Hapkido schools a dying breed?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've had this discussion with you several times. I've seen this discussion from a bunch of other MMA sheep that think the same way you do. You don't want me to post the video because you'll believe me. You want me to post a video so you can poke all sorts of holes in it and continue to think yourself right. You want more information to nitpick.

Ok this is weird.

Who cares? I am nit picking you anyway. At what point would my opinion of you deter you from doing this?

Like you would loose all this credibility or something.

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
@DB, whats your professional/amateur fight record?
What is your experience in tma?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lol. Ok then show where I did that.
As I've said before, I simply don't have the inclination to dig around through thousands of posts. I have no idea how I'd manage such a search, other than literally re-reading every thread you've posted in for the past year.

If you really think you haven't done that, then you're not self-aware enough to learn from me finding the posts, anyway. Past experience suggests you'd likely just "nope" it away, anyhow.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok this is weird.

Who cares? I am nit picking you anyway. At what point would my opinion of you deter you from doing this?

It's more a matter of it not being worth the effort. Anything he posts, unless it's video of him (or, perhaps, a confirmed Hapkido-only practitioner) using it against an attacker, or someone you approve of using it (read: MMA for the most part), you're just going to dismiss it. Like you did with the several videos I posted showing that big, looping single punches actually happen in the wild.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ok this is weird.

For one, this is a Hapkido thread, and I train Hapkido. For another, you have personally gone after me in the past.

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
For one, this is a Hapkido thread, and I train Hapkido. For another, you have personally gone after me in the past.

I wouldnt take it as personal, as I thought the same a little while ago, its just DB way, its a syndrome, a lot of ma do, in DB mind, his art, his training, his opinion, is the best and only way, I'm probably sure he used to train in WWF, before it acknowledged it was staged for entertainment, I am sure he takes his vitamins, and rips his T shirt off, whilst shouting "WHAT YA GONNA DO", just before class starts.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ok then show a video.

That's right laser eye beams.

So anecdotes and astrology. If you wake up read your horoscope and it says something bad might happen. And it does.

That doesn't prove your system works.
Your analogy’s does not hold water. Astrology works because every question/situation has multiple ‘correct’ outcomes. It is never fully wrong or right. Does this fit your argument?

What is it you want a video of anyway?

Bruce7

Black Belt
Reaction score
True Hapkido schools seem to be rare in the United States. There are some good ones out there if you are lucky enough to be in an area where they are available. Most Hapkido I see is being advertised by TKD schools who put a few basic techniques into the TKD training, requiring you to join the TKD classes to practice Hapkido. But you are not able to obtain rank and don't learn more than the most basic techniques you would learn as a white belt in a Hapkido Dojang. Often times these techniques are being taught by TKD instructors who never actually studied Hapkido and simply went to a seminar or two.

I agree most TKD school know very little Hapkido, There are a very few TKD schools where the teacher is a black belt in Hapkido and TKD.
IMO they are some of the best teachers.

One of the students said to the teacher what we all thought, I want to go to Korea to learn TKD, where it all started.
He said, " you would be better off studying Hapkido if he want to go to Korea. The student asked why? He said "TKD in Korea is not the same as it once was and Hapkido has not changed."
IMO He meant the Koreans had already bought the best of TKD to America and there was no deeper knowledge to be found in Korea.
The best Hapkido masters were still in Korea, so if you are go to Korea to improve as a martial artist, studying Hapkido would be the best use of your time.

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The best Hapkido masters were still in Korea, so if you are go to Korea to improve as a martial artist, studying Hapkido would be the best use of your time.

Completely agree, I spent 6 months training HKD in Korea, although I thouroughly enjoyed it, I should have trained in the US.

Latest Discussions