Greatest Interview of Frank Dux ever

Kittan Bachika

Purple Belt
Reaction score
This is brilliant. Watch/listen all 6 parts.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
K

Kittan Bachika

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Or you could just tell us what's so awesome to sell us on the idea of sitting and watching a 6 part interview with this guy.

I stated "Brilliant" not "Awesome".

A world of difference.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ok what was brilliant about it.
I mean I am listening to it with my headphone while working.
So far I am into the third part, and I am wondering what is so brilliant about it.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
For some reason, I put myself through the entire thing... it's basically an hour of Frank saying that the unverified things that no-one can find is a matter of public record, so there shouldn't be any doubt, and the completely bizarre things are him taken out of context, mis-quoted, mistrepresented, the editor changed what he said without his permission.... really, "brilliant"? Not sure about that....

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yep. I listened to the entire thing while coding.
I was a bit disappointed that Phil did no follow up by tracking down the supposed people who'd verify his military claims.

There was one interesting tidbit however. It was near the end (I forgot where exactly) where he says something along the lines of 'I am essentially self-taught'. That is in contrast to his secret ninja master claims from before.

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yep. I listened to the entire thing while coding.
I was a bit disappointed that Phil did no follow up by tracking down the supposed people who'd verify his military claims.

There was one interesting tidbit however. It was near the end (I forgot where exactly) where he says something along the lines of 'I am essentially self-taught'. That is in contrast to his secret ninja master claims from before.

It's thirty three seconds into the interview. It was intended to be a mild dig at Mr. Elmore, but I don't think it played out well.

He actually has had frmal training with a number of people (Jack Seki, Gerald Okimura, Ron Pierce et. al.) When he STARTED martial arts, however, he didn't have formal training. He started by practicing in an alley behind a dojo after watching classes.

My big question, though, is as to why this interview was brought up. Is the OP a student, fan, or detractor? I didn't post this interview because I am Mr. Dux's student and any time a student posts about their own instructor, the question of objectivity comes up, and rightfully so.

So kit... what's your purpose?

If it's to sing Hanshi's praises, you're wasting your time on this crowd, and the fan boy thing is kinda played out.

If you're here to start a flame war, this isn't the place. Check the terms and conditions. There are other websites more suited to that type of "discussion".

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well, if you're in Washington State, you can always come meet him. We have class on Sundays, as well.

OP
K

Kittan Bachika

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Thank you for the invitation.
Always thought he was in California.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Actually, I'm with Josh here. What exactly was your reason for posting the interview in the first place, Kittan? I ask because tonality can be very hard to determine with just a written word, and if I describe something as brilliant or awesome, in person I can add undertones of sarcasm, or demonstrate my serious appraisal of the subject. Here you haven't actually provided enough for us to know which you are intending. Especially when you contradict yourself:

I stated "Brilliant" not "Awesome".

A world of difference.

I just that it was awesome. That's it.

If it is sarcasm, fine. If it is approval of Frank and the interview he gave, fine. If it is approval of Phil and the interview he conducted, fine. There's no need for any of these reasons to become a flame war, we're just looking for some context here.

As Josh said, you're unlikely to change anyones opinion of him. Josh will still enjoy the classes and time he spends with Frank, and those of us that feel less generous towards Frank will only find our beliefs supported by the interview.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, he definately lives in Washington. That might be a different Frank Dux, but the one we're talking about I see every day.

so that joke went down well then.........

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hmm, so you answered my question (well, not really, but at least addressed bits of it), then edited it completely out of the forum? Okay....

But to address what you had originally written here, your stance is still not clear, but I don't think we'll get any clearer, Frank did not introduce "the touch of death to the mainstream", the Dim Mak concept was already pretty well mythologised, Bloodsport may well have been the big break for JCVD, but to say he owes his entire career to Frank is a little bit of an overstatement, I feel. He had been getting bigger and bigger roles already, that just happened to be the one that gave him the biggest exposure (personally, I prefer "No Retreat, No Surrender", with the kid learning from the ghost of Bruce Lee to take on the Russian JCVD... cheesy brilliance!), and you got the Barney Stinson reference wrong. The catch phrase is "Legen - wait for it - Dary!", not "legend - wait for it - dary". Just so you know....

Latest Discussions