Has anyone had to use Wing-Chun for self-defense ?

I think there was a Buddhist nun like 300 years ago that used it effectively.
Nope.

Ng Mui made up the whole thing. She was in cahoots with girl Yim Wing Chun and her brother, the guy who played the role of bully "Wang" who supposedly wanted to marry the girl. The three of them travelled up and down the Pearl River repeating the ruse in every town along the way. Story is that old Ng Mui signed up hundreds of students. The three of them split the take and ran off to Szechuan to enjoy spicy food.

OK maybe I made that up. But it sounds more like some of the people I've met in the martial arts than the other version of the story!

There are a select few Wing Chun-labeled fighters out there doing the purse thing.

Unfortunately they carry this kind of baggage with them, and they are told they're not using Wing Chun when they fight, usually by Wing Chun people who don't.

"Why Wing Chun loses to MMA​

Rules. "

So some kind of wing chun champion?

What organisation is that?

I think Alan Orr's guys do okay in MMA. None of them are at the UFC level, but to be fair the vast majority of MMA gyms don't produce UFC level fighters. If there were a few hundred WC schools that operated like Alan Orr's, then probably a few of them might produce top-level fighters.

Putting aside the question of the theoretical effectiveness of the art, there's also the fact that most WC schools are run by and for hobbyists rather than professional athletes. I don't care how good your art is, you aren't going to be effective in modern high level MMA if you aren't training like a pro athlete. (This applies to lots of arts besides WC as well.)
And if Alan Orr's guys wanted to be in the UFC they would probably have to go to the few gyms that produce MMA fighters.

If they wanted to become world champions at Wing chun.

Well they can't It isn't a thing.

Reading through the last few pages of this thread felt like a trip back in time about 15 years.
I was thinking the same thing. Still, it's kinda fun seeing people getting all worked up on a Wing Chun forum. At least people are posting again.

I was thinking the same thing. Still, it's kinda fun seeing people getting all worked up on a Wing Chun forum. At least people are posting again.
And if Alan Orr's guys wanted to be in the UFC they would probably have to go to the few gyms that produce MMA fighters.

If they wanted to become world champions at Wing chun.

Well they can't It isn't a thing.
There are WC champions. Why does this even matter? we were discussing people who have used WC in the real world

several have been named, some UFC or mma guys also train Chinese arts

so the discussion turns into a non sequitur.

has anyone used WC in real life? Yes

well do They do MMA, sure Dan Theodore has

oh well he wasn't a champ or if he’s a champ he’s an outlier

i answered the post. not my fault you can’t look these guys up, that’s your issue and more excuses. And Pogocich wasn’t in the KGB, he trained under Vasiliv in Canada.

if you were so serious about debates wtf, why wouldn’t you do a quick Google search in these “random guys” or their backgrounds. Again, that’s why I dislike these debates.

I am not going to waste my time arguing with someone who can’t even do a quick Google or YouTube search, or says something like oh well WC guys can’t do boxing.

blocked
I did actually look them up. None of them were scions of Wing Chun like you suggested.

I even quoted Pogocich directly: ""I am a SAG actor/Stuntman. I am also one of the first Americans ever to be certified in an elite KGB system."

Listen, I don't "debate' Wing Chun, especially online. I throw down with southern Dragon.

Last edited:
My point is that the worst examples are often used as an example in WC. There are plenty of good teachers who have lineage to Ip Man. I also Dislike how certain channels monetize on trashing arts.

I often see goal post moving. Well karate sucks. What about machida? Well he’s a master, it’s silly.

And I also think the WC community can be an issue in that many aren’t into growing evolving the training
Nobody here said Wing Chun sucks. I love Wing Chun. I've probably defended it better than most here.

And you just admitted, there is a problem with the "WC community".

I agree. They tend "talk with their mouths, not their hands", to paraphrase the old Cantonese saying.

Last edited:
There are WC champions.
Who?
Why does this even matter? we were discussing people who have used WC in the real world
Very few.
several have been named, some UFC or mma guys also train Chinese arts
This was never a "CMA sucks" or "Wing Chun sucks" discussion. I certainly don't believe either of those things. If I did I wouldn't have learned half a dozen CMA and fought full contact.
so the discussion turns into a non sequitur.

has anyone used WC in real life? Yes

well do They do MMA, sure Dan Theodore has

oh well he wasn't a champ or if he’s a champ he’s an outlier
You really do seem to be hung up on the whole "Wing Chun works!!" thing.

Relax.

Wing Chun's entire repertoire can be used in a couple different rulesets like San Shou, Muay Thai. Other CMA don't have a problem there. Wing Chun is noticably absent.

Boxing? There's 20 years of "how to defeat boxing with Wing Chun" videos online. So far the only ones that make sense are Terrible Tim Witherspoons', because he figured out Bong Sau.

Imagine that, an actual boxer training Wing Chun!
I believe many Wing Chun concepts are already used in different rulesets.

Here are some similar concepts used in combat sports:

Tony Ferguson using wing chun in a fight (10/06/18) vs. Pettis.

Classic Wing Chun - pak sau, pak sau (slapping hand trapping) then overhand elbow in close...

Opponent on fence, usually you see a boxing flurry in this situation or else pushing against the cage to clinch, maybe go for a thai plum. Alternative is post the hand to get your range and step in with nasty elbows and forearms...

Double lap jut sau, notice he reaches forward and pulls down the hands to clear them then uses the momentum to step in with the elbow. Type of thing you can drill in chi sau...

So some kind of wing chun champion?

What organisation is that?
It's more of a fringe thing, but there are fighters signing up to fight under the "WC vs. X" label, usually in an MMA ruleset.

They are not all that bad. The comment section is, tho

Last edited:
I believe many Wing Chun concepts are already used in different rulesets.

Here are some similar concepts used in combat sports:
Sure.

Wing Chun is full of effective striking and kicking techniques. You can find 100% of them in other related CMA, and non CMA, and these arts all have a rich hand to hand combat history.

What these other arts don't have (or need) is a whole history of having to mansplain why they don't have to spar with resistance, too deadly, ancient Shaolin killer secret knowledge, etc.

Hate to be the realist in this thread, but Wing Chun does not have the reputation for "self defense" that some people seem to want to die on a hill for. Few arts do.

That said, the person who can successfully use Wing Chun to self defend is going to be as exceptional as the one who uses Burmese Lethwei.

I love all these videos.

You are proving my point dead on.

Wing Chun students make a lot of claims about being able to fight hand to hand, to fire off remote chi blasts.

But for some reason, we keep using European boxing to see good Wing Chun technique. :D

Seriously, there is just no excuse for Wing Chun kung fu (or any other) people avoiding full contact competiton. San Shou, Lei Tai, and MMA are full of kung fu trained people.

But certain styles are noticably missing.

I did actually look them up. None of them were scions of Wing Chun like you suggested.

I even quoted Pogocich directly: ""I am a SAG actor/Stuntman. I am also one of the first Americans ever to be certified in an elite KGB system."

Listen, I don't "debate' Wing Chun, especially online. I throw down with southern Dragon.
Neither here nor there, but I think @Buka is a SAG actor/stuntman, too. Maybe not...

Back