chondroitin and msm in it (reading your post reminded me to take it today, so thanks!).
i will let you all know what the doc says.

That's good. MSM is also excellent for connective tissue. I'm not familiar with triflex, but it should be in capsule form, not tablet, for better results. Good luck and keep us posted. :)

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
im going to be starting karate in about 4-6 weeks from now. my left knee is somewhat messed up. about 4 years ago i slipped on some ice and jammed my knee. so now when i squat and walk up and down steps it feels like someone is jabbing a knife in my knee. this really hurts and i dont want to let it mess up my martial art study.
so my questions are, are there any good knee braces that are good for this type of knee injury? are there any good exercises that can help my knee to get better (as is im doing an exercise that my old physical therapist gave me of standing against a door and doing squats to build up my leg muscles). and, does anyone have any other advice that can help me with this?
thanks a lot everybody!!

When you hurt your knee before, did you ever get it looked at? If so, what was the outcome? If not, its possible the pain you're feeling is due to an injury that didn't heal right.

As the others have said, I'd see a doctor. You may end up needing an operation, but if it cures the problem its worth it.

Good luck! :)

Mike

OP
drummingman

drummingman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
i had my knee looked ay a few years back. i think the doc told me that i smashed the cartilage when i jamed my knee. he sent me to physical therapy. that never really fixed the problem.

OP
drummingman

drummingman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
i have an apointment set up for this friday to see the ortho doc.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
i have an apointment set up for this friday to see the ortho doc.

Very good. It's always a pain to have to go to the doc, but sometimes we just have to bite the bullet and do it. It's best you have this looked at.

OP
drummingman

drummingman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
im really hoping to start taking usa goju karate but im also looking into what styles are more hand based if my knee is going to be a problem. the usa goju karate may fall into this, or may not, or maybe the teacher will work with me with my limitations, if the knee is gonna be one.

OP
drummingman

drummingman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
im going too, im just making conversation and getting peoples opinions. thats what this fourm is for right?

OP
drummingman

drummingman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
i went and saw the doc today. he told me that the cartilage that is wrapped around my knee bone is messed up. he gave me a prescription for physical therapy. after about 6 weeks of PT he wants to see me back.
we talked about surgery and he told me that if they do surgery that i have a good chance of recovery but the problem could still come back.
he told me that doing a martial art with kicking and squating downing would aggravate the injury. he told me that i could do a hand based style and that should be fine.
like i said before, im looking at usa goju karate and wing chun kung fu. considering what the doctor said what style do you think would be best for me to take?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
i went and saw the doc today. he told me that the cartilage that is wrapped around my knee bone is messed up. he gave me a prescription for physical therapy. after about 6 weeks of PT he wants to see me back.
we talked about surgery and he told me that if they do surgery that i have a good chance of recovery but the problem could still come back.
he told me that doing a martial art with kicking and squating downing would aggravate the injury. he told me that i could do a hand based style and that should be fine.
like i said before, im looking at usa goju karate and wing chun kung fu. considering what the doctor said what style do you think would be best for me to take?

Wing Chun has a different type of stance that may or may not aggravate your knee problem but it has, or at least from my VERY limited experience, no high kicks

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I imagine squatting in a horse stance would cause problems if you can not squat and perfoming kicks cause problems so I see Goju may be difficult.
Wing chun on the other hand should be lest stress on the knee.
There are 2 other choices to consider 1. seeing if there is another art such as boxing or jujutsu or what have you were the majority of training may not place pain on the knee. 2. Explain to the teacher you are studying with your situation and see if he can help you with your needs so you don't have to do exercises that cause more damage to your knee.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Glad you got to the doc for some answers. Good luck with whatever treatment route you choose. As far as training, XS and JA had good suggestions. Whatever you choose to train, and whatever treatment you have, make sure your instructor knows of your knee problem. :asian:

OP
drummingman

drummingman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
thanks everybody for your thoughts and posts! ill drop in this thread with updates when i start the therapy for my knee.