Hatsumi books, suggestions?

buyu

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
does anyone have any favorite technique books they can recomend on ninjutsu ive got stick fighting but im looking for stuff on taijutsu and not just hatsumi books itd be really appreciated thanks

OP
mrhnau

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, I finished Essence of Ninjutsu. I really enjoyed it! It was interesting getting a further glimpse into his philosophies. I really enjoyed the stories of Takamatsu that were included in each chapter. I wonder at the validity of some of the stories, to be honest. Regardless, it makes for an interesting read :) Enjoyed this MUCH more than Grandmasters Handbook of Ninja Training. I'd highly recommend it :) I'm honestly thinking of rereading it. Lots of good stuff condenced in a small space. One thing I was a bit disappointed about though. He included around 30 pages of technique, with about 3 pictures per technique. I guess I was not expecting that, and the explanations were not too great or thorough. I'd rather have 30 more pages of regular content :)

I skimmed through Stick Fighting. Sitting down and reading it is not going to be too useful. I need someone to "practice" on :) I think it has some great material, but until I've got someone willing to be a victim (or preferabely a good instructor that knows it already), its not going to be exceptionally enlightening. Having someone to work through it would be fantastic.

Now, considering my interests, is "History and Traditions" worth picking up?

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Now, considering my interests, is "History and Traditions" worth picking up?

Only if you keep in mind it was ghost written by SKH. I would suggest other books over that one.

Such as...

Advanced Stick fighting
Japanese Sword Fighting - Secrets of the Samurai
The Ways of the Ninja - Secret Techniques
The Grandmasters Book of Ninja Training

They all say they are authored by Masaaki Hatsumi but I am not sure about The Grandmasters Book of Ninja Training.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
They all seem to have technique pictures in them. The first 3 I mentioned have more stylized pictures (really cool looking). I believe they were meant to be more artistic. It is the written words that I was more intrigued by. Lots of good stuff in those books.

Monadnock

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Only if you keep in mind it was ghost written by SKH. I would suggest other books over that one.

Such as...

Advanced Stick fighting
Japanese Sword Fighting - Secrets of the Samurai
The Ways of the Ninja - Secret Techniques
The Grandmasters Book of Ninja Training

They all say they are authored by Masaaki Hatsumi but I am not sure about The Grandmasters Book of Ninja Training.

That book got a scathing review in the Journal or Asian Martial Arts the other month. I've leafed through it at the bookstore and it seemed to follow the style of books that has been coming out lately from Hatsumi, which I kind of like, but apparently someone else did not.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That book got a scathing review in the Journal or Asian Martial Arts the other month. I've leafed through it at the bookstore and it seemed to follow the style of books that has been coming out lately from Hatsumi, which I kind of like, but apparently someone else did not.

For me the review would hold more water if it were people in the Bujinkan Community giving the scathing review. I don't believe the Journal of Asian Martial Arts falls into that category. In my opinion they are outsiders looking in through the window.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Japanese Sword Fighting - Secrets of the Samurai is simply an awesome
book.
icon14.gif

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
TOGAKURE RYU NINPO TAIJUTSU

Available at WWW.Ninjutsu.com, Hatsumi wrote the book in Japanese and this is the translated version that also includes the origional japanese text....By Far the best ninjutsu book that I own...and I own quite a few.

Thanks! That will be the next one I own. However I do own a copy of Ten Chi Jin No Maki... This book sounds like that but more indepth? Just curious.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Available at WWW.Ninjutsu.com, Hatsumi wrote the book in Japanese and this is the translated version that also includes the origional japanese text....By Far the best ninjutsu book that I own...and I own quite a few.

That is a good book. I wish I had an origional instead of the translated copy. Still it is definately a book you want in your library.
icon14.gif

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For me the review would hold more water if it were people in the Bujinkan Community giving the scathing review. I don't believe the Journal of Asian Martial Arts falls into that category. In my opinion they are outsiders looking in through the window.

Well, if people reading the reviews are novices or people from other arts, then their opinions may be even more valid than ours. There are certain books I would reccomend for people with a few years under their belt and others I would reccomend for people with no experience. Sword fighting is not one of the ones I think people in the former catagory should get. There is not even explinations of how to grip a sword. That is in line with Hatsumi's saying that you need to get training first and then you can understand the books. And if you do, then there are some great things you can pick up from that book.

But if you are totally new, then there are better books. Stick Fighting and Togakure ryu Ninpo Taijutsu come to mind. (I have the original in Japanese and can read it. :2xBird2: ) You might want to look into some of the stuff by people other than Hatsumi for basic stuff. Hatsumi just does not do basic anymore it seems. He has too much to lay down that only he can teach us to bother with the stuff that a lot of others could.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I just received it at the office! Wow! I am very impressed! I cannot wait to get home and read through it. What I have managed to read through thus far at my desk is great stuff! :) I am seriously considering some lifestyle changes too, bringing myself more inline with some of the things he recommends. :)

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I just received it at the office! Wow! I am very impressed! I cannot wait to get home and read through it. What I have managed to read through thus far at my desk is great stuff! :) I am seriously considering some lifestyle changes too, bringing myself more inline with some of the things he recommends. :)

Hey Dave,

Congratulations on your new book. Enjoy reading it and picking up those nuggets of wisdom contained within.
icon14.gif

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I am kind of wondering about this now.

This is a photocopy of Hatsumi's book. There is also a translation (bad IIRC) but I kind of wonder just how moral it is to purchase a copy of a book. Yes, it is out of print. And it may not be covered by the copyright. But it does not strike me as correct to sell photocopies of a book. Even if it was just the translations of the text I would have problems. But to sell something with pictures just does not sit well with me the more I think about it. Hatsumi should be the one to have control over this, not anyone else.

I think someone should come out with their own book that covers most of the topics such as the fists, kamae and such. Throw in some stuff on the basics of hanbojutsu and a little on the history of each school as well as examples of their kata and you would have a great book for new students to use as a reference for their studies.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am kind of wondering about this now.

This is a photocopy of Hatsumi's book. There is also a translation (bad IIRC) but I kind of wonder just how moral it is to purchase a copy of a book. Yes, it is out of print. And it may not be covered by the copyright. But it does not strike me as correct to sell photocopies of a book. Even if it was just the translations of the text I would have problems. But to sell something with pictures just does not sit well with me the more I think about it. Hatsumi should be the one to have control over this, not anyone else.

I would hope that RVD had permission to do so. Although, I do not know and I hadn't thought of that.

I think someone should come out with their own book that covers most of the topics such as the fists, kamae and such. Throw in some stuff on the basics of hanbojutsu and a little on the history of each school as well as examples of their kata and you would have a great book for new students to use as a reference for their studies.

Actually that would be a great project! However, I am certainly not qualified to do anything remotely close to that. Check back with me in 20 years, I might be closer to being qualified... :rofl:

mdamignani

White Belt
Reaction score
All of Hatsumi's books that I have read are excellent, but I am a little surprised that none of Tanemura's books have been mentioned. I understand that most of the people in this forum train in the Bujinkan, but Ninpo Secrets is the book that stands out the most in my mind as the most informative book on Ninpo. Those who have not read this book are missing out on a wealth of information regardless of which X-kan you train with.
Sincerly
Matthew Damignani

Latest Discussions