hammerlock? / tonfa unarmed

Porong

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
my question is I know there is a tonfa hammer lock I guess the included link is the unarmed version and could be used where weapons are banned?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the key principle in how we teach that (it's the "Come Along" in NGA), and the thing I focus on first when working with students on it. That and what he did at the beginning: placing his own elbow forward to initiate the technique, which makes it far too easy to reverse (he was negatively cheating for the demo, I think).

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes, controlling the elbow is the key. Leverage is best between the wrist and the elbow. Bringing the elbow forward while directing the wrist toward the spine and then toward the base of the neck. Providing pressure on the subject's elbow toward their chest takes very little effort to maintain complete control.

D

Deleted member 39746

Been meaning to ask, and this is a relatively empty thread, what does NGA stand for/what is it?

I did previously have something written up but i fell for a English duality issue with "tonfa hammerlock" . To be fair, i think you should focus on doing it without a weapon anyway, the Tonfa specifically is banned in the U.K. I just know it should help with leveraging.

If the statement meant using it on a opponents tonfa, they are quite uncommon weapons. Or playing on theirs somehow. Nor is it that easy to conceal to my knowledge. this again is me falling victim to the duality of the two words together.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Been meaning to ask, and this is a relatively empty thread, what does NGA stand for/what is it?
It's in my signature: Nihon Goshin Aikido. It's a cousin art to Ueshiba's Aikido.

I did previously have something written up but i fell for a English duality issue with "tonfa hammerlock" . To be fair, i think you should focus on doing it without a weapon anyway, the Tonfa specifically is banned in the U.K. I just know it should help with leveraging.

If the statement meant using it on a opponents tonfa, they are quite uncommon weapons. Or playing on theirs somehow. Nor is it that easy to conceal to my knowledge. this again is me falling victim to the duality of the two words together.
You can use a stick or staff to do this, as well, so it can be done with a weapon of opportunity. The video seemed directed at LEO, who are more likely to have something (including the PR-24 in some areas, which is essentially a tonfa).

(I wonder if it was derived from a tonfa technique, or if that word has another meaning in Japanese, beyond the weapon.)

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
my question is I know there is a tonfa hammer lock I guess the included link is the unarmed version and could be used where weapons are banned?

Unarmed Hammer lock is used alot by LEO.

Anf it used to be taught with the PR-24 (tonfa) but now it is mainly taught with an expandable baton.

With the baton in your hand...you slip it between his arm and waist with your palm up and thumb extended out....you use the thumb to grab his wrist and with your other hand reach over his elbow and grab the end of the baton....you push the wrist back and upward while pulling the elbow forward and downward as you step around and finish the hammerlock

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
If memory serves me....with the PR-24...

Holding the long extended end slip the PR-24 in between the wrist and waist with thumb out just like with the expandable baton....with The PR-24 you want the the short handle pointing back toward you on the outside of the arm as you grab the short end....then like with the expandable baton you push the wrist back and upward and pull the elbow forward and downward.

pr24_nom.jpg

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If memory serves me....with the PR-24...

Holding the long extended end slip the PR-24 in between the wrist and waist with thumb out just like with the expandable baton....with The PR-24 you want the the short handle pointing back toward you on the outside of the arm as you grab the short end....then like with the expandable baton you push the wrist back and upward and pull the elbow forward and downward.

pr24_nom.jpg
I got me one of these... the old 1980s era aluminum thingies, and a couple of cheap plastic modern ones. We used to use them some in our escrima training (back in the day before the expandable baton) when they were commonly used by LEOs in our group. They have some advantages for both striking and for control, but are also big and bulky and awkward to carry getting in and out of a car. And they can really mess someone up. I think the Rodney king video and the like made them politically incorrect. Any LEOs out there know if any departments still use these things?

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
No....they are just too bulky...were replaced by the smaller expandable batons and tasers
Actually, I think there are still a few out there... at least as an individual option if trained & certified.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The trick is to get good at underhooks and maintain head control.

Learning to fight from a reenforced underhooks. Makes setting up the hammer lock a lot safer. As you are not in constant fear of them straightening their arm or popping out.

If you don't get that head down you can be in trouble cos then you get variations of overbooked.

OP
P

Porong

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
What I meant is that the tonfa pr24 could be used for a hammerlock but the issue is many places prohibits deadly weapons and my question is is the link I found the correct version of the Unarmed hammerlock? Help plase thank you p.s. did you want to push up or down on the head?

OP
P

Porong

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I MEAN DOES THIS VIDEO SHOWS THE COORECT WAY TO DO HAMMERLOCK WITHOUT USE OF THE BATON I was wondering since weapons are generally banned.

OP
P

Porong

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thank you but I do n't see how either of these links are related to my question

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you but I do n't see how either of these links are related to my question
If you're referring to the links in @CB Jones signature, those aren't meant to be relevant to the discussion. (If you click the "reply" link below a post, it will include the post you're referencing, like I have, so we know what your response is to).

D

Deleted member 39746

You can use a stick or staff to do this, as well, so it can be done with a weapon of opportunity. The video seemed directed at LEO, who are more likely to have something (including the PR-24 in some areas, which is essentially a tonfa).

Fair enough. I still only really see riot police/cavalry with fixed batons, for the U.S tends to be same or ones who mainly walk around. I think they are quite a pain to get in and out of a car with when you probably don't need them all the time.

I MEAN DOES THIS VIDEO SHOWS THE COORECT WAY TO DO HAMMERLOCK WITHOUT USE OF THE BATON I was wondering since weapons are generally banned.

If you need more evidence, you could always nab someone as a training partner and try it out on them. See if it works in context. and see if you can pull it off effectively so fourth. same with the video on wrestling.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you need more evidence, you could always nab someone as a training partner and try it out on them. See if it works in context. and see if you can pull it off effectively so fourth.

Or complete strangers. Hammerlock and take them down....then run before the police show up. :D

OP
P

Porong

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
My current question is is the hammerlock sometimes refered to as the figure 4 lock thought please thank you.

Latest Discussions