Grandmaster Andy Ah Po

Master Ken

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am attending a seminar this Sunday in Manchester with GM Ah Po, has anyone else had a seminar taken by him.. what is he like??

Pil Seung

Master Ken

Dave Leverich

Black Belt
Reaction score
I've met him but not attended his seminars. Check with Fluffy here on the boards for more information.

Fluffy

Black Belt
Reaction score
He's a great guy! What kind of seminar will you be attending? Qigong, Tang Soo Do, both....?

He teaches through action, though he talks - he does not like to. You will sweat a bit, but he will not run you into the ground. But again it matters on the type of seminar you will be attending.

Congratulate him, he was just promoted to 9th Degree last June.

sabom_1

White Belt
Reaction score
I can tell you from personal experience that you will not be disappointed in any training or information on Tang Soo Do that Kwan Jang Nim Ah Po provides. You would be hard pressed to find anyone who is has more knowledge about TSD and is willing to share that knowledge. Simple awesome!

For all of those interested in the states on training and learning from Kwan Jang Nim Ah Po, I will be hosting him at my dojang in Pittsburgh, PA in October! Don't miss this awesome opportunity as Grandmaster Ah Po is one of the most sought after senior Tang Soo Do masters.

Grandmaster Ah Po will be teaching 2 Dan Clinics and 1 Gup Clinic. The following is the itenerary:

Friday, October 19th: 6:00 - 9:00PM
Black Belt Clinic: "Understanding the Difference and Significance of Tang Soo Do Weh Ga Ryu, Neh ga Ryu and Chung Ga Ryu in the Techniques and Hyung of Tang Soo Do"

Saturday, October 20th 2:00 - 4:00PM
All Belts: Understanding Your Responsibilities as a Tang Soo Do Student to Maximize Your Learning and Ability in Tang Soo Do" Grandmaster Ah Po will provide attendees with a forumula to utilize and practice which enhances their ability to learn Tang Soo Do. Both students and and Instructors will find equal benefit from the information and training provided by Grandmaster Ah Po!

Saturday, October 20th, 5:00 - 7:00PM
Black Belt Clinic: "Accessing and Channeling Your Ki (Chi Gong) During the Practice of Tang Soo Do"

Anyone interested can find more information at www.southhillskarate.com

Information about Kwan jang Nim Ah Po can be found here: http://www.tangsoodoworld.com/whos_who_profiles/andy_ahpo.htm

We all hope to see you in Pittsburgh!

Master Gene Garbowsky
South Hills Karate Academy
Tang Soo Do

OP
M

Master Ken

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thanks Guy's

GM Ah Po is conducting the 3 hour seminar base on Ki energy, I was at at Sah Bum Nim seminar last week and Master Kumar (7th Dan) said I must go even if it was just to meet him. Can't wait wait till Sunday

Pil Seung

Master Ken

JT_the_Ninja

Black Belt
Reaction score
Wow, 60 years. Interesting how I've only heard of him passingly before, and he's going to be in the South Hills, right in my area.

Is Pittsburgh one of the big TSD centers of the US, or is it just coincidence?

sabom_1

White Belt
Reaction score
JT,

Yes Pittsburgh is a large Tang Soo Do Center. I'm sure you can figure out why!

If you've been to my sight, you know my history. I know your instructor very well, as well as the ITF.

An opportunity to train with GM Ah Po is one that shouldn't be missed. There is much out there with regards to training in TSD that is not part of the ITF curriculum. From reading this sight and others, I'm sure that you've figured this out. Don't miss read what I say as I have the utmost respect for my former instructor.

You can PM me if you like and I can give you more details on the opportunity that I am presenting with GM Ah Po. I'm sure we can make some arrangements for you to attend. If you have read the flyer you can see that rates for attending are very reasonable. I can guarantee that you will take away information that will only add to your TSD training and experience.

Master Garbowsky
[email protected]
www.southhillskarate.com

cdunn

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Wow, 60 years. Interesting how I've only heard of him passingly before, and he's going to be in the South Hills, right in my area.

Is Pittsburgh one of the big TSD centers of the US, or is it just coincidence?

The greater Pittsburgh area has a LOT of Tang Soo Do - It is disproportionate here. I drove from Greensburg to Kennywood a few weeks ago. I passed three dojangs with the TSD hangul displayed on the half hour drive, and a studio or two not displaying their art, or displaying generic 'karate' signs. They were probably TSD too.

