Green lantern updated trailer from convention

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I just don't understand the reviews. While there are movies I've enjoyed in spite of bad reviews, I can typically understand at least what the reviewers were talking about. And with the advent of Rotten Tomatoes, distilling every review into an aggregate score, I've found that it's usually pretty accurate.

But I've never had a situation where two movies have been so far off, where I've disagreed so completely with just about every reviewer. I mean, Thor was marginal. It wasn't terrible, but isn't something I'd care to see again, yet received very good reviews overall and scored somewhere in the high 80's on RT.

Conversely, Green Lantern was a funny, action filled, superhero movie, and yet it's being panned by the press. I'm hoping they introduce the Flash or Green Arrow in the next one. Hell, with these reviews, I'm hoping they even make a next one.

I think they roll the dice.
because sometimes they don't seem to have actually SEEN the movie...

(reminds me, is Tho still in the theaters?)

Sensei Payne

Black Belt
Reaction score
I think the reason why reviews for Green Lantern and Thor have been so rough is because people are tired of Origin stories...I know I am.

Thats why Dark Knight was such a sucess...they didn't have to re hash anything.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I thought GL was excellent. Pretty good special effects and the modifications they made to the GL comic origin story were fine to me. I plan to buy the BluRay disk of GL when it comes out, something I rarely do.

Looks like the sequel is going to be about Sinestro going bad. Cool. I wonder if they'll introduce all the other color Corps at the same time like the Sinestro Corps, the Star Sapphires, the Blue Lantern Corps, etc.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's my point, though. Thor got good reviews. 77% on Rotten Tomatoes. And I can't figure out why. It wasn't a very good movie.

Maybe there's a lot of forgiving comic book fans who review on Rotten Tomatoes? Heck, I thought Thor was OK. I can think of worse movies like Ghost Rider or Fantastic Four or the Ang Lee Hulk movie.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think the reason why reviews for Green Lantern and Thor have been so rough is because people are tired of Origin stories...I know I am.

Thats why Dark Knight was such a sucess...they didn't have to re hash anything.

Batman Begins was an origin story. I recall it getting generally good reviews from both people and critics.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Maybe there's a lot of forgiving comic book fans who review on Rotten Tomatoes? Heck, I thought Thor was OK. I can think of worse movies like Ghost Rider or Fantastic Four or the Ang Lee Hulk movie.
I agree with you on Ghost Rider and Ang Lee's Hulk. But even Hulk was up over 60%.

I understand that GL is a niche movie, but come on. Low 20's on Rotten Tomatoes?

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
(dangit...Thor must have been bad...they done yanked it....wonder how long til netflix has it...)

If the movie lasts 1h 45 minutes and starts at 11:30....I should be out in time to make the 2:10 show of another?
(damn, didn't know GL was in 3D, too....)

poollshark

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I saw GL Saturday night at 7:30 pm, there were 30 people in the theater....WTF???? 30 people? Primetime, 3D, day 2 of release? I was very disappointed by the turnout.

As far as the movie goes I thought it was pretty good but I'm a geek for these things.

Granfire, I asked how long the movie was when I purchased my tix and the girl at the counter looked up on her list and says "2hrs 5mins". I knew I read on the website that it was 1hr 45mins so I ask the girl which is it? She says we add in the 20 minutes of previews :duh:

You should still be safe.

(dangit...Thor must have been bad...they done yanked it....wonder how long til netflix has it...)

If the movie lasts 1h 45 minutes and starts at 11:30....I should be out in time to make the 2:10 show of another?
(damn, didn't know GL was in 3D, too....)

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
GL looked good from the trailers, but the RT score gave me hesitation.
Perhaps Ryan Reynolds is disliked by critics?
Honestly, those of you who saw the film, did RR's acting or presence in any way take you out of the movie so that you thought "That's Ryan Reynolds in a green suit"?

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
GL looked good from the trailers, but the RT score gave me hesitation.
Perhaps Ryan Reynolds is disliked by critics?
Honestly, those of you who saw the film, did RR's acting or presence in any way take you out of the movie so that you thought "That's Ryan Reynolds in a green suit"?

He's not exactly who I pictured as a real life Hal Jordan, but I went with the flow. He wasn't bad... I'll disagree a bit with how the movie portrayed Hal. He's supposed to be the Man Without Fear with enormous will power right? The movie went with the idea instead that while he is very courageous and bold, he's always had a deep seated fear of failure of not living up to the image of his father. That he in fact is afraid some of the time (much of the time?) when he is flying or doing some other crazy thing. He's just able to overcome his fear and do it nonetheless.

