Health Nazi's

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Growing up on a council estate is not like growing up in the 'projects', coiuncil housing is a common way to rent housing here, most estates are not slums but vey respectable, the one McKeith grew up in certainly was, it's in Perth Scotland, a very genteel place. At the time she'd have been living in a council house it was very respectable, working class and a good deal of the country lived in them These days most council houses have been sold and the estates are quite posh. There are bad estates around in the big cities (of which Perth is not). McKeith's background is working class, that doesn't make her poor or ignorant and certainly not ill fed.

Switzerland isn't a good example of a democracy, try Iceland.

OP
Sukerkin

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I grew up on a council estate and look how I turned out ... hmmm, maybe that's not such a good example :lol:.

What Tez noted above is true, particular of the time period we are talking about. Things are not so good these days as the selling off of the housing stock has meant that councils have concentrated their 'bad apples' and turned some estates into terrible places.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I grew up on a council estate and look how I turned out ... hmmm, maybe that's not such a good example :lol:.

What Tez noted above is true, particular of the time period we are talking about. Things are not so good these days as the selling off of the housing stock has meant that councils have concentrated their 'bad apples' and turned some estates into terrible places.

Again the Tories...so much to answer for. Those estates could be good but the government caps the amount of money that councils cane spend on them. Little or no repairs are made, no effort made to improve the area and therefore the life of the tenants who of course then behave as they are treated, feral. Thatcher believed everybody should own their own home and look at the mess that led to.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Growing up on a council estate is not like growing up in the 'projects', coiuncil housing is a common way to rent housing here, most estates are not slums but vey respectable, the one McKeith grew up in certainly was, it's in Perth Scotland, a very genteel place. At the time she'd have been living in a council house it was very respectable, working class and a good deal of the country lived in them These days most council houses have been sold and the estates are quite posh. There are bad estates around in the big cities (of which Perth is not). McKeith's background is working class, that doesn't make her poor or ignorant and certainly not ill fed.

All of which could have described the projects, when they were first built-or even when I was a child in Manhattan-while we didn't live in the projects, quite a few of my Dad's parishioners on the Lower East Side did, so I had a few occasional visits to them in the 60's. Both, I imagine, contrast quite sharply to the luxury-and presumptive better quality health care and diet-that Ms. Lawson was raised with. By Ms. McKeith's own admission:

McKeith was born in Perth, Scotland, and grew up on a council estate.[SUP][2][/SUP] Her father, Robert, was a shipyard worker and her mother an office worker. She has said that she was raised eating the junk food she now advises against: "We all know the kind of food I grew up with—a typical Scottish diet. We'd have meat three times a day. I certainly never ate a mango, and had no idea what macrobiotic meant."

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All of which could have described the projects, when they were first built-or even when I was a child in Manhattan-while we didn't live in the projects, quite a few of my Dad's parishioners on the Lower East Side did, so I had a few occasional visits to them in the 60's. Both, I imagine, contrast quite sharply to the luxury-and presumptive better quality health care and diet-that Ms. Lawson was raised with. By Ms. McKeith's own admission:

At the time she was groing up everyone in Scotland ate that, rich and poor. I'm sorry her 'council house' upbringing is no excuse for anything, meat three times a day may be a sign of a bad diet but it's also the diet of a fairly well off family. Junk food for the poor doesn't consist of meat!

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
I will be a grammar Nazi put my hands on my hips and say - why is there an apostrophe in the word Nazi's in the thread title? Hmm?? ihre papiere, bitte! show me your papers! where are your papers!! You are Englische???

I was gonna bring it up but someone called me a Nazi in another thread before for pointing out punctuation.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
As to Mayor Bloomberg not wanting to drink soda, here he is in support of national donut day...

http://hotair.com/archives/2012/06/...ont-hurt-you-but-17-ounces-of-coca-cola-will/

Not only is it just plain dumb, but the gyrations associated with his proposed ban on soft drinks make you dizzy. He wants to ban sugary drinks over 32 ounces but you can order a milk shake that contains far more sugar, or a Latte that has more sugar and so on.

This is why I say, I can't wait till guys like mayor bloomberg are making our healthcare decisions for us in 2014.

Isn't Bloomberg a Republican? :lol:

Latest Discussions