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'd love to be able to attend the all-belt clinic. I live near Endicott/Binghamton, NY.

sabom_1

White Belt
Reaction score
Lynne,

I know Master Rexer from our previous time together in the ITF. I will be attending his tournament along with some of my students on Oct. 6th. So I will see you then, I hope!

I have also sent him information regarding "our clinics" with GM Ah Po in Pittsburgh. I am sure that he will support your attendance at our Gup clinic in Pittsburgh. Please ask him about it if you truly wish to attend.

Hotel reservations need to be made by Sept. 28th to receive the discount rate. Again even though Master Rexer has the information, you can find it at our website at www.southhillskarate.com

Also the drive from Endicott to Pittsburgh is a nice enjoyable ride.

Master Garbowsky
Email: [email protected]
www.southhillskarate.com

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Lynne,

I know Master Rexer from our previous time together in the ITF. I will be attending his tournament along with some of my students on Oct. 6th. So I will see you then, I hope!

I have also sent him information regarding "our clinics" with GM Ah Po in Pittsburgh. I am sure that he will support your attendance at our Gup clinic in Pittsburgh. Please ask him about it if you truly wish to attend.

Hotel reservations need to be made by Sept. 28th to receive the discount rate. Again even though Master Rexer has the information, you can find it at our website at www.southhillskarate.com

Also the drive from Endicott to Pittsburgh is a nice enjoyable ride.

Master Garbowsky
Email: [email protected]
www.southhillskarate.com
Oh, good! I look forward to meeting you, Master Garbowsky. I wish your students an enjoyable time at the tournament.

JT_the_Ninja

Black Belt
Reaction score
The greater Pittsburgh area has a LOT of Tang Soo Do - It is disproportionate here. I drove from Greensburg to Kennywood a few weeks ago. I passed three dojangs with the TSD hangul displayed on the half hour drive, and a studio or two not displaying their art, or displaying generic 'karate' signs. They were probably TSD too.

Well C.S. Kim schools have "Karate" in their name, even though they're TSD...mostly because more people understand "karate" than "Tang Soo Do."

Maybe there are so many TSD schools in Pittsburgh because the ITF headquarters is there, and people who branched away just never moved far away.

Chizikunbo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
GM Ahpo was a charter member of the original United States Tang Soo Do Moo Duk Kwan Federation, he drafted the bylaws of that federation as well. He was a member of the USSBDTSDF form many years as a member of the TAC as well. He was commissioned by GM Hwang Kee to create a special patch for charter members (because he felt they should be instantly noticeable). GM Ahpo was tested an awarded 8th dan directly from KJN Hwang Kee...in the year 2000. In 2002 he was awarded 9th dan (the highest rank traditionally) by the Tang Soo Do Mi Guk Kwan Association. GM is often called the "Godfather" of Tang Soo Do...

He is well known for his Ki power demonstrations, something I hear is quite unique to him.

Dave Leverich

Black Belt
Reaction score
I wonder if he'd teach me that making the plant move Qigong...
I REALLY want to be a Jedi and that's just crazy fun :)
I think he might be at the HTF nationals in Reno (October), as it's TKD and TSD. I'll have to see if I can get a chance to speak with him again, it's been a few years.

Chizikunbo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I wonder if he'd teach me that making the plant move Qigong...

LOL My guess is no...GM Ahpo recently did, however, teach a senior Kodanja (i.e. other GM's and a few very senior Kodanja) weekend retreat seminar about the skill...alot was learned, but this is a skill that takes a lifetime to develop ;-) I have heard stories of folks asking him about it at the TSDMGK Nationals and he said "What are you talking about?" lol

--josh

Dave Leverich

Black Belt
Reaction score
Heh, I hear you.
I have a plan... I know a few GM's I'll see if I can't infiltrate! Heheh
There's some amazing looking stuff in Qigong for sure though, the health aspects alone seem phenomenal.

Chizikunbo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Heh, I hear you.
I have a plan... I know a few GM's I'll see if I can't infiltrate! Heheh
There's some amazing looking stuff in Qigong for sure though, the health aspects alone seem phenomenal.

