Guns make people overconfident.

Hot Lunch

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Saying things like "Smith-wesson made men equal" no they didn't, not against people who actually know what they are doing. All it's done is given you a false sense of security.
It may not be 100% true, but there is SOME truth to it.

There's a reason why the AK-47 and AK-74 is so popular in third world countries, and rebel groups will even arm child soldiers with them - they take little to no training to become dangerous with. They're not using M16's, M4's, or SA80's; which actually DO require significant amounts of training.

GreenieMeanie

Black Belt
Reaction score

There's a reason why the AK-47 and AK-74 is so popular in third world countries, and rebel groups will even arm child soldiers with them - they take little to no training to become dangerous with. They're not using M16's, M4's, or SA80's; which actually DO require significant amounts of training.
Eh..the AK is just stupid easy to maintain. Ballistics are ballistics. If you know how to move and shoot, then any platform will do.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah its a weird flex.

So a gun makes you safer in a fight. Unless they have a gun in which case a gun fight isn't very safe at all.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

What extra training does the AR platforms take over the AK?

gyoja

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know that in US Army basic training, it's at least three weeks' worth (commonly known as "White Phase").
To add, that’s only for basic rifle marksmanship (BRM). We also train advanced rifle marksmanship (ARM), plus semiannual qualifications.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It’s more about standards. I’ve trained armies that use the AK series, and they typically don’t invest as much training in their general purpose forces.

My guess is soon everyone will just go to AR. Because you can find parts for them more easily.

gyoja

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My guess is soon everyone will just go to AR. Because you can find parts for them more easily.
I don’t know, there are a lot of AK parts out there, and for cheap. Russia generally outsells us in volume.

Hanshi

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Anyone who chooses to be armed - let's say carry concealed - out in public MUST accept that: 1. stay away from certain places. 2. Forget "saving face". 3. Never bluff with a gun. 4. Accept getting slapped about with no retaliation. 5. Never, ever present the weapon unless it is needed, legal and you are ready and able to use it. 6. Forget any and all "warning shots".

Hot Lunch

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Saying things like "Smith-wesson made men equal" no they didn't, not against people who actually know what they are doing. All it's done is given you a false sense of security.

Plus there the fact that bullet proof clothing is getting better and better as well as knowing how guns work and what their general weaknesses are.
I think you're overestimating criminals and other types that the people you're quoting would use a firearm to protect themselves from.

The majority of crimes committed with firearms are not committed by people with any training. The "people who actually know what they're doing" are generally not the people you need to worry about.

What criminals are wearing "bullet proof clothing?"

GreenieMeanie

Black Belt
Reaction score
Anyone who chooses to be armed - let's say carry concealed - out in public MUST accept that: 1. stay away from certain places. 2. Forget "saving face". 3. Never bluff with a gun. 4. Accept getting slapped about with no retaliation. 5. Never, ever present the weapon unless it is needed, legal and you are ready and able to use it. 6. Forget any and all "warning shots".
If a dude knows what he’s doing, you won’t know he’s carrying.

“Slapped” generally doesn’t amount to lethal force, so it wouldn’t be a justification.

Everything here is like…CCW 101.

Hot Lunch

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score

“Slapped” generally doesn’t amount to lethal force, so it wouldn’t be a justification.

Had the State of Florida left it in the hands of Pinellas County to prosecute, Michael Drejka would have proven this to be false. Thankfully, this didn't happen.

But, to be certain, if I had to bet money on this; my money says similar things have happened with very different results.

Last edited:

GreenieMeanie

Black Belt
Reaction score
Had the State of Florida left it in the hands of Pinellas County to prosecute, Michael Drejka would have proven this to be false. Thankfully, this didn't happen.

But, to be certain, if I had to bet money on this; my money says similar things have happened with very different results.
Just looked this up. From purely technical standpoint, if a dude rushes out of nowhere, and throws me to the ground—I am most definitely going to be fearing for my life. Unless there are details I’m missing.

Hot Lunch

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Just looked this up. From purely technical standpoint, if a dude rushes out of nowhere, and throws me to the ground—I am most definitely going to be fearing for my life. Unless there are details I’m missing.
Even while he's backing away from you when he sees that you've got a gun? Okay.

OP
M

Mallic

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I think you're overestimating criminals and other types that the people you're quoting would use a firearm to protect themselves from.

The majority of crimes committed with firearms are not committed by people with any training. The "people who actually know what they're doing" are generally not the people you need to worry about.

What criminals are wearing "bullet proof clothing?"
Very few, but I know I will.

Dude I'm gonna level with ya, If you're living in the south a good policy is to just assume everyone is carrying and act accordingly.

O'Malley

Black Belt
Reaction score
Don't you guys have laws that can get you locked up for so much as throwing a punch in self defence?

Not really: in general, punching somebody in the street is an unlawful act but self-defense makes it justified and thus not punishable (= no conviction and no jail). You definitely can throw punches if it's to defend yourself, others or, in some cases, your property. From what I know, in principle the right to self-defense is somewhat universally recognized. The biggest variable across jurisdictions is the legal reasoning to analyse the situation and determine whether that particular occurrence was self defense or not. And like with all things law, it all depends on the evidence, the lawyers and the judge.

Btw this was not a stab, I find it very interesting to hear opinions from US folks, as - as far as guns are concerned - you guys are confronted with a completely different reality than what I'm used to.