Having a tough time with getting hit. Advice?

swiftpete

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I was thinking about this tonight while training actually. I'm on the way towards black belt now as my instructor keeps telling me and so I'm getting demo'd on a lot and really getting whacked a fair bit.
In fact just looking down at the bruises from the night can tell you the story!
Anyway when i started training a few years ago i was always told to relax and how it helps to absorb the punishment and now i can see it's completely true. One of the lads in the class is black belt and has trained for about 15 yrs, he's like a rubberman as he just seems to take anything and still get up. One of the other black belts says he actually gets tired hiting him but still can't seem to hurt him! He has been a demo dummy for a long time though. In contrast a new guy joined a few months ago and he is very tense when he's training and it takes far less of a blow or any technique really to actually hurt him than the others who i know relax while training.
I think it's often the shock of the pain that initially gets to you, when you chill out a bit you can often get hit hard, be in a lot of pain and sort of shake it off if you know it hasn't caused any permanent damage.
I'm not claiming to be an expert on this as I only have a few yrs training under my belt, not as many as some here, but basically what I'm saying is relax as much as poss and you'll find it easier! Good luck

swiftpete

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Sorry, but just thought I'd add this to clarify, that wasn't really aimed at you lenatoi, more at lady kaur really..

Hey lenatoi maybe you're just getting hit better nowadays so it just hurts a whole lot more? I know it doesn't take much of a difference in a technique to produce a whole lot more pain. As in, if it's done bang on or not quite spot on.

lenatoi

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'm not saying I have a problem with getting roughed up a bit, I was just trying to understand why being hit seems to have a more painfull effect now than it used to. I don't know, mabe I am tensing up more when I see a hit coming because I "know" it will hurt.

It is possible that people I'm working with just got better over the years. It's funny to think about it though, because most of them were black belts then too.

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks, SwiftPete. It could very well be that am not as relaxed as I am, and thinking more about...how far I am from the wall, for example. I hope to have a chance to chat with my instructor in a few days...this is all great stuff to bring up in conversation :)

Lenatoi...does fatigue/tiredness make a difference with you? I know it does with me. :idunno:

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
lenatoi said:
I'm not saying I have a problem with getting roughed up a bit, I was just trying to understand why being hit seems to have a more painfull effect now than it used to. I don't know, mabe I am tensing up more when I see a hit coming because I "know" it will hurt.

It is possible that people I'm working with just got better over the years. It's funny to think about it though, because most of them were black belts then too.

I was just poking fun a bit, I didn't mean it it to belittle you. Sorry if it came off that way. But, Yes, your mind set plays a big role in it, like anything else. Sometimes a cake is just a cake, and , maybe your just not into getting hit anymore.

eyebeams

Purple Belt
Reaction score
All the waxing spiritual aside, there is a technical component to withstanding blows. It can be divided into four components:

1) Stability/Mobility
2) Compactness
3) Breath
4) Muscular coordination.

Describing it all:

1) Stability is a good, relaxed stance that allows movement within its frame. This means you can shift back and forth while styaing relaxed as well as making minor adjustments. It shifting requires effort the stance is deficient and not stable. You might be too low or improperly aligned. Mobility is the ability to take a relaxed position you prefer. In the context of taking a shot, stability spreads out the impact of a blow through your entire structure, while mobility gives you a better angle and distance to recieve blows with.

2) Compactness means that your take a posture where the supporting structures of your body have an optimal relationship to one another. This is generally one where you keep your arms close to your body your spine straight, your shoulders low and your chin slightly tucked. Standing "proud," head high, arms out, is a bad idea because, among other things, your natural range of motion is closer to its limits. As a result, any movement (such as from a blow) will it the end of the range and transfer momentum to the resut of your body. Overextension keeps the energy from being transferred elsewhere and throws you off balance.

Compactness also applies to holding pads. You need to a shield as close to you as possible. You should make sure your elbows are bent and tucked when using focus mitts and thai pads.

3) Breath means that you endeavour to be struck (if you must) as you exhale (there are exceptions, but talking about them screws people up). The rules are similar to the ones for breakfalling. The exhalation provides a natural cushion. If you are struck while inhaling, you might get the wind knocked out of you. Finally, the most vulnerable point at which to be struck is while one's lungs are empty.

4) Muscular coordination can be seen as tensing with the strike, but this is not really the whole of it. Tension often implies a single point of concentration or muscular leverage. What you want your muscles to do is to react in an "alive" manner in response to an attack. This means that you supplement increased tone with some slight, natural movement when receiving the blow. For example, when you're taking a shot to the belly, your exhalation should create part of the tension. You increase the tone only slightly while letting the abdominal action naturally sink and move you.

These are skills that are in everyon's interest to develop. It is possible to take them in extreme, showy directions, but this isn't necessary for most people.

lenatoi

Green Belt
Reaction score
"...does fatigue/tiredness make a difference with you? I know it does with me. "

My answer to this question would be no. I havn't found fatigue to be a factor.

lenatoi

Green Belt
Reaction score
I like the "cake is just a cake" bit, that is probably the BIG factor.

