Guntings!

striker

White Belt
Reaction score
Just wondering what other arts train with Gunting strikes and how much emphasis they put on them

Franc0

Purple Belt
Reaction score
SIMONCURRAN said:
Whats a Gunting?
Gunting is a form of limb weakening/destruction. I do an eclectic system that utilizes gunting. I like it alot. Helps to break down a strong guard.

Franco

Simon Curran

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
masterfinger said:
Gunting is a form of limb weakening/destruction. I do an eclectic system that utilizes gunting. I like it alot. Helps to break down a strong guard.

Franco
OK, thanks, in which case I guess most martial arts do at some level:idunno:

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
striker said:
Just wondering what other arts train with Gunting strikes and how much emphasis they put on them

Many of the FMAs as well as JKD include gunting or limb destruction into their training.

Mike

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
striker said:

The term "gunting" comes from Filipino martial arts and literally translates as "scissors." But it has come to mean, at least as far as a lot of American FMA practitioners are concerned, limb destructions in general. But many of them are scissoring motions either with the hands, or a hand and an elbow, or a hand and a knee, etc.

I've seen them in some Silat - not all that surprising given the amount of cross-pollenation between FMA and Silat.

But I've seen the concept - if not the specific techniques - used in most other arts I've been exposed to.

One phrasing I've heard of the concept from several other arts is "attack the attack."

In a lot of Karate it's "every block is a strike, every strike is a block." This ends up being the same concept when your "block" ends up being a strike intended to break the attacker's arm.

If any of this sounds familiar then you probably utilize the concept in your art :)

Mike

silatman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
A typical gunting in our system is used when confronting a lead punch, slip the punch to the outside, monitor the arm and similtaneously strike the wrist / bicep on the inside with the knuckles or if attacking to the outside a backfist motion to the tricep works a treat.
Of course any gunting aimed at any muscle is very destructive by its nature and will normally always result in what ever you hit not working real well afterwards.

Simon Curran

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
If I understand the description correctly, then I would say that the technique in our syllabus called Glancing Salute would be an example of gunting (or scissoring) where we attempt to break the attacking arm by over-extension between our forearms...

rompida

Orange Belt
Reaction score
What I would be interested in is what your style teaches you about WHEN to use a gunting. First response to an attack? Using on a more diminished fighter? or does your instructor/style even go into this?

Simon Curran

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
rompida said:
What I would be interested in is what your style teaches you about WHEN to use a gunting. First response to an attack? Using on a more diminished fighter? or does your instructor/style even go into this?
In the example I just gave, we use the gunting as a response to the initial attack (a cross-shoulder shove) and scissor the attacking arm

OP
S

striker

White Belt
Reaction score
Guntings can be anything from, an elbow to an on-coming punch, A knee to the opposite leg of a round-house kick, Back fist to tricep.They are just a few examples. Yes other-wise known as limb destruction or Bone shields! Masterfinger, I would appreciate an insight into this electric system you mention as it sounds interesting,Thanks

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MJS said:
Many of the FMAs as well as JKD include gunting or limb destruction into their training.
Yes, we were doing guntings in JKD this morning. It's a scissoring motion from the FMA intended to manage the atacking limb with one hand (or weapon) while injuring it with the other. Think of someone thrusting to your abdomen with a knife--you block with your left hand and cut the forearm or upper arm with the knife in your right hand. That's a gunting. Substitute two knives, or two sticks, or one stick, or empty hand, where the weapon is a knuckle or similar.

I'm sure other arts have similar ideas, but I wouldn't say it's the same as a Karateka's attacking block. Similar effect, but a different technique. A gunting is typically (not always) meant as a limb destruction, but not all limb destructions are guntings.

Whitebelt

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Ok i know this has nothing to do with Guntings but i wanted to know how to start a thread, the FAQ is useless in that field. Thank you.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whitebelt said:
Ok i know this has nothing to do with Guntings but i wanted to know how to start a thread, the FAQ is useless in that field. Thank you.

Go to the section of your choice. We'll use the General MA as an example. When you click on that, it'll take you to that section. Scroll to the bottom and you should see a button to hit that says "New Thread". Click on that and start your thread.

Mike

D

Drifter

SIMONCURRAN said:
If I understand the description correctly, then I would say that the technique in our syllabus called Glancing Salute would be an example of gunting (or scissoring) where we attempt to break the attacking arm by over-extension between our forearms...
I would say that the technique Taming the Mace is the best example of a gunting in EPAK's techniques (of the tech's I have so far). :asian:

psi_radar

Black Belt
Reaction score
You can apply a gunting to almost any thrusting attack. My Kenpo teacher took a fair amount of Kuntao Silat and injected guntings as an option into a lot of our techniques. In a straight punch attack, like was stated, slip the punch, then parry or hit with the outside hand while simultaneously hitting the nerve below or on the center of the bicep. Even lightly it kinda sucks to receive.

There's a version of this that's a great knife disarm that I learned in Systema. On a knife thrust, smack the back of the hand and the lower part of the upper arm. The knife will pop right out. (Don't be in the way).

I also like Silat's Patu Koppola (I'm sure I'm butchering the spelling) in which you snake an arm around the back of the head and take your opponent to the ground. An arm caught with your open one as a lever makes it even more efective.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
In a straight punch attack, like was stated, slip the punch, then parry or hit with the outside hand while simultaneously hitting the nerve below or on the center of the bicep. Even lightly it kinda sucks to receive.

In my TKD self-defense training we do very similar. As was stated earlier, a lot of 'blocks' become 'strikes', if done to the proper target. There is a nerve point at the center of the tricep that is pretty effective to strike, too.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
psi_radar said:
On a knife thrust, smack the back of the hand and the lower part of the upper arm. The knife will pop right out.
The coolness of this technique, demonstrated on me by then green (?) belt Tim Hartman, was a big part of what hooked me on Modern Arnis.

This was in 1984 or 1985, in my parents' backyard.

Latest Discussions