Grammar and spelling tips

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Xequat said:
Nah, I love it just the way it is. Unless someone wants to add a few buckets of mud or something slippery. That could be fun. Has anyone seen my hat? It fell off in the pile.

When did people start thinking that the word "myself" is more polite than the word "me?" I see that a lot, too. I hear people saying things like "please talk to myself or Bob about whatever," when it should be "Bob or me." For some reasons, people think that it should always be "Sarah and I" or myself and Feisty Mouse." For example, Sarah and I jumped on the pile, but she got off, leaving Feisty Mouse and me on the floor. Then I laughed myself silly when Joe tried to jump on and Sarah tripped him so he missed the pile. That's how you use those words. I haven't really seen it here, but I hear it a lot. A simple rule is to break the sentence down into two parts. If you want someone to give something to you or someone else, then say "please give it to Joe or me" because "please give it Joe" and "please give it to me" are both proper clauses or sentences; therefore, you can combine them by using the same pronous into "please give to Joe or me," always listing yourself last. But people start sentences with "myself and Sarah" and you shouldn't do that if you care about pronouns.

1. Perfect! I'll get a lawn chair and a few long island iced tea drinks for the men.

2. That is just to mind boggling for a simple @ss like me.

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
jfarnsworth said:
1. Perfect! I'll get a lawn chair and a few long island iced tea drinks for the men.
Hmmmm... this needs to be more interesting...

*signals the crane to let loose the 50 gallons of Jello he ordered for this event*

*Grabs a Guinness out of the fridge, pulls up a lawn chair, and enjoys the show*

Sarah

Senior Master
Reaction score
**Looks up....covered in jello, sees Brad sitting there with cheeky grin! wispers to the ladies!..........takes a running jump and lands on top of Brad covering him in Jello!......COME ON LADIES!**

OUMoose said:
Hmmmm... this needs to be more interesting...

*signals the crane to let loose the 50 gallons of Jello he ordered for this event*

*Grabs a Guinness out of the fridge, pulls up a lawn chair, and enjoys the show*

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
LOL... Pile on all you want, just DON'T SPILL THE GUINNESS!!!!

OP
Xequat

Xequat

Black Belt
Reaction score
jfarnsworth said:

2. That is just to mind boggling for a simple @ss like me.
Thanks, I could use a cold one. Worked up a sweat in there; these girls are tough.

Dont you mean too mind-boggling?

Probably better to be a simple *** than a smartass like me, hehehe.

Sarah

Senior Master
Reaction score
**Takes the Guinness....skulls it in one go.....give's Brad and wink and signals for the ladies to jump on!**

OUMoose said:
LOL... Pile on all you want, just DON'T SPILL THE GUINNESS!!!!

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Flatlander said:
In all honesty, I haven't the education to justify this great honour.
Oh yeah, and we'd have to remember that you use the King's English, doncha? Honour and Neighbour and all that.

* signals to others ... ready? 1...2...3...*

BANZAI!!!

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Xequat said:
Thanks, I could use a cold one. Worked up a sweat in there; these girls are tough..
Nothing wrong with girls being tough. I kind of like a woman who has a little fire in them. %-}

Dont you mean too mind-boggling?
Damn. You know.... I actually did have that first then changed it after I re-read it. :rolleyes: Wish I would have paid more attention in english class. :)

Probably better to be a simple *** than a smartass like me, hehehe.
I like plain old simple. It's easier to live my life that way.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OUMoose said:
Cool, pull up a chair and we'll sip our bevridge and watch the ladies. :uhyeah:

R

raedyn

shesulsa said:
open discussion and questions would be cool
Yeah. Cuz sometimes you just don't know the answer. I'm pretty good with most of what people have griped about on here (its/it's, their/there/they're, etc) but there are certain things I've never quite figured out. So to avoid those problems I will go to great lengths to find another way to construct the sentence so I don't show my wrong-ness.

Example: I don't know how to spell "descision" so I usually change it to "choice" when I type it. Is that sad, that I change the way I write things to avoid showing I don't know something? Does that make me a geek? Am I the only one? *looking for Kleenex and a geek-girl support group*

Example: I never did figure out the whole who/whom issue.

Sarah

Senior Master
Reaction score
HAHA Geek-Girl...that sounds like some kind of comic book super hero!

Look....its 'Geek-Girl'.....Looking at Raedyn dressed in a figure hugging outfit with hands on hips!

hehehe......by the way, its Decision....so your...oopps I mean you're pretty close!! (even I have spell check)

**throws some jello at Geek-Girl**

raedyn said:
Yeah. Cuz sometimes you just don't know the answer. I'm pretty good with most of what people have griped about on here (its/it's, their/there/they're, etc) but there are certain things I've never quite figured out. So to avoid those problems I will go to great lengths to find another way to construct the sentence so I don't show my wrong-ness.

Example: I don't know how to spell "descision" so I usually change it to "choice" when I type it. Is that sad, that I change the way I write things to avoid showing I don't know something? Does that make me a geek? Am I the only one? *looking for Kleenex and a geek-girl support group*

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sarah said:
I think maybe Steve has passed out from having 4 woman wriggling round on top of him...:rolleyes:

Uh, no. I'm still here. Forgive me if I don't stand up right away. That tweaked my back a bit. Uh, yeah...that's it. I can't stand up because my back is sore.

Can we...can we do that again? I mean can YOU do that again?

Regards,

Steve

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
raedyn said:
I think I'm about to embarrass myself with rusty Latin (worse than a rusty knife)....

I believe "who" is used in most cases (let's see - nominative, declarative, accusative, and genative, right? Ah crap!), but "whom" is used in the ablative case - i.e. "to/for whom".

"To whom are you addressing your question?"

and

"For whom are you looking, madam?"

Please someone correct me if I'm wrong, and have spilled sour Latin all over myself.

ETA: See, Steve? Who knew that grammar could be such a team sport?

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
Okay. It's okay for me to stand up now that my participle is dangling. Fifteen minutes ago that might have caused me some embarrasment.

On with the topic...

"Who is that over there?"
"To whom are you speaking?"

Two examples of what I believe is proper usage. "Who do I give it too" isn't vulgar or improper. "Whom do I give it to" sounds awkward and I believe is incorrect.

Here's a useful site:

http://englishplus.com/grammar/

Regards,

Steve

Regards,

Steve

OP
Xequat

Xequat

Black Belt
Reaction score
The way I usually remember that one is: "he = who" and "him = whom." Basically, you use "who" for the subject and "whom" when it's an object. For example, you could say "I jumped on the pile with him;" therefore, "I jumped on the pile with whom?" Or, "He jumped on the pile," so "Who jumped on the pile?" Hard to explain in text, but I hope that that little sound trick of "he-who, him-whom" helps some.

Thanks for the website, HHJH.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
Anybody want to give me advice about semicolons? Not that I use them a lot (notice that?) on MT but in helping my son on his composition papers, I think I have led him astray. What's the rules on independent and dependent clauses and commas or semicolons again? I've been too long out of school. sigh! TW

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Sarah said:
YAY Munchies!!!

....me thinking we need more men in this pile!!

**Looks up and signals Joe to jump in!!**

ooppss...sorry for the bad grammar...hehe
Oh crap I can't get out of it I am jumping into the pile

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
hardheadjarhead said:
It's okay for me to stand up now that my participle is dangling.
*covers eyes* Man! Tuck that thing in, will ya? And don't tell me you'd have to unlace your boot to do so!

Latest Discussions