Ross

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hi,

It was interesting to read your post, and reflects what a lot of smaller students think but may not voice.

It sounds like a nasty experience you had but don't be put off. Take it as a learning experience, if you were on the street and someone hit you like that - you can take it! You may need to take a few steps back to catch your balance but you didnt fall over!

Have a word with your instructor about this. I remember my first instructor announcing during the middle of sparring sessions to someone who was bullying or overly aggressive to someone "XXXX if you can't calm it down you will be sparring with me". In my experience with people like that, they can dish it out, but cannot take it.

I'm not saying that the case with these boys, but....

Finally, don't give up! The fact that you are there training in a good environment is excellent. Face your fears. If you were going to be attacked in the street, do you think it would be by some small person? This is your chance to hit them harder

I have taught a lot of university students and of late two small girls (both only 5ft) who have been kicking *** and taking names and it is all down to their attitude in class.

Keep up the good work!

adictd2tkdgirl

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
What a great post! I think I feel the same way. For me it is simply the fact that I don't like the feeling of being knocked off balance or not being in control. Just last night, I was partnered up with another girl..although taller and heavier than me. In the past I have enjoyed our partnerships, but last night was a bit different. She became very competitive (I think more along the lines of trying to impress some of the males in the class) I was fine with this being that MA can be competitive. But she was going over board in that when we would do 'Knees' into the pad, she would grab the pad and knee it, but push at the same time. This was not the intention of the drill, to make it look like her kneeing was knocking me over, but the oooohs and ahhhs had her continuing to do it.

The thing that bugged me was she wouldn't do the drills correctly when it was my turn. For instance you were supposed to kick the pad then the person holding it would move back so you could do a chase step and then kick it again. She (in what seemed like) an attempt to make it look like I didn't know what I was doing..wouldn't move back. So I would compensate by doing a cross on the spot and then she would decide to move back.

Does anyone else find the women can be very competitive with one another? or with males for that matter?

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Great input, Additcted2TKDgirl!

You sound like you may be competitive in the best sense of the word. You are serious about what you do, you want to improve, and want to be around those that are as serious as improving at it as you are. And...that's what the arts is all about, isn't it?

There is a difference between being competitive and gratuitously showing off. There are some folks at my school that put a lot of pizazz in to what they do...and I'm cool with that, personally.

But the people that show off just to show off....that's not being a competitive...that is just being selfish.

A true competitor shows off following the rules, not by breaking them.

adictd2tkdgirl

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Carol Kaur said:
Great input, Additcted2TKDgirl!

You sound like you may be competitive in the best sense of the word. You are serious about what you do, you want to improve, and want to be around those that are as serious as improving at it as you are. And...that's what the arts is all about, isn't it?

There is a difference between being competitive and gratuitously showing off. There are some folks at my school that put a lot of pizazz in to what they do...and I'm cool with that, personally.

But the people that show off just to show off....that's not being a competitive...that is just being selfish.

A true competitor shows off following the rules, not by breaking them.

EXACTLY! It is interfering with my training because I am not able to perform the drills as they are supposed to be done..thus I feel I am not getting the full benefit from it. If it continues I will have to find a way to change partners.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Carol, have you had conversation with your instructor yet?

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We have started a conversation, it was a great start to a long discussion that is going to continue for some time. The bad hit I took scared him, too.

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It sure is the age of lawsuits and liability and all those sorts of problems. But, we built an immediate rapport with each other when I started training and having seen other students get injured or fall sick, I know he's the kind of teacher that genuinely cares about his students. I may be taking a short break from training for an unrelated matter so...the end of the conversation may have to wait for a bit.

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I did promise an update, and so here goes. Quite a bit has happened. :D

I've had a few talks with my instructor on this and related subjects.

After my "scary hit" happened, my instructor has made several changes to the class. Some were immediate, and others were gradual...but all of them seem to be in place now. The end result is that an environment that is resulting in a more even pairing of for drills.

The result of a different talk is...I don't think at its core it is the hit that is really bothering me...its the concern of being smashed in to the wall. Now with some unrelated changes to the class, there is more room for everyone to move around...and plenty of opportunities for me to stand a comfortable distance away from the nearest hard surface.

On a different note...

I've gained about 10 pounds. I think what I have gained is mostly muscle. My clothes don't fit any tighter and one of my training partners says I am hitting harder. When I do get hit, I feel a difference. I feel more like I did at my heavier weight...better able to absorb the blow.

It seems that I need to think more about body composition rather than body weight. While I still have some more weight (read: fat) to lose, I don't want to lose muscle tissue again in the process. I may have to pick Shirtripper's brain a bit :)

Thank you all for listening, and for lending a hand :asian:

Latest Discussions