Has anyone bought this ring?

Satt

Black Belt
Reaction score
I saw this ring on the interwebz and I was wondering if anyone has it and can tell me if it's as nice as it looks.

Here is the link...
http://www.bujinkanatl.com/category/Jewlery-7/rec/20

And the pic...
62_th.jpg

Drizzt

White Belt
Reaction score
I have not purchased this ring but I did train at the Atlanta Bujinkan Dojo with Bud Malmstrom for many years. He used to have that ring in the shop at the front of the Dojo. It is a very nice ring, 14k gold if I remember correctly. I believe Bud had them made by a local Atlanta jewelry shop. He's a great guy the ring will be worth it if that’s what you are looking for.

Hope this helps.

Ric

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ooooh look at my pinkie ring. I'm a NINJA! ;)
Given that for a ninja, remaining inconspicuous was essential, I think this ring indicates that whoever owns it is missing the point completely.

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It is a nice ring. It has the Kanji Nin 忍 on it. Nin means to endure in Chinese Hanzi it is read as Ren. Personally if I saw someone with a tattoo or ring with the Kanji Nin I would not associate Ninja with it just like I do not associate Wuxing 五行 tattoo or ring to mean that person does Xingyiquan.

Drizzt

White Belt
Reaction score
Some people don't ware things like this to give any outward impression of who they might be. Rather, to help themselves keep a higher ideal forefront in their minds, a guide or reminder if you will of the path they have chosen to walk. Something to help them stay focused on that higher purpose in their life.

Maybe Bruno should wear a ring to help him remember to learn compassion.

Last edited:

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Really, son? For someone who's "Primary Art and Ranking" is "My own, Black", you may reconsider your approach here. Especially if you have a total of 2 posts, and choose to use the second to attack an established and respected member. Not sure how long your time here will be, as this is the "friendly" martial arts forum, and the mods don't tend to appreciate such personal attacks.

Just a friendly word.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
Last I checked, this is a ninjutsu related forum.
Stealth and inconspicuousness were of major importance to ninja.
So a heavy gold ring with the nin kanji would go against everything that a ninja was trying to achieve. You don't see Hatsumi sensei or Tanemura sensei wear outward symbols of their art, do you? And they have most certainly dedicated their entire life to that goal.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Personally I do not think a raised design is a good idea. The raised kanji will be more susceptible to scratches and damage. In addition, such a thing could be uncomfortable to wear. If your fingers brush against the design while going about your day, it may cause a bit of discomfort. Likewise when you are shaking someone's hand.

DuskB4Dawn

Green Belt
Reaction score
wearing this would be like wearing a big sign on your back saying rob me please.
shinobe is suppose to blend into the environment.

kungfu penguin

Green Belt
Reaction score
i see a lot of guys who wear a cross and they are not christian by any meaning of the definition i also know people who wear the cross to remind them of their walk with christ the ring could just be a keepsake of remebering what is important in their life or maybe they just like the ring! my 2 cents--tom

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
It is a nice ring. It has the Kanji Nin 忍 on it. Nin means to endure in Chinese Hanzi it is read as Ren. Personally if I saw someone with a tattoo or ring with the Kanji Nin I would not associate Ninja with it just like I do not associate Wuxing 五行 tattoo or ring to mean that person does Xingyiquan.

What about 五行拳 :D

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
What about 五行拳 :D

I have no idea what this means, but the kanji in Japanese would mean something like '5 step' something or '5 movements something'? Am I close?

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hey, Bruno,

The last character is "Ken" in Japanese ("Chuan" in Chinese), meaning "fist". It's found, for us, in Da KEN Taijutsu, for instance. The whole phrase is Wuxing Chuan in Chinese, I believe. If I'm wrong, I'm sure Xue will correct me.

Muawijhe

Green Belt
Reaction score
wearing this would be like wearing a big sign on your back saying rob me please.
shinobe is suppose to blend into the environment.

As others have said, it is probably more as a keepsake to have in one's room. Or perhaps they are very proud of being a ninja.

Besides, they probably take if off during their ninja missions so they can blend in.

Then again, if they think they are a ninja and are going on "ninja missions" then they have some severe mental health issues to worry about first...

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I have no idea what this means, but the kanji in Japanese would mean something like '5 step' something or '5 movements something'? Am I close?

It means Wuxingquan, which is 5 elements fist and directly associated with Xingyiquan, kind of a CMA, IMA inside joke. I was just being silly based on oaktree's post :D

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
五行拳

Well then that person would be a Taiji player :uhyeah:

Yes. 五=five(see five lines) 行=movement/phases 拳=fist

Kajowaraku

Green Belt
Reaction score
五=five(see five lines) 行=movement/phases 拳=fist

Not trying to nitpick here, but 五 is a four stroke character, not five. The downwards angle is one stroke. Ironically, the character for four (四) is actually a five stroke character. I'm afraid the correlation between stroke count and numeric value only holds if you don't count beyond three.

And to go back on topic. If got tons of T-shirts of taikai and other ninpo related events. Mostly i just wear them during keiko or related events, but sometimes i wear them on other special occasions too, like important exams or interviews. It helps me relax and it helps to keep me level-headed, somehow. I've got a few "pins" too, most don't have the nin character, but one (the nicest) actually does. It's the kind of thing you only wear on special gatherings, and it identifies you as an instructor even when in regular clothing. But you really need to get close or stare at it to make out the kanji. Even than, most people don't have a clue what the kanji means, let alone what it looks like. Those in you immediate environment that do are probably already quite aware of who you are and where you train. It's a gold ring. I goes the OP would reserve it for special occasions, and not wear it for hunting ducks or digging latrines. Kanji belong to the realm of the exotic and the mystic for most people in the west. It looks kewl but they don't have a clue what they're looking at. In these days of pop-culture, wearing a t-shirt with popular ninjer-anime or movie iconagrafy can be a better disquise than denying any knowledge. It allows some minor slips in the cover and it will prevent people from taking you serious. So you see Bruno, real moders ninja need a good collection of powerranger shirts. (ok, dignity forbids it, but the point stands).

Last edited:

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Not trying to nitpick here, but 五 is a four stroke character, not five. The downwards angle is one stroke. Ironically, the character for four (四) is actually a five stroke character. I'm afraid the correlation between stroke count and numeric value only holds if you don't count beyond three.

Don't want to nit pick here but 五 is a five stroke character in Chinese the means 5

五

Kajowaraku

Green Belt
Reaction score
Don't want to nit pick here but 五 is a five stroke character in Chinese the means 5

五

I know what it means, i know what it looks like and i know how it is written. In correct calligraphy it is only 4 (four) bushu. Not five. The middle horizonal stroke and the second vertical are ONE stroke. Obviously you *could* write it in five strokes, but that would not be correct calligraphy.

Clearly you will disagree with me again, and this will go on forever, so for the sake of our fellow forumusers i suggest we don't turn this little discussion in a neverending debate on strokes.

I guess i can at least get you to agree on the fact that my bike is a fourstroke.

Latest Discussions