I dunno if that's the way the comics cast Jordan.

By the way, Ryan Reynolds with the GL mask on reminds me of Ben Stiller.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
He's not exactly who I pictured as a real life Hal Jordan, but I went with the flow. He wasn't bad... I'll disagree a bit with how the movie portrayed Hal. He's supposed to be the Man Without Fear with enormous will power right? The movie went with the idea instead that while he is very courageous and bold, he's always had a deep seated fear of failure of not living up to the image of his father. That he in fact is afraid some of the time (much of the time?) when he is flying or doing some other crazy thing. He's just able to overcome his fear and do it nonetheless.

I dunno if that's the way the comics cast Jordan.

By the way, Ryan Reynolds with the GL mask on reminds me of Ben Stiller.
This is about the biggest departure, but I didn't have any trouble with it. The idea that we all face fear, but some are paralyzed by it is a theme that resonates with me, and is central to hero movies regardless of genre, from war films to westerns to martial arts movies.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I saw GL Saturday night at 7:30 pm, there were 30 people in the theater....WTF???? 30 people? Primetime, 3D, day 2 of release? I was very disappointed by the turnout.

As far as the movie goes I thought it was pretty good but I'm a geek for these things.

Granfire, I asked how long the movie was when I purchased my tix and the girl at the counter looked up on her list and says "2hrs 5mins". I knew I read on the website that it was 1hr 45mins so I ask the girl which is it? She says we add in the 20 minutes of previews :duh:

You should still be safe.

I might have to ask...
but then again, who can afford a double feature at the movies...(sorry, I am a GOOD GIRL, I don't sneak into the movies without paying....)

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I might have to ask...
but then again, who can afford a double feature at the movies...(sorry, I am a GOOD GIRL, I don't sneak into the movies without paying....)

I paid $12 x 4 tickets, $3 x 4 sodas, $6 for a large tub of popcorn, and $3 x 2 candy bars to see Green Lantern. (No, it wasn't all for me. :) ) It's not going to kill me, but I guess I haven't noticed that a movie theater experience has firmly become middle class territory.

What do the poor kids go do during the summer? Man, movies were a staple of mine growing up and I remember they were more like $3-$5 back then and drinks were like a buck-fifty.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I paid $12 x 4 tickets, $3 x 4 sodas, $6 for a large tub of popcorn, and $3 x 2 candy bars to see Green Lantern. (No, it wasn't all for me. :) ) It's not going to kill me, but I guess I haven't noticed that a movie theater experience has firmly become middle class territory.

What do the poor kids go do during the summer? Man, movies were a staple of mine growing up and I remember they were more like $3-$5 back then and drinks were like a buck-fifty.

Well, one place here has a series of old movies, one day a week, a buck a piece...
I am guessing they figure they make more money on the popcorn anyhow...

Sensei Payne

Black Belt
Reaction score
They made GL acceptable for today's audiance...Hal is human..and they even mentioned it in the movie...the expression "were only human", humans will experince fear, it is a part of our evolutionary process..the flight or fight system...having fear is a good thing, it tells you when danger is present.

but what the movie shows us, that if you look fear right in the eye, focus, and say the GL oath...then you can over come anything. LOL you know what I mean.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Indeed. I thought a big underlying message of the movie was "being human"... an interesting theme for a superhero movie.

I saw it on Friday night when I was visiting my mom in NC. Saturday morning at breakfast, my mom was chuckling that the movie was given a "D" grade by the local paper and asked if the movie was really bad. I didn't think it was, I liked it a lot.

A few comments from the local reviewer left me wondering. One was a complaint that the movie was "all CGI effects" Ummmm....just how exactly DO you portray a superhero that makes just about anything out of green light, without going to the special effects?

Another was that there wasn't enough action. I dunno....I *really* enjoyed that the movie didn't have to rely on blood baths, constant dropping of the F bombs, or a buncha sex scenes to get attention. They managed to tell a very good story without any of that.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
It was a fun movie but they made little character changes to Hal that didn't jive with me. The bravest man who ever lived? Greatest Air force pilot? Not quite. In fact, the way Ryan played him he didnt seem that extraordinary at all. Hal's no joker, he's a serious soldier who makes Superman look like a wuss when it comes to taking the fight to people.

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Steve Bjj, we agree on thor. it wasn't very good. Enough people here seemed to have at least liked GL enough to make me go see it. I think Thor was "Ang Lee'd" like the hulk. They should have the Kick *** and new X-men director do the next one.

Latest Discussions