Grip.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have found that the Mercy Game was a great start for building strength and endurance.

Also work on squeezing your fingers together like theirs are not there. the squeeze causes a compression and then you can work the rotation for the win .
I like the squeeze as it addresses tendon strength in a direction not normally addressed.

Also as mentioned Cane work. Strike a heavier cane into a heavy bag will help build grip strength.
It will also train you to relax your grip and tighten for the strike. A constant tight grip can cause cramps in the forearms.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I picked up the other day that especially for collar chokes it works better if you relax the thumb
I can see that working on something as flexible as a collar where you can really get the collar rolled under the four fingers.
Grabbing is where I can run into problems. I have increased my weight training and can really feel it in my hands. Holding the smallish diameter of a barbell/dumbbell in suspension hurts. Exercises where I can palm the weight are not as bad as long as the weight is not rolling onto my palm heel. For sure cannot do finger pushups anymore. Even palmed pushups are not comfortable.
Yesterday, I unloaded 40 50lb bags of feed (do this every week). I can do stuff like that without much trouble because the bag does not put too much pressure on the thumbs.

caped crusader

Brown Belt
Reaction score
one thing i see is guys using gloves and straps for any exercises like Barbell rows---etc. best to use no straps. I used them myself when doing Hanging leg raises from a chinning bar but since i stopped using straps i am much stronger and thicker in my lower arms.

milewski

White Belt
Reaction score
Best method I have found is finger pushups, start on knees if to difficult then go to full push-ups once you can. We also do variations such as lifting fingers (pinky, then ring then middle) to add difficulty. Wrist push-up also help as it builds your wrist strength as well.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have found that the Mercy Game was a great start for building strength and endurance.

Also work on squeezing your fingers together like theirs are not there. the squeeze causes a compression and then you can work the rotation for the win .
I like the squeeze as it addresses tendon strength in a direction not normally addressed.

Also as mentioned Cane work. Strike a heavier cane into a heavy bag will help build grip strength.
It will also train you to relax your grip and tighten for the strike. A constant tight grip can cause cramps in the forearms.
That Mercy game is just plain nasty.

Latest Discussions