Greetings from an Aspergirl!

Blue Lotus

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello!

I have been reading up and am very impressed with this forum!

I started MA a little over a year ago on the tip from an author about women and Autism. I am 36 and recently diagnosed. It turns out (for me at least) she was very right! The rules, discipline, and focus needed are a perfect compliment to my flavor of Autism.

MA is my current fixation, though I wouldn't say I am at all hard core. I attend Americanized Karate and MMA classes once a week for an hour at different schools and practice whenever my schedule allows (including the bathroom at work. For some reason they have floor to ceiling mirrors). I know the general consensus on the forum is not to mix disciplines starting out - the schedules just worked out that way and I'd rather train 2 days a week than just one.

If anyone has some tips on good books to read about MA I would be interested to see them. Also if you have any tips on developing balance, it would be appreciated.

Thanks for making such a nice forum!

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Hello!

I started MA a little over a year ago on the tip from an author about women and Autism. I am 36 and recently diagnosed. It turns out (for me at least) she was very right! The rules, discipline, and focus needed are a perfect compliment to my flavor of Autism.

MA is my current fixation, though I wouldn't say I am at all hard core. I attend Americanized Karate and MMA classes once a week for an hour at different schools and practice whenever my schedule allows (including the bathroom at work. For some reason they have floor to ceiling mirrors). I know the general consensus on the forum is not to mix disciplines starting out - the schedules just worked out that way and I'd rather train 2 days a week than just one.

If anyone has some tips on good books to read about MA I would be interested to see them. Also if you have any tips on developing balance, it would be appreciated.

Welcome to the forum.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello!

Welcome!

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hello!

Welcome to MartialTalk, Nichole. Hope you enjoy it. :)

About balance, do you mean balance in general? Or particular to something you're having trouble with at the dojo?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome!

And don't worry too much about mixing. There are certain instances where that's true, and if you notice it's an issue, you can stop. But generally the idea is (with your situation), the advice would be spend 2 days a week at MMA or 2 days at Karate. If neither is possible, then spending a day at each is IMO better than spending 1 day at one and not going to any class the other. Particularly if you enjoy both!

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
if you have any tips on developing balance, it would be appreciated
Few suggestion:

- Single leg hop uphill with weight.
- Front kick, side kick, back kick without dropping your foot.
- Inside crescent kick, outside crescent kick, swing foot over head, leg lift backward.
- 3 none landing kicks.

Example of leg lift posture:

my-13-taibo-3.gif

Example of 3 none landing kicks.

Last edited:

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ah welcome Nicole, really great to have you here!

Feel free to jump in any discussion, would love to hear more of your experiences and training. MA is a wonderful thing indeed :)

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Few suggestion:

- Inside crescent kick, outside crescent kick, swing foot over head, leg lift backward.
- 3 none landing kicks.

View attachment 27439

Those are all great exercises, we do them in every warmup!

OP
B

Blue Lotus

White Belt
Reaction score
Welcome to MartialTalk, Nichole. Hope you enjoy it. :)

About balance, do you mean balance in general? Or particular to something you're having trouble with at the dojo?
Sense of balance in general. I used to have trouble staying upright just walking. With training I've gotten better, but still lower than average for my level. I have enough control to perform faster kicks that are OK for my level, but I tend to fall over on slow kicks.

OP
B

Blue Lotus

White Belt
Reaction score
Few suggestion:

- 3 none landing kicks.

View attachment 27439

I am not sure my balance is enough to do those correctly at this point, but I will try to work on them! Thanks for the suggestions!

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sense of balance in general. I used to have trouble staying upright just walking. With training I've gotten better, but still lower than average for my level. I have enough control to perform faster kicks that are OK for my level, but I tend to fall over on slow kicks.
Nicole, go into your kitchen and stand facing the counter. Place the fingertips of both hands lightly on the counter.

Slightly raise one foot. Then lift your fingers off the counter about an inch. As you start to wobble, put the fingertips back down. Lift them again. As you’re getting used to this you can just tap your fingers on the counter for a second to correct your balance.

Spend a couple minutes doing this, then switch your feet. You’ll feel the bottom of your base foot wobbling on the floor to shift your balance. That’s a good thing, it’s what you want.

What you want to do is make this exercise habitual. If you go into the kitchen to make tea, put on the water and stay there doing the exercise until the water boils. Then stop, pour your tea and go back to the exercise while the tea steeps.

Google “proprioception” (Might as well do that in the kitchen with your fingers on the counter) :)

You can lift your foot by bending the knee up behind you, or raise the knee in front of you. Do it the easiest way to start, then shift to the more difficult way, or mix them up.

I think you’ll notice a big difference within a year. That may seem like a long time, but a year will go by whether you do the exercise or not. So what the hey, give it a whirl.

We utilize this exercise with pretty much everyone, but especially with martial artists, athletes, people recovering from injury, amputees, older folks, older folks trying to get back into shape etc.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I tend to fall over on slow kicks.
- The static balance is like a turtle that you don't move.
- The dynamic balance is you keep moving but don't fall.

IMO, the dynamic balance is much more important than the static balance.

For dynamic balance, I strongly suggest the foot sweep solo training.

Lin-sweep-1.gif

OP
B

Blue Lotus

White Belt
Reaction score
Nicole, go into your kitchen and stand facing the counter. Place the fingertips of both hands lightly on the counter.

Slightly raise one foot. Then lift your fingers off the counter about an inch. As you start to wobble, put the fingertips back down. Lift them again. As you’re getting used to this you can just tap your fingers on the counter for a second to correct your balance.

Spend a couple minutes doing this, then switch your feet. You’ll feel the bottom of your base foot wobbling on the floor to shift your balance. That’s a good thing, it’s what you want.

What you want to do is make this exercise habitual. If you go into the kitchen to make tea, put on the water and stay there doing the exercise until the water boils. Then stop, pour your tea and go back to the exercise while the tea steeps.

Google “proprioception” (Might as well do that in the kitchen with your fingers on the counter) :)

You can lift your foot by bending the knee up behind you, or raise the knee in front of you. Do it the easiest way to start, then shift to the more difficult way, or mix them up.

I think you’ll notice a big difference within a year. That may seem like a long time, but a year will go by whether you do the exercise or not. So what the hey, give it a whirl.

We utilize this exercise with pretty much everyone, but especially with martial artists, athletes, people recovering from injury, amputees, older folks, older folks trying to get back into shape etc.
This sounds like a great exercise to help me, thank you very much!

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I am not sure my balance is enough to do those correctly at this point, but I will try to work on them! Thanks for the suggestions!
The most basic physical reasons for this is having a too high center of gravity, or not keeping your feet under your center of balance.

For the first problem, be sure your knees stay bent all the time! Some people have a habit of straightening their supporting leg during a kick. For the second problem, keep good posture and don't lean over your stance too much.

These easy fixes go a long way to solving the most common balance issues many beginners have. As you should know by now, balance and structure are key to martial arts and are the foundation for everything else. Good luck!

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
if you have any tips on developing balance, it would be appreciated.
The key to balance is keeping both feet on the monkey staff while suspended weightless and all your elders are watching, without falling down. And that's assuming you've already mastered all the texts.

It's never easy, if it was, it couldn't be called kung fu.

Latest Discussions