Have you ever used a weapon?

Darth F.Takeda

Blue Belt
Reaction score
A Math boke to break a jerks nose in 5th grade again in 8th.
A Lock in my fist (only had to hit him twice, no more fight, good because I thought he was going to kick my ***.)
I have hit with a bottle and thrown them a few times.
I used a police baton once ( No I am not a cop, a 18 year old threatend my 11 year old brother, so made him feel like Rodney King.)
Broomstick.
An Astma inhailer
WD-40 to the face.

I have presented fireams, but did not have to shoot anyone, good outcome.

MaartenSFS

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The steel ball on the end of my baton is used when,
* a thrusting action is applied into a muscle,
* striking at a hand, wrist or kicking foot,
* pressure point locations.
:jedi1:

Actually, if you hold the baton like a rapier (Bend your wrist outwards, baton facing upwards - Not sure if this would work with the shorter models) and thrust you can get pretty accurate. I've been using it as a follow up, though I think that it is not superior to the "under the arm" stance because the latter requires less risk to apply.

1) Rapidly "draw" the baton and "cut" at one of six angles.
2) Step back (If only one enemy) and either thrust at him (Eyes, throat, solar plexus, groin)
or hold the baton so that the back end is facing your target and the extended end with the ball is facing behind you, going under your elbow and parallel to your forearm. From this stance you can whip it out in four different directions with great power and speed and it doesn't telegraph very well. It is best to have your baton custom made to be slightly shorter than the length of your arm.

There are many ways one can use telescopic batons. I highly recommend anyone that owns one to experiment. I've also been experimenting with different ways to strike and/or thrust on the draw. I have found that it is probably impossible to thrust on the draw (Unless you are an ogre), as it doesn't have the same snap as a strike to lock the segments into place. The general idea is that it all falls neatly into place, smoothly, efficiently, and requiring no extra strength. That steel ball, when whipped at any part of your enemy's anatomy, does quite some damage.

Another great thing is that when collapsed, the baton is like a somewhat big yawari.

Has anyone tried the 66 or 77cm models (26,30")?

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
The only time I've used a weapon was in a "mock fight". Luckily, I've never had to use one for real... I've practiced striking sensitive areas with an escrima stick, learned some arm bars, etc.

Bill Sempf

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Has anyone tried the 66 or 77cm models (26,30")?

I have a 30" baton, and it causes many off color jokes about length and size and the like. Most of the class has the larger (44"?) baton. Hey - I feel no need to show off. :wink2:

Anyway. The baton is the first REAL weapon we test on (metsubushi doesn't count) and we do the first 8 positions just liek a Kali hanbo, then the ninth position is a end strike. It is very cool. I feel more able to defend myself just practicing the kata.

I agree that the weapon is remarkably flexible. However, remember that is illegal to carry in a lot of the united states. Common weapon in the military though, I understand.

S

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just look at them, smile, and murmur something about "overcompensating" :p

MaartenSFS

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have a 30" baton, and it causes many off color jokes about length and size and the like. Most of the class has the larger (44"?) baton. Hey - I feel no need to show off. :wink2:

Anyway. The baton is the first REAL weapon we test on (metsubushi doesn't count) and we do the first 8 positions just liek a Kali hanbo, then the ninth position is a end strike. It is very cool. I feel more able to defend myself just practicing the kata.

I agree that the weapon is remarkably flexible. However, remember that is illegal to carry in a lot of the united states. Common weapon in the military though, I understand.

S

Are you talking about one of these?

http://www.2dao.cn/Shop/sg/casp/200604/88.html

I was not aware that they made 44" telescopic batons. Is the 30" as strong as the 22 or even 16? I heard that because they don't get heavier and thicker and the length increases, the structure becomes weaker and some have been broken on impact.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes to using a weapon. Can it ever go down well when you are in that situation?

Bill Sempf

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I was not aware that they made 44" telescopic batons.

That's because I have to get out my ruler.

Without measuring, what I was trying to say is that everyone in my class has a long baton and I have a short one. Mine is 16" fully extended. (Yes, I considered typing erect. Glad I didn't.) The handle section that it collapses into is only 6" long. It's very nice.

Most of the class has a much longer baton. 30" probably. (This is such an unusual conversation.) The handle is a foot long or a bit longer. AND it is THINNER. Very odd - but I bet it still can cause a lot of damage.

I think what makes it powerful is the technique. We use it as if it were a flexible weapon, and frankly I would hate to be on the business end of it. The long baton OR the short baton.

Sorry I was so unclear. The answer to your original question, then, is that most of my class has a longer (30") baton and though one guy did bend it so that it will no longer collapse, I thing he was hitting a concrete pole or something equally dumb. I prefer the short baton.

Just look at them, smile, and murmur something about "overcompensating"

Yup. I ask them if they drive a big SUV, and like that.

All in good fun.

S

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
The PR-24 made a certain amount of good sense for blocking and restraining. Of course, it would have helped if the dimwits in the Rodney King incident had actually read the manual that Monadnock supplies with them. On every single page it says "Do Not Hit Suspect in the Head".

Now that the snap-whip fad is firmly established I have to ask "Why have a baton at all?" It's more a symbol than anything else. It's deadly force but not really. It's nearly useless for restraining people. It's a relic from a day when a little extrajudicial punishment was considered acceptable and officers didn't carry high-capacity repeating firearms. With proper training a sap can be anything from gentle remonstrance to deadly force, and it's a lot more discreet and useful at close quarters.

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I ran over a guy once who had slit my throat with a box cutter. I was a cabbie in the South Bronx at the time, and he roobed me (2, I say TWO freaking dollars), slit my throat cutting my jugular clean open, and jumped out the of the back door behind me. I just backed up over him.....maybe 4 times. Until he 'broke', at any rate. I guess that counts. Other than that though....nope. Once was enough.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
I remember a workshop given by my wife's old JKD teacher. Part of it was about weapons. Rick asked everyone "What's your favorite weapon?" The answers went around the room until a retired diamond courier said "56 Chevy".

megat

Orange Belt
Reaction score
hmmm had use my belt once, lucky i was train in soft weapon, also use a wet towel, a battery, keys, swiss army knife a comic book( big mistake cuz i love that comic) , but no real weapon in real life. just improvise one

Latest Discussions