tonfa and numchuks

J

jjanke

I was wondering if anyone knows a site to overview basic strikes and techniques of using numchucks(spelling?) and tonfa. Thanks
jjanke

ps: please tell me if I posted this in the wrong spot!

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It is spelled nunchaku, for the proper spelling and pronunciation. For nunchaku I sould suggest the Traditional Japanese form here on MartialTalk. As for tonfa I don't know much about it at all, I dont know which direction to point you in.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tonfa was originally Okinawan but I believe it also became a Japanese weapon, so you might look there also. TW

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
TigerWoman said:
Tonfa was originally Okinawan but I believe it also became a Japanese weapon, so you might look there also. TW
right on, I don't pay that much attention to weapons.

Out of curiousity why is there no designated catagory for general martial arts weapons?

Chronuss

Senior Master
Reaction score
TigerWoman said:
most weapons related to Asian backings originated in Japan or Okinawa, I didn't say all, but most.

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The nunchaku and tonfa (tuifa) are both Okinawan weapons.....Japanese systems may have borrowed some Okinawan forms and put them in their style but for the most part Japanese stick to Japanese weapons.

OP
A

AnimEdge

try google.com i found a really good basic nunchuku site doing that, didnt look much for tonfas thoughh

Chronuss

Senior Master
Reaction score
RRouuselot said:
The nunchaku and tonfa (tuifa) are both Okinawan weapons.....Japanese systems may have borrowed some Okinawan forms and put them in their style but for the most part Japanese stick to Japanese weapons.
As Mr. Rousselot stated, both are Okinawan weapons. The nunchaku and tonfa originated in Okinawa under Japanese suppression, both used as everyday tools that were converted to be used as weapons. The nunchaku was used to thrash rice to release the grains from the stalks and the tonfa originated as a handle for a mortar.

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Chronuss said:
As Mr. Rousselot stated, both are Okinawan weapons.
1) The nunchaku and tonfa originated in Okinawa under Japanese suppression, both used as everyday tools that were converted to be used as weapons. 2)The nunchaku was used to thrash rice to release the grains from the stalks and the tonfa originated as a handle for a mortar.
1) There has been some research done and some people have come to the idea that they were used as weapons even before the Japanese ocupation.

2) Again some people have also researched this and think the nunchaku was used as a horse bridal/bit....Hokama Tesuhiro runs an Okinawa Karate museum in Okinawa that has some very interesting stuff in it.

Latest Discussions