Grammar and spelling tips

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well. Another one that I screwed up in the past, Feisty.

You're all ganging up on me, is that it? This is a "make fun of Steve's grammar" thread. You and Shesula tag-teaming me. Do you have any idea how that will effect me? Its so painful. It hurts me more then you can ever know.

Regards,

Steve

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
lol - like I *don't* mess these up too? :boing1:

Come on, I'm sure there are some you've seen us make errors with....

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
LOL Steve - chill out - have some doobage and relax, man. Go back to the cannibis thread.

*psst - Feisty - go long*

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
can't find feet... in wrong thread!

Oh wait... there we go. Running to go long...!

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wow.

Welcome to the Grammar nazi thread of MT.

alot of the time its just nitpicking to be sure.

Cuz lets face it folks, whats more annoying... alot of ' forgeting or:

u no wat i think? soem times u r so picky.

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Aw crap, now, see what happens? We get a good vent thread goin' and poke fun at our own foibles and John, who clearly needs to go to the Brotherhood of the Smackdown and work off some steam, takes it way too personally.

Sarcasm abounds!!!

An adventurer is me!

I don't care too much how people on the forum spell or mix up their thens and thans or its or it's or you or youse or nuttin'.

Now go wrestle a troll or something.

OP
Xequat

Xequat

Black Belt
Reaction score
RandomPhantom700 said:
Let me make this thread a lot shorter than it needs to be: if you're not sure about your grammer or spelling, and actually care, copy and paste your post into a word document, and check for any red or green squiggly lines. If none, you're good to go.

Nothing personal, but it would be a lot shorter if people who don't care didn't post here (unless you're joking, of course). I mean, I usually skip the threads on TKD because I don't happen to study it and therefore don't really care. It's a respectable art and all, just not the one I happened to choose, so I try to stay in threads where I can either learn or contribute something. You are right; the message is what's important, not the letters. And we all usually understand everyone. This is for the people like me who actually care. Call me boring, call me nerdly, whatever, heh.

By the way, you spelled grammar wrong. :)

Anyway, here's another common one I see out there a lot. I even saw it on a commercial the other day. It's the word "literally." People, for some odd reason, have started using it for emphasis like the word "very." It doesn't mean that. It is for describing something and pointing out that it was in the literal sense. For example : I worked my butt off in karate class. That just means that you worked out hard. But if you add the word literally, then you are saying that your butt is smaller, which can happen, or that you actually don't have one any more. That's it.

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
LOL Steve - chill out - have some doobage and relax, man. Go back to the cannibis thread.

*psst - Feisty - go long*

<Inhales deeply, speaks with full lungs in a tight voice>

What the heck, I brought some over with me.

So...like...my use of the ellipses even though I know it's improper...is that...like....wrong? I mean, you know, can we play with the language a bit? Or is it, like, carved in stone as to what we can or can't do.

Anybody here ever try havarti on oreos? It's kinda good. I wish I had some garlic dip.

Regards,

Steve

M

MisterMike

Flatlander said:
This is unnatural, and not reccommended. Feta on Ritz crackers would be my suggestion.

I always go with the imported stuff. It's a little more creamy.

OP
Xequat

Xequat

Black Belt
Reaction score
When I get the munchies, peanut butter goes with anything...even pepperoni.

thread drift, oops!

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
peanut butter on ritz dipped in onion dip washed down with garlic chicken pizza and ginger ale.

Yeah ... now we're talkin'... thanks, Steve, I feel so ... much ... better ... now.

Here's a good one - the word " irregardless "

I just looked it up in the dictionary and, unfortunately, it means the same as "regardless" but to me, "regardless" sounds more appropriate or neater.

I guess I'm baseless on this, so ... I guess I'll just shut up ... Hey, Steve, pass it on the left hand side.

OP
Xequat

Xequat

Black Belt
Reaction score
Nope, I think you're right, but irregardless, even though it's a stupid word, being a double-negative, has been used so often that it has recently been added to the language. Be wrong enough times and I guess it becomes right. Then again, I guess it's the way evolution of the language works. I'm definitely with ya, though. It shouldn't be a word.

I heard another good one earlier today : very unique. Um, there's either one of something or there isn't. You can't be "very unique." Thought it was kind of funny.

I'm sure we'll have more. Thanks for all of the posts; hope it helps.

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
Here's a good one - the word " irregardless "

I just looked it up in the dictionary and, unfortunately, it means the same as "regardless" but to me, "regardless" sounds more appropriate or neater.
Because of that, I use "irrespective" so as to mitigate the potential for endorsing either. If the powers that be cannot decide definitively, I choose to circumvent.

Sarah

Senior Master
Reaction score
This thread is a total crack up.......give em hell Gerogia & FM

So if anyone gets annoyed with bad spelling and bad grammar, steer clear of me on MSN, because I’m the worst....my fingers have a mind of their own ya know! :rolleyes:

M

Melissa426

Xequat said:
I believe that "its" is the only possessive word that doesn't use an apostrophe.
I believe the words "his" and "hers" and qualify as possesive words that don't use apostrophes???

BTW, I have a question for you, Xequat.
Should "obsessive compulsive" be hyphenated?

Thanks,
Melissa

OP
Xequat

Xequat

Black Belt
Reaction score
Melissa426 said:
I believe the words "his" and "hers" and qualify as possesive words that don't use apostrophes???

BTW, I have a question for you, Xequat.
Should "obsessive compulsive" be hyphenated?

Thanks,
Melissa
ROFL. I assume you're joking, but yes it should have a hyphen because the disorder refers to someone who is both obsessive and compulsive, but the words don't describe each other. I guess I know that because I am obsessive.

Good point about "his" and "hers." I forgot.

So if anyone gets annoyed with bad spelling and bad grammar, steer clear of me on MSN, because I’m the worst....my fingers have a mind of their own ya know! :rolleyes: - Sarah

Hm, so do mine, but I haven't had any complaints...oh wait, you meant on the keyboard.

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Xequat said:
So if anyone gets annoyed with bad spelling and bad grammar, steer clear of me on MSN, because I’m the worst....my fingers have a mind of their own ya know! :rolleyes: - Sarah

Hm, so do mine, but I haven't had any complaints...oh wait, you meant on the keyboard.
:partyon: :boing1: :bs: :rofl: :lol: :roflmao: :D :cheers: very funny still laughing but if that were true than this would be you :ladysman:

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sarah said:
So if anyone gets annoyed with bad spelling and bad grammar, steer clear of me on MSN, because I’m the worst....my fingers have a mind of their own ya know! :rolleyes:

I've noticed that a time or 2. :uhyeah: