Grammar and spelling tips

Xequat

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'd like to start a thread not to sound smarter than I am or anything, but just to compile some of the grammatical errors we see here and elsewhere for those who might not know better. Most of the times, the errors here don't detract from the message that's being posted, so maybe it's not a big deal, but it is something I kind of enjoy, so I'll start.

A lot - alot is not a word. It's two words as in "one lot."

It's and its - "It's" is a shortened form of two words - "it" and "is." The word "its" is the possessive. For example : It's great to be here, but my car blew its tire. I believe that "its" is the only possessive word that doesn't use an apostrophe.

I'll think of more, but I'm at work now. Feel free to add some or if you have questions, I can probably answer them.

M

MisterMike

Good point. It could come off to some as racist or even class warfare.

OP
Xequat

Xequat

Black Belt
Reaction score
Flatlander said:
Xequat, does this really need to be in the Study?
I don't know, I just scrolled through the choices and this one seemed the most appropriate. Especially now, since it's about race and class. :)

GAB

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Xequat said:
I don't know, I just scrolled through the choices and this one seemed the most appropriate. Especially now, since it's about race and class. :)
Hi,

Since it is about race and class. I thought this would be appropriate.
Sensei (teacher), class over.

Regards, Gary

M

MisterMike

Flatlander said:
Are you saying you're better than me, or you just don't like my kind?

Let's just say I don't believe in the "King's English" :jedi1:

:) :) :) :) :)

RandomPhantom700

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Let me make this thread a lot shorter than it needs to be: if you're not sure about your grammer or spelling, and actually care, copy and paste your post into a word document, and check for any red or green squiggly lines. If none, you're good to go.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
You got me. I say alot really a whole lot, a lot of times and not just a few times but if it bugs anybody I will certainly change my lot to just a lot. TW

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
well i must say.........most people are a product of a government approved education system, and they generally get the same kind of teaching....generally.
i dont think there is anything wrong with pointing out grammatical errors.
heck, whenever i type a contraction i never put in the apostrophe........some people cant even spell apostrophe.....and for the most part i never use upper case letters.
we live in a world that now dus a hole pyle of comunicashunn online. the leest we culd do iz tri 2 due sum juctise 2 de prynted wurd.

shawn

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
Xequat said:
A lot - alot is not a word. It's two words as in "one lot."

It's and its - "It's" is a shortened form of two words - "it" and "is." The word "its" is the possessive. For example : It's great to be here, but my car blew its tire. I believe that "its" is the only possessive word that doesn't use an apostrophe.

"It's" used to be used as a possessive about two hundred years ago. Thomas Jefferson, I believe, used to prefer its use.

This is one I still get messed up if I'm not paying attention. Its...er...it's difficult sometimes when you're typing fast to recall where the apostrophe goes.

"Alot" is certainly not a word. Thanks alot for posting that.

Regards,

Steve

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Most of my errors occur because I'm in such a hurry to type it out, then flip the steak over, etcetera, and since the "Paste" function is not working in my Mozilla (dunno why, never figgered it owt), y'all are stuck with my bumblings until I do figger it owt.

Meahwhile, here's a pet peeve of mine.

"Then" is a word that answers the question "When?"

"Than" is a word used in comparisons.

Examples:

"Finish cleaning your room, then you can have some popcorn."

and

"I like beef better than I like chicken." or "My candidate is better than your candidate."

There; I hope we will all be better off than we were before, then.

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
"Finish cleaning your room, then you can have some popcorn."

and

"I like beef better than I like chicken." or "My candidate is better than your candidate."

There; I hope we will all be better off than we were before, then.

Oh, great. You've got me all paranoid now (I just got back from the marijuana legalization thread, and I am SOOO hammered)...now I'm worried whether I've been doing this. Then I ought be more careful than I have been in the past.

Regards,

Steve

M

MisterMike

Someone mentioned using microsoft word to do a quick check and I think that is a good idea because sometimes I do not know where to put in periods and commas and use a lot of conjunctions in the wrong spot and then it is really really hard to read but usually nobody notices except one time in school I got a bad mark on my paper but it didn't affect (not effect) my grade too much because I still got a B for the semester and usually I got some sort of monetary reward from my parents.

RandomPhantom700

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I can understand how these details, such as which form of "than/then" or of "its" to use, would be important on a term paper or an inter-office memo, but we're talking about anonymous internet forums. So long as we know what you're talking about, who cares?

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I *heart* this thread.

I am a self-professed grammar geek, even though I c**k it up as much as anyone who is typing as they think, and then immediately posting for all to see.

Its and it's is a good one.

Another fun one:

"affect" - verb, as in "Rising CO2 levels affect the Earth's atmospheric content."

"effect" - noun, as in "We are looking for the effects of global climate change in the Arctic."

Latest Discussions