Good Plan LOL let me know how it turns out :D

I second that, Kigong is PHENOMENAL...finding a skilled practicioner to teach it to you is the hard part :) though Dr. Yang, Jwing Ming does have several great resources on the subject...

take care,
--josh

mtabone

Green Belt
Reaction score
Josh,

I believe you have many of your facts concerning Kwan Jang Nim Ah Po wrong. First I was at all the Mi Guk Kwan Nationals, and I was present at the last one in Rhode Island. I talked with KJN Ah Po many times during that weekend. I even have a cool picture of him shaking my hand when I got promoted to Sabom. Regardless, I remember having a little talk with him about moving the plants, and energy, as he held a clinic for 5th Dans and up for the Mi Guk Kwan on just that topic. Interesting how he did not talk to anyone about the subject when you tell the story, but I heard him talk at about it a couple of times to various people at that event. KJN Ah Po wants to keep the skill a serious matter, and not a side show attraction. He is a humble man, who does not publicly display his abilities lightly.

A couple of Mi Guk Kwan Internationals back, my student, Connor McGinnis, a 9 year old Cho Dan at the time, was speaking at the banquette on Saturday night, and he was talking about his performance that tournament. He said, “ I was winning 8-0 and then I got disqualified” and it was funny, so laughter broke out…well, Connor thought we were all laughing at him which was not the case…so he slinked into the hall way after his little speech, and KJN Ah Po saw he was down and followed him. He said, “Winning and losing is not the issue. The true trophy is in your heart.” And with that he moved a plant which happened to be in the hallway next to where this conversation took place. “Anything you believe, you can achieve!” and went over to another plant, and moved that one. Connor can’t stop talking about it to this day, (neither can his dad who witnessed the whole thing.)

Funny, I don’t remember you being at any Mi Guk Kwan events Josh…

In all the clinics, classes, and talks with KJN Ah Po, who is my teacher’s (KJN Ferraro) teacher, I have had nothing but an excellent time, and have always come away learning something new and inspired about my training. What else is funny thing about the “lifetime to develop” thing about moving the plants is, how would you know? I mean, you where not there, did not see, hear, experience what the KDJ did that weekend, so how do you know it takes that long to do, even when I know many who took that clinic that weekend and can perform the plant moving demo, with perhaps not the same mastery as KJN Ah Po, but are on that path none the less…just interesting how people who where not at events and such feel so free to talk about them.

TANG SOO!!!

Mike Tabone

mtabone

Green Belt
Reaction score
Josh,

I believe you have many of your facts concerning Kwan Jang Nim Ah Po wrong. First I was at all the Mi Guk Kwan Nationals, and I was present at the last one in Rhode Island. I talked with KJN Ah Po many times during that weekend. I even have a cool picture of him shaking my hand when I got promoted to Sabom. Regardless, I remember having a little talk with him about moving the plants, and energy, as he held a clinic for 5th Dans and up for the Mi Guk Kwan on just that topic. Interesting how he did not talk to anyone about the subject when you tell the story, but I heard him talk at about it a couple of times to various people at that event. KJN Ah Po wants to keep the skill a serious matter, and not a side show attraction. He is a humble man, who does not publicly display his abilities lightly.

A couple of Mi Guk Kwan Internationals back, my student, Connor McGinnis, a 9 year old Cho Dan at the time, was speaking at the banquette on Saturday night, and he was talking about his performance that tournament. He said, “ I was winning 8-0 and then I got disqualified” and it was funny, so laughter broke out…well, Connor thought we were all laughing at him which was not the case…so he slinked into the hall way after his little speech, and KJN Ah Po saw he was down and followed him. He said, “Winning and losing is not the issue. The true trophy is in your heart.” And with that he moved a plant which happened to be in the hallway next to where this conversation took place. “Anything you believe, you can achieve!” and went over to another plant, and moved that one. Connor can’t stop talking about it to this day, (neither can his dad who witnessed the whole thing.)

Funny, I don’t remember you being at any Mi Guk Kwan events Josh…

In all the clinics, classes, and talks with KJN Ah Po, who is my teacher’s (KJN Ferraro) teacher, I have had nothing but an excellent time, and have always come away learning something new and inspired about my training. What else is funny thing about the “lifetime to develop” thing about moving the plants is, how would you know? I mean, you where not there, did not see, hear, experience what the KDJ did that weekend, so how do you know it takes that long to do, even when I know many who took that clinic that weekend and can perform the plant moving demo, with perhaps not the same mastery as KJN Ah Po, but are on that path none the less…just interesting how people who where not at events and such feel so free to talk about them.

TANG SOO!!!

Mike Tabone