Hasan loses beard in military prison

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
[h=1]Hasan loses beard in military prison[/h]Posted: 6:42 p.m. Tuesday, Sept. 3, 2013 Statesman.com Excerpt:

Maj. Nidal Hasan, the Army psychiatrist sentenced last week to death for the 2009 shootings at Fort Hood, has lost another battle with the military: His beard has been shaved, an Army spokesman said Tuesday.

Hasan had cited religious grounds for seeking to keep the beard that he grew while awaiting court-martial on 45 counts of murder and attempted murder. After months of legal wrangling over the beard, Hasan was allowed to wear it during the trial.

But while imprisoned at Fort Leavenworth, Kan., he must be cleanshaven and wear the required uniform and insignia, the Army spokesman said.
End Excerpt
Private Hasan, because part of his sentence was a reduction in rank, thinks he deserves special treatment. A whole bunch of Muslims serve, properly shaved.

shihansmurf

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hearing this on the radio today made me a happy soldier. Small thing, and a bit petty really, but I would have loved getting to watch that happen.

I hope they televise the execution, at least on AFN.

Mark

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
He shouldn't have even been allowed to grow the beard for the trial in my opinion, regardless of religious beliefs. There are dress and appearance standards for military members and he committed his crime while in the military on a military base and was tried by a military judge.

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Since he represented himself at courts martial, he ought to be required to represent himself at every level of appeal. His appeals ought to be vetted by the most anal retentive, 6 months out of law school or West Point SJA in the Army.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score

Private Hasan, because part of his sentence was a reduction in rank, thinks he deserves special treatment. A whole bunch of Muslims serve, properly shaved.

Sorry, but unless things have changed drastically, he is still a major, beardless or not. As I recall, the court-martial sentence must be reviewed by appointing authority and ordered put into effect. Until then, he is a Major in the US Army. After that, whatever sentence he receives will be put into effect. He will be reduced in rank, then dishonorably discharged, and maybe kept in the military Disciplinary Barracks, or maybe transferred to a federal civilian prison. He could even be transferred to a Super Max. The military hasn't executed a prisoner in many years. But this is a particularly heinous crime. Still, I have my doubts.

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The odds on him actually being executed (by the government, not his fellow felons) are on par with the odds of him being the next pope.

Takai

Senior Master
Reaction score
The odds on him actually being executed (by the government, not his fellow felons) are on par with the odds of him being the next pope.

I think odds of him becoming Pope might be higher....Unfortunately.

Latest Discussions