Don LaFontaine

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In a world where some of the best of us are not remembered for what was seen... but what was heard.
Don LaFontaine, voice of movie trailers, dies

By DERRIK J. LANG, AP Entertainment Writer 1 hour, 30 minutes ago
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080903/ap_en_mo/obit_lafontaine
LOS ANGELES - The omnipresent baritone and gravely bass undertones of Don LaFontaine's distinctive voice had the unique ability to seamlessly embellish big-screen kisses, slice through over-the-top explosions, perfectly pair with robust musical scores, glide alongside car chases and effortlessly co-star with any A-list talent in Hollywood. "He was the originator of the modern voiceover for movie trailers," said voiceover artist Jim Tasker. "He is the standard for which all other voiceovers for movie trailers are measured. For the past 30 years, his voice has been the gauge for all of us in the industry."
Until that Geico commercial I never had a face to the voice behind all those great movie trailer voice-overs. He had a way of selling the movie by his brief description and teasers.
Like Mel Blanc he'll be imitated but never equalled.

Definitely will be missed.

Brian King

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A few years ago I heard Mr. LaFontaine on a radio interview. Besides being talented which in of itself is not that big of a deal, this gentleman was a good person. He will be missed by many. My prayers go out to him and his family and friends.

RIP

Brian King

Latest